Rising star Richard Pitino?

GopherFan88

Reaction score
One ESPN analyst thinks so. ;)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p># 1 b/c in USA Appling & Harris score 43 btw them to lead SPARTY to tough OT W over Gophers now 13-4 under rising STAR Richard Pitino</p>— Dick Vitale (@DickieV) <a href="https://twitter.com/DickieV/statuses/422164093047685122">January 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dickie V is kind of an idiot, but I'll always take some love from an ESPN talking head.

Dickie V is kind of an idiot, but I'll always take some love from an ESPN talking head.

Exactly, but he's the highest profile voice in college basketball and has been for more than 30 years, so to get that kind of shout out is a priceless recruiting tool. I hope Richard forwards that Tweet to every kid on his radar, after all, what teenager doesn't want to play for a rising star?

Not a huge Dickie V fan, but I do follow him on twitter and I am continually impressed how often he takes time out of his day to pose for pictures or give autographs to people that stop him during the course of a day. I do agree that pr like this is good stuff.

I love Dickie V. You guys say Idiot, while I say over excited broadcaster who loves his job. He's giving a lot to CBB and I love when he broadcasts games.

I love Dickie V. You guys say Idiot, while I say over excited broadcaster who loves his job. He's giving a lot to CBB and I love when he broadcasts games.

Totally agree. Dickie V adds a lot to any game he broadcasts. Plus, he is no dummy.

People get tired of his over the top "schtick", but go ga-ga when Gus Johnson creams his pants because somebody dunks a basketball. The guy knows hoops. I'm a sucker, so I'll buy whatever Richard is selling. If the mark of Pitino is "his players" and he keeps bringing in guys like Malik Smith and Mathieu, sign me up.

Vitale was the forerunner of what's becoming a pretty widespread phenomenon. He wasn't a bad coach in his own right and could have stuck with coaching, but he decided early on that broadcasting was what he wanted to do. Look around the airwaves now and you'll find a lot of very good to excellent coaches who have gotten out of the frying pan.

I wouldn't mind him as much (or may even like him) if he wasn't so biased towards some teams.

Exactly, but he's the highest profile voice in college basketball and has been for more than 30 years, so to get that kind of shout out is a priceless recruiting tool. I hope Richard forwards that Tweet to every kid on his radar, after all, what teenager doesn't want to play for a rising star?

Richard shouldn't because it'll make him look like an egomaniac and narcissist or Tom Crean like, but someone within the basketball or athletic department could. Dickie V was also a pretty good coach for Detroit

Vitale was the forerunner of what's becoming a pretty widespread phenomenon. He wasn't a bad coach in his own right and could have stuck with coaching, but he decided early on that broadcasting was what he wanted to do. Look around the airwaves now and you'll find a lot of very good to excellent coaches who have gotten out of the frying pan.

And a lot of ex-jocks that totally butcher the English language.

Dr.Don is a Depends Dandy Babeee!:cool03:

I didn't think this deserved it's own thread so I'll share it here because it's kind of related. I was browsing a popular Vikings message board and came upon a topic " I am really liking this new Gophers basketball coach". I clicked on it and the thread starter briefly stated how impressed he was with the Gophers almost beating a top 5 team on the road and how nobody expected them to do anything this year. He then closes his post with " I can see one of the big programs stealing him away in a couple of years". The one response to the post? "He's as good as gone in a couple years".

Is this inferiority complex inbred in all Minnesotan's? The Twin Cities is the 15th largest media market in the United States...it's a big boy place. If Coach Pitino has success, he will be featured on ESPN and Dickie V will be singing his praises from the Barn, not just on Twitter. The anxiety that will cause those who are just sure he's going to leave little old Minnesota might prevent them from enjoying that success.

Gotta get the new practice facilities built or he may be gone in a couple of years. By the way, any word on how Norwood is doing with this "little project"?

I didn't think this deserved it's own thread so I'll share it here because it's kind of related. I was browsing a popular Vikings message board and came upon a topic " I am really liking this new Gophers basketball coach". I clicked on it and the thread starter briefly stated how impressed he was with the Gophers almost beating a top 5 team on the road and how nobody expected them to do anything this year. He then closes his post with " I can see one of the big programs stealing him away in a couple of years". The one response to the post? "He's as good as gone in a couple years".

Is this inferiority complex inbred in all Minnesotan's? The Twin Cities is the 15th largest media market in the United States...it's a big boy place. If Coach Pitino has success, he will be featured on ESPN and Dickie V will be singing his praises from the Barn, not just on Twitter. The anxiety that will cause those who are just sure he's going to leave little old Minnesota might prevent them from enjoying that success.
I know coaches lie sometimes but whenever this topic comes up I remember when Rick told the BTN announcers that Richard would "die here" or something like that.

Coaches coach because they want to win a National Championship. They are also not stupid, if we can't deliver facilities and other intangibles competitive with top programs, a coach will leave for a better opportunity to get to the pinnacle of their profession.

Now, a large media market and good fan base should yield facilities, etc. So far it hasn't. It's not like any of us haven't left our department in the pursuit of a job up the "ladder". Why would coaching be any different? It isn't an inferiority complex, it's the reality of the current state of the program which will hopefully change under Teague.

I know coaches lie sometimes but whenever this topic comes up I remember when Rick told the BTN announcers that Richard would "die here" or something like that.

Yeah, I remember reading that comment, but I don't know the full context. I certainly hope he wasn't trying to say " if he stays here he'll die".

Richard shouldn't because it'll make him look like an egomaniac and narcissist or Tom Crean like, but someone within the basketball or athletic department could. Dickie V was also a pretty good coach for Detroit

What is recruiting but selling? And I have never met a single great sales person who wasn't an egomaniac or narcissist (and like him or not, you've got to admit that Crean is a hell of a recruiter).

Richard has to win something here before other programs will consider him a candidate.

I personally think he'll be here for the long haul if he is successful. It could just be coach speak, but he seems to really like the U for various reasons. He has repeatedly said the fact Minnesota is the only D-1 program in the state is a huge inherent advantage. Which I think is true. He also seems to have a very good relationship with Teague and Ellis. This is something his father brings up every single time he talks about his son and taking the Minnesota job. It sounds like prior to Richard taking the job, Rick asked his contacts around the country about Teague and Ellis and came away very impressed. Lastly, it seems as though Richard is the type of person that would rather pave his own way instead of taking the baton from his father at Louisville. He is very clearly proud to be the son of his father, but he also seems to be very independent and motivated to prove he is more than just a coach with a famous last name. As a result I see a place like Minnesota being much more attractive to him than Louisville or another blue blood.

And if he restores our program and elevates us, but leaves for another program, I say we just hire Ben Johnson.

As is the case in any sport, at any school, Mr Pitino has to succeed before anyone else will want him. But if he does succeed, what would keep him here?! Minnesota has a lot of inherent positives that could HELP keep him here, but to be honest, if we don't get the practice facility going, we won't keep Pitino or any other decent coach, EVER!!!!! If we start to invent in our bb program, Mr. Pitino could retire here!!!! And we could literally win a Natl Championship, too, as anything is possible these days in college bb. But I can almost guarantee you that it will not happen without that investment to the practice facility.

As is the case in any sport, at any school, Mr Pitino has to succeed before anyone else will want him. But if he does succeed, what would keep him here?! Minnesota has a lot of inherent positives that could HELP keep him here, but to be honest, if we don't get the practice facility going, we won't keep Pitino or any other decent coach, EVER!!!!! If we start to invent in our bb program, Mr. Pitino could retire here!!!! And we could literally win a Natl Championship, too, as anything is possible these days in college bb. But I can almost guarantee you that it will not happen without that investment to the practice facility.

This.

As DiNardo said about the football team on BTN: MN will never be better than middle of the pack in the Big Ten until they upgrade their practice facilities.

No one is like anyone else. Each and every person is his own person. On the other hand, every person is like some other person.

per Jon Rothstein:

- Who is the breakout star in the Big Ten? It could be Richard Pitino. Minnesota’s first-year coach may be 2-2 after four league games but he took Michigan State to overtime on Saturday in East Lansing and has had a chance to win each conference game he’s played. I was concerned how the Gophers would do this season after losing three starters off last year’s team that reached the Round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament, but Pitino has really got his guys to respond and play at a high level.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/01...ege-hoops-notebook-saint-louis-oklahoma-more/

Go Gophers!!

I'm curious in what way you think that is the case. Because, Richard certainly acts and talks more like Rick than Billy.

I don't have time to track them down at the moment, but I recall several interviews with Rick after Richard was hired in which Rick said Richard is more like Billy.

Top Bottom