GAME #16: Gophers (12-3, 1-1) @ Penn State (9-6, 0-2) [BTN, 1/8, 6:00PM]

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
First road game of the season and Penn State is supposed to be much improved. We have a tough 4-game stretch right after this game so hopefully we don't get caught looking ahead. I don't think Pitino will allow that to happen though. We probably need good games from both the Hollins brothers to beat Penn State in their house. They are also 0-2 in conference play so they'll be hungry for a win.

Penn State's losses this year: Bucknell, Ole Miss, @Pitt, Princeton (OT), MSU, and @Illinois.

Our 4-game gauntlet after this game is @MSU, tOSU, @Iowa, Wisc. I'd feel a lot better going into that brutal stretch at 2-1 than 1-2.

He needs to stay out of foul trouble. The more I watch Mo, the less I trust him out there.

Can't compliment him enough for that performance against Purdue. Logged 33 minutes, 2nd highest amount in his career and only 3 personals. Came within one block of tying his personal best.

He needs to stay out of foul trouble. The more I watch Mo, the less I trust him out there.

Mo is fine on offense - but has serious issues on the defensive end. I have to believe he will clean it up.

We'll need to bring intensity and a sense of urgency against a team that is over matched on paper but will not make it easy for us. A win here will do much to show fans that the program has turned a corner in the right direction.

Attacking the rim on the inside makes those Gopher 3s far more likely to succeed as less contested. Dre duo and Austin must stay in attack mode. If so, gophers will win in HapVal.

We'll need to bring intensity and a sense of urgency against a team that is over matched on paper but will not make it easy for us. A win here will do much to show fans that the program has turned a corner in the right direction.
I don't think PSU is over matched on paper at all. I'm sure they'll be slight home favorites. Newbill and Frazier are players.

Edit: looks like Gophers are 1 point favorites.

I don't think PSU is over matched on paper at all. I'm sure they'll be slight home favorites. Newbill and Frazier are players.

Edit: looks like Gophers are 1 point favorites.

Yep, their back court is just as good as the Gophers back court, maybe better. Considering this game is on the road it's a toss up. We'll have to play well to win.

One plus in the Gophers' favor is that Penn State doesn't have a true center outside of Jordan Dickerson who didn't start playing this year until 3 games ago and has played 6, 8, and 15 minutes in those games. With most of Penn State's lineups the Gophers should be able to play small. I'd be surprised if Mo gets 10 minutes in this game, barring foul trouble.

Mo is fine on offense - but has serious issues on the defensive end. I have to believe he will clean it up.

I disagree. Mo is not as good of a passer as EE, can't make a 15-footer, and seems to turn it over a lot compared to the number of touches he gets. EE is a big upgrade on both ends.

I disagree. Mo is not as good of a passer as EE, can't make a 15-footer, and seems to turn it over a lot compared to the number of touches he gets. EE is a big upgrade on both ends.

Nobody is arguing Mo is better than EE...

Can get caught up in the half court game with PSU. If we can control the tempo, its a W.

Looking forward to this game. The depth of our guards could be the difference against teams like PSU especially if Smith and McNeal can continue to contribute (McNeal has been a nice surprise).

Looking forward to this game. The depth of our guards could be the difference against teams like PSU especially if Smith and McNeal can continue to contribute (McNeal has been a nice surprise).

McNeal, the new Otto and Moe. ;)

Just said on the radio 3500-5000 people in attendance. Yuk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah it doesn't seem like many people are in the arena. I feel like I'm watching a scrimmage.

On the radio, the game sounds like a HS game. You can hear everything on the floor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really weird camera angle.

It's odd that the court view camera is on the same side as the player benches. It's almost always on the opposite side, facing the benches.

Yikes. That arena is completely empty. Pretty pathetic.

Looks and sounds like yet another intimidating environment in Happy Valley for Penn State basketball! They should be embarrassed about the lack of support.

If the Gophers can't win in this road environment. ...

We've been pretty sloppy. Not taking advantage of PSU's slow start.

just so they don't use the behind the basket floor level shot.

Top Bottom