How nice is it to have "bigs" again?!?!?!

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Wow, what a difference it makes to have a pair of guys (not to mention DJ) in the paint who have an effect on a game like real shotblockers can.

I remember a year or two after big Joel left the U, I had an old game on DVR/Tivo from when he was playing and I was bored and watched some of it. Wow, what a difference-maker he could be. Forget about the blocked shots, these guys can really change how another team attacks the basket/paint in general.

Now we're there again with Iverson and Sampson. Sure, they block some shots but they really alter a game and shot selection of the opposing team. Virginia actually did a really good job on a couple of occasions of lobbing some high-arcing shots over Iverson, et al, but it was clearly affecting the game.

As a side note, it's GREAT to see a big guy like Iverson (and even Sampson on a few occasions) DUNK the ball whenever they get the chance near the basket. No disrespect to Spencer but he never played around/above the rim like these two freshmen.

Our Future is So Bright We Need To Wear Shades :)

Iverson really showed some flashes of what he can and will be able to do. It is exciting times cause I cannot wait to see where the Gophers will be in a couple seasons. We have to "enjoy the season", i know know. But you are so right, it is nice to have big guys that are talented, capable, and developing every day.

I hereby dub last night's game "The Colton Iverson Breakout Performance" - I have a hunch he got some confidence last night that will fuel the rest of his season and Gopher career. He sure played well, and offset a lot of the height advantage that Virginia seemed to have on paper.

I hereby dub last night's game "The Colton Iverson Breakout Performance"
Actually, I think Eastern Washington was his breakout performance:
20 points in 25 minutes; 4 assists and 5 rebounds.
While last night involved stiffer competition, seems to me he's played with more confidence since Eastern Washington.

Snowman-I would say that this is the first time I really believed 100% that he is the real deal. It was tougher competition that E. Washington and it was a nationally televised game. But I agree that E. Washington was the "turning point" of his performances so far.

Big that can move. We were plenty big last year in terms of mass, but yikes. I'm most impressed by the lack of fouls by both freshman recently. That takes maturity as much as skill.

that is what impressed me the most. The big guys dtayed in the middle and guarded the paint for the most part. They did not run around chasing the ball or the player. Iverson really did a nice job establishing his position inside but will have some trouble with that as he runs into the more mature big men in the conference.

I like how Sampson and iverson are two very different players. Ralph seems more finese, face to the basket, while Colton is a powerhouse in the paint with great footwork, and he seems like he always is in the right spot.

My one issue is Sampson gets muscled around down on the block., he looks like he may not be done growing, it may be helpful if he gains 25 lbs. I feel like Ralph will get better with more playing time, and he may not get that this year as Big Jon is coming back soon, let's hope he keeps that confident level high.

Go Gophs.

As a side note, it's GREAT to see a big guy like Iverson (and even Sampson on a few occasions) DUNK the ball whenever they get the chance near the basket. No disrespect to Spencer but he never played around/above the rim like these two freshmen.

I remember some idiot on this board saying that he wasn't impressed with watching video of Iverson in the state championship game last year. The dope said Iverson played below the rim.

Actually, that may have been me ...

Top Bottom