Q&A: Carson Shanks Excited to Join Gophers, Eager to Work Hard & Continue Development

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Carson Shanks Excited to Join Gophers, Eager to Work Hard & Continue Development

Q&A: Carson Shanks Excited to Join Gophers, Eager to Work Hard and Continue Development
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/326556?referrer_id=388419

Carson Shanks, a 7-foot center from Prior Lake (Minn.) High, decided to leave the Utah State program at the semester break and is expected to enroll at Minnesota.

Shanks averaged 12 points, eight rebounds and four rebounds per game last season as the Lakers finished 19-8. They were upset by Lakeville South 75-63 in the first round of the playoffs.

Shanks come from a basketball family. His father, Michael, played at Northern State and his uncle (Brian Shanks), who is 7-3, played at South Dakota State.

Shanks talked to Gopher Hole Thursday morning at Lifetime Fitness, while was working out with former Gopher Mitch Ohnstad, about his decision to leave Utah State and future plans.

Gopher Hole: So when are you enrolling at Minnesota?

Carson Shanks: Well, first, I have to get admitted first. The cat is coming out of the bag on that. The admissions process is going on right now. Just waiting to hear more. Once I know more, I can officially announce everything.

Gopher Hole: When does school start?

Carson Shanks: I think it is January 27th.

Gopher Hole: So, in a perfect world, you are hoping to have everything done by then, right?

Carson Shanks: They have told us that sometime this week, I should know for certain and then from there, we will move on from there.

Gopher Hole: What lead you to decide to go to Minnesota?

Carson Shanks: I went to Utah State and on the drive home, I got a few calls from a few different schools and Ben Johnson called me, who had recruited me at UNI and Nebraska, so I had a good relationship with him. He called me and said that "We want you, We want you to come visit. Pitino wants to work you out" and I went from there.

Gopher Hole: Was it a tough decision to leave Utah State? I know that you had committed to them as a junior.

Carson Shanks: I made some really good relationships there. I couldn't say a bad thing about that school. It wasn't necessarily the right fit for me. Distance-wise from home, I didn't like being that far away. It was not an easy decision.

Gopher Hole: Local fans have not seen you since your high schools days. How has your game changed?

Carson Shanks: From high school compared to now, I was not in great shape. I have gotten into a lot better shape. Really changed the way that I approach the game. I was pretty offensive-minded in high school and now have gotten to a point where I realize that if I want to be a successful college player, that I have to be a complete player who can rebound, defend and run the floor.

Gopher Hole: It looks like your body has changed. Have you put on some weight?

Carson Shanks: Down at Utah State, they put some weight on me and I am still trying to continue that. I went into Utah State, about 248 and really out of shape. Now, I am down to about 225 and I have put some muscle on.

Gopher Hole: Can you tell that change has already made an impact on your basketball?

Carson Shanks: Without a doubt. Just working out right now, it is light years easier than what it used to be. I used to be on my hands and knees and now I know how to push myself through some things.

Gopher Hole: What things are you really working on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Carson Shanks: Offensively, I have been really working on my jump hook. I used to be able to just turn and shoot over kids, which I couldn't at Utah State. Now I have learned to shoot that jump hook better. Defensively and overall, I get up the court a lot better. I can run with guards. I can run for longer. I have really learned to fight down in the post, because I'm not the biggest guy out there anymore.

Gopher Hole: What are the Gophers saying about you impact-wise? I know that you are going to have to redshirt and would be eligible next January if you get admitted. Do you know what your role with the team would be?

Carson Shanks: They have told me that they see me as an impact player down the line. As of right now, through this next semester, if I get admitted, I will be a walk-on. They have made it very clear that they would be very happy if I came in and earned a scholarship and they think that I can do that. I am just going from there. They want me to work hard, push the guys, push myself, get better and become a good player for them.

Gopher Hole: Coach Pitino is a more up-tempo coach than the previous regime. That seems to be a style that would fit you a little bit better.

Carson Shanks: Yes. At Utah State, it was very set-orientated. A lot of reads. About 100 plays, but now, I can just play and get up and down and run with the guards. I like the way that they use their bigs. I really do.

Gopher Hole: Have you seen much of them this year to see how Eliott Eliason has really seemed to improve a lot and Mo Walker has gotten better?

Carson Shanks: I have been watching them. I watched them last night against Penn State. Elliott really works hard to put himself in positions where he can be successful and his teammate find him. I have been to a practice or two and see how he runs it. In general, I think that it will work out pretty well.

Gopher Hole: Both of those players are going to be seniors next season, so that would mean that you would get some playing time down the road. Is that something you looked at?

Carson Shanks: That is something that they brought up. Obviously, they are going to have to get themselves another big in the recruiting class at some point. They have talked to me about how they want me to step in and try to fill in for Elliott or Mo and get some significant playing time.

Very happy for Carson. He addressed many of my fears about his game. If he is telling the truth I think in 2 years w le are going to have gotten ourselves aquality post

Very happy for Carson. He addressed many of my fears about his game. If he is telling the truth I think in 2 years w le are going to have gotten ourselves aquality post

Also clear that Pitino is not betting the farm on him either. He is getting a shot to earn a scholarship. Sounds like a win-win for the program. He develops and the Gophers get a decent player. He doesn't and the team does not lose a scholarship.

I'm intrigued. I think this is a great pickup, especially considering he wasn't promised a scholarship. Now he has a year to work on his body and game and I'm confident Pitino can develop him into a big ten "big".

Can't coach height and the kid is tall. I look at what this staff has done for EE & Mo in under one year and I am excited.

Encouraging to know that Ben Johnson has been high on him for a while too. I'm sure he approached Pitino and sold him on the idea Shanks can contribute. Johnson was truly a huge addition for us. He's been recruiting the midwest since his UNI days, plus there is the whole former Gopher and DeLaSalle aspect too.

I'm curious to see what the staff and he thinks should be his ideal playing weight. 7'0, 225 lbs is a BMI of 22.4, which is pretty low. I heard coach Pitino talking about how they use body fat % to determine how good of shape a particular player is in, so him dropping 23 lbs certainly helped his body fat %, but my assumption would be they would still try to add 10-15 lbs of muscle. EE is 6'11", 240 lbs for comparisons sake.

Sounds like he will not get a 2014 scholarship but could earn one further down the road; we still have a scholarship for 2014 -- wonder who will use it... Any thoughts or corrections? Thanks

" As of right now, through this next semester, if I get admitted, I will be a walk-on. They have made it very clear that they would be very happy if I came in and earned a scholarship and they think that I can do that. I am just going from there. "

Sounds like he will not get a 2014 scholarship but could earn one further down the road; we still have a scholarship for 2014 -- wonder who will use it... Any thoughts or corrections? Thanks

Coach Pitino grabbed a pretty good spring recruit in Mathieu. I have confidence he will do the same this spring.

Saw on the siouxsports message board that they said Shanks was at their game yesterday in Grand Forks and they expect him to start classes at UND on Monday. One person said that they heard Shanks couldn't get in to Minnesota anyone have any information on this?

Saw on the siouxsports message board that they said Shanks was at their game yesterday in Grand Forks and they expect him to start classes at UND on Monday. One person said that they heard Shanks couldn't get in to Minnesota anyone have any information on this?

LOL - probably wishful thinking on their part. Ryan James said academics weren't going to be an issue. I'll take his word over that of a message board any day of the week.

Also, why the hell were you on a sioux message board?

LOL - probably wishful thinking on their part. Ryan James said academics weren't going to be an issue. I'll take his word over that of a message board any day of the week.

Also, why the hell were you on a sioux message board?
I've always been a Sioux hockey fan, lived close and saw their games on TV and went to games all the time when I was a kid.

Interesting. We'll know pretty quick I guess

He may just be preserving his backup plan until he gets a decision from the U one way or the other. That seems most likely based on everything that's been reported. Even the act of starting classes doesn't change anything, I think, (a normal student can simply drop classes after a week or two at most schools) ... although if he signs something related to a scholarship that might be it.

He may just be preserving his backup plan until he gets a decision from the U one way or the other. That seems most likely based on everything that's been reported. Even the act of starting classes doesn't change anything, I think, (a normal student can simply drop classes after a week or two at most schools) ... although if he signs something related to a scholarship that might be it.
My source says und is a lock.

Also hearing be is walking onto UND.... trying to confirm.

meh if he's going to the sioux let him, it be nice to add 7'0" and Carson has potential, but I think we can do better. We would probably recruit over him

I'm being told that he was unable to secure walk on status at the University of Minnesota
also told the und draw had something to do with friendshipsand how he may be less homesick playing with some people that are familiar to him

I'm being told that he was unable to secure walk on status at the University of Minnesota
also told the und draw had something to do with friendshipsand how he may be less homesick playing with some people that are familiar to him

So the U didn't even want him as a walk on?

So the U didn't even want him as a walk on?

I cannot tell... im piecing together info that makes me believe he isnt going to be able to get enrolled. What I was told was that he wasnt able to walk on at the U... I dont know if that means academics or the team didnt want him... I was hearing from multiple fronts the gophs wanted him to wak on... so I dont know of the academics are different for walk on vs scholly players or what ????

I know Carson was quite bummed however.

I cannot tell... im piecing together info that makes me believe he isnt going to be able to get inrolled. What I was told was that he wasnt able to walk on at the U... I dont know if that means academics or the team didnt want him... I was hearing from multiple fronts the gophs wanted him to wak on... so I dont know of the academics are different for walk on vs scholly players or what ????

I know Carson was quite bummed however.

Have no idea if this is the case in Carson's situation, but most schools/coaches want their walk ons to be 4.0 type students in order to boost the team GPA. Now I'd think a team would make an exception if they could get a 7 footer with some skills to be a walk on, so it's probably not relevant here. Another possibility is that Carson didn't take a class in high school that would be necessary for the U, but not necessary for Utah State. I don't know his situation, he could be a 4.0 kid who took AP classes in high school.

Ryan James said he was denied admission. Apparently grades/ACT not good enough to get into the U, particularly when applying late. Bummer.

Ryan James said he was denied admission. Apparently grades/ACT not good enough to get into the U, particularly when applying late. Bummer.

As much as I like Carson, I just had major questions about fit. I just don't see this offense/system working best with a less than fleet of food Big... I think EE is about as slow as we can afford in that position, and EE has come a long way (For the record I love EE's game).

Carson was a long shot to be a contributor on this team so if he was a walk on I would love him, if he has improved his game the way he and those that have seen him say he has, he would have been a decent addition. My hope is Rich can lure an athletic big that fits the mold a bit more next year that is a JUCO or senior transfer to fill the gap when EE and Mo leave.

Best of Luck to Carson, he's a great kid, and has a great skill set. H

I think most would probably agree that this isn't that big of a deal. Would have been great as a walk-on, but not so much as a scholarship player.

I think most would probably agree that this isn't that big of a deal. Would have been great as a walk-on, but not so much as a scholarship player.

7 footers dont grow on trees.

See EE for the value of them.

Top Bottom