Roll Call - PSU Game

burton34

Reaction score
I am going to be at the game - likely with my wife and my brother. Is anyone else going?

Also, does anyone have suggestions on where to stop for a beer (on the PSU campus)? Thanks in advance.

Cool Willie B man - give us an eyewitness report (wife permitting) about how the Gophers handle this B1G road test.

I'll try Boundout. The damn cold in MN is wreaking havoc on my brother's plans to fly out here . And now my wife is flaking on me too. I may a one man cheering section!

A one man cheering section may be able to compete with the PSU crowd...
It was exactly well populated when I was there last for a game.

My brother is flying in from MPLS and my wife is joining us as well. We are sitting front row in the PSU student section. I can't wait to pi$$ off them off!

I am going to be at the game - likely with my wife and my brother. Is anyone else going?

Also, does anyone have suggestions on where to stop for a beer (on the PSU campus)? Thanks in advance.

For the first time since I've been in PA (since '97) I won't be able to make it to the @PSU game. But, since you asked, there are tons of bars all over College Ave (main street just South of campus) and the next one down, Beaver Ave. If you can't find a beer somewhere along there then you'll have to use the GPS to find an eye doctor, too, while you're there, because the bar scene is quite concentrated in those areas.

If you like old basement bars, try The Rathskellar, Zeno's, or The Phyrst. There are newer ones as well such as Bill Pickle's that should have plenty of TVs for your pre-game sports viewing pleasure. Note that the main set of bars on College Ave., however, is a fair hike from the Bryce Jordan Center, which is on the east side of campus near the football and baseball stadiums (and away from the beer and food establishments) . I suggest heading to College/Beaver and eating prior to driving to the arena, though if you drink too much you might try to take a bus as opposed to walking the mile or two in the Artic Vortex weather that came across MN and the midwest and arrived in PA yesterday.

Finally, the best sports bar experience in town is arguably Champps, which is on North Atherton St. about 1 1/2 miles north of campus. One of the best eats in town is the All American Ale House, which is located near the region called Toftrees even further north of campus. Some prefer Otto's for their beer and wings, and that place is on Atherton further north than Champps. If you're driving, these are all good options. If you're looking to be by all the college kids, head toward campus instead.

I signed up just to try and help out with the local bar scene but cncmin pretty much said exactly what I was going to post. I'd bar hop downtown for a bit and check out the historical bars......Phyrst, Skeller, and Zeno's. If you like beer, make sure you hit Zeno's!

Good luck!

Wow! Thanks for the great advice cncmin and LPcreation. I was hoping to have extra time to drink before the game, but my dad and brother, who are flying in from MN are facing flight delays, so we might not have a lot of time before the game. I'll do my best to check out the spots you suggested. Much thanks!

You're welcome, Burton - I hope you were able to have some fun before (or after!) the game. If not, State College is a great town so I hope you make it back some time. As for me, wouldn't mind being back (there or especially The Cities) but the 'Burgh isn't that bad either :)

You're welcome, Burton - I hope you were able to have some fun before (or after!) the game. If not, State College is a great town so I hope you make it back some time. As for me, wouldn't mind being back (there or especially The Cities) but the 'Burgh isn't that bad either :)

We didn't arrive to happy valley until 6:30ish so we didn't partake in any pregame festivities. (In fact we just missed tipoff.) But I was really impressed with the Bryce Jordan Arena. It's 17 years old, but they've done a great job of upkeeping the arena with the latest technology - 360 ribbon scoreboard, etc. The arena seats close to 16k, but I'd be surprised if there were 3k fans at the game last night. We sat courtside across from the team benches for the first half, but we moved to the gopher section for the second half. We were fortunate enough to score seats next to Quincy, which were directly behind the Gopher bench. Quincy was really friendly as we talked with him for a decent portion of the second half. I can't tell you how relieving it was to win the game. It sure made the 3 hr drive back to Philly a lot more tolerable! I can't wait to go back next year!

Top Bottom