PiPress: Austin Hollins struggling in Big Ten play

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Hollins is averaging just 7.8 points on 28 percent shooting from the field in four Big Ten games for the Gophers (13-4, 2-2), who play their toughest home game this season Thursday night against No. 11 Ohio State (15-2, 2-2) at Williams Arena.

"We need him to score the basketball, certainly," Gophers coach Richard Pitino said. "He's a good enough player all-around to impact the game offensively, as well as defensively. We need him to be a major factor offensively."

"I'm not putting Austin on the bench," he said. "Austin has had a major, major hand in our 13 wins; certainly we're not going to abandon that game plan at all. I don't think taking Michigan State into overtime and losing to them deserves me shuffling the lineup too much."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...etball-austin-hollins-struggling-big-ten-play

Go Gophers!!

It's very apparent Gophers are a completely different team when Austin is playing well on the offensive end.

He'll get going again. He's too good of a player not to.

It's very apparent Gophers are a completely different team when Austin is playing well on the offensive end.

He'll get going again. He's too good of a player not to.

With this murderers row coming up, it needs to be sooner rather than later.

Austin struggling

I wish they could run some plays to get him the ball closer to the basket. Most of the plays we have for him are comming of screen curls at the three point line, and when open, shooting the 3 and missing which is just hurting his confidence. He jumps really high and has a ton of movement on his shot, when its off, it is really off. He also has shakey ball handling to drive from the three all the way to the rim. I wish we could get him the ball around 15 or 12 feet with one or two dribbles he could rise up and over people with his leaping ability. Making a shot or two inside could help him with this funk. He is a streaky 3 pt shooter i hope it returns soon, but i don't know that you want him taking 5-6 a game right now. 3 pt shots that come from a pass inside out are much easier to make then the curls off of screens while pivoting to square up.

With this murderers row coming up, it needs to be sooner rather than later.

I wish they could run some plays to get him the ball closer to the basket. Most of the plays we have for him are comming of screen curls at the three point line, and when open, shooting the 3 and missing which is just hurting his confidence. He jumps really high and has a ton of movement on his shot, when its off, it is really off. He also has shakey ball handling to drive from the three all the way to the rim. I wish we could get him the ball around 15 or 12 feet with one or two dribbles he could rise up and over people with his leaping ability. Making a shot or two inside could help him with this funk. He is a streaky 3 pt shooter i hope it returns soon, but i don't know that you want him taking 5-6 a game right now. 3 pt shots that come from a pass inside out are much easier to make then the curls off of screens while pivoting to square up.

Tubby used to run that curl for him off of the elbow quite a bit that he used to shoot at a decent percentage. I think that's exactly what your describing.

His best "3 " shot is a spot up three off the catch. He's horrible on the curl off the screen. If you watch him he doesn't
go straight up with the shot. His body is at an angle. He also shouldn't be shooting the 3 off the dribble. For Austin, other then the spot up 3 it should be: " no shot 15 feet out " Even Oto is stroking it better!!

They've run a curl for him off a screen on the wing with more of a driving purpose than a shooting purpose. I'd like to see something like that more often to try to get him going with some easier shots in the lane.

His best "3 " shot is a spot up three off the catch. He's horrible on the curl off the screen. If you watch him he doesn't
go straight up with the shot. His body is at an angle. He also shouldn't be shooting the 3 off the dribble. For Austin, other then the spot up 3 it should be: " no shot 15 feet out " Even Oto is stroking it better!!

Yep. He needs to catch and shoot or take it to the rack. He has no business trying anything else on offense.

Yep. He needs to catch and shoot or take it to the rack. He has no business trying anything else on offense.

Disagree. Last year he had a nice mid-range jumper off that curl on the elbow. We ran that play 3-4 times a game last year.

Disagree. Last year he had a nice mid-range jumper off that curl on the elbow. We ran that play 3-4 times a game last year.

Look at his percentages. I highly doubt it was any good last year. He's never been able to shoot.

Besides, mid-range jump shots aren't good shots to take.

Look at his percentages. I highly doubt it was any good last year. He's never been able to shoot.

Besides, mid-range jump shots aren't good shots to take.

Never been able to shoot? He shot 34% and 37% from over the past 2 years. Not great, but not terrible.

Look at what percentages? Do you have a shot chart for him? I'm telling you he hit that jumper consistently last year. They ran that play from out of bounds and out of timeouts all the time.

Never been able to shoot? He shot 34% and 37% from over the past 2 years. Not great, but not terrible.

Look at what percentages? Do you have a shot chart for him? I'm telling you he hit that jumper consistently last year. They ran that play from out of bounds and out of timeouts all the time.

I will have to take your word for it. All I remember about inbounds plays is that we literally never got the ball in without difficulty. The majority of the time we threw it into the back court amd required the receiver to make a moderately difficult catch. Tubby didn't know how to get the ball in.

Austin Hollins shot 21.3% on 2-point jumpers last year and is shooting 26.3% this year, per hoop-math.com

The problem with having Austin come off curl screens at the 3 pt line are two fold.
1. He doesnt go straight up like someone said, he is best shooting 3's in transition or from an inside out pass.
2. His ball handling rarely allows him to drive all the way from the 3pt line to the basket.
3. He has an outstanding vertical, let him use it with a jump stop comming off the elbow screens like someone already said. If he is out there on offense you might as well try and make him productive?

Top Bottom