BTN page blows up w/ comments on pic of NUs Aaron Liberman wearing yarmulke in game

Stan

Reaction score
Wow Big Ten Network's facebook page has some interesting and heated comments in reaction to Liberman wearing a yarmulke during NU's games.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....75842249021.76770.46198039021&type=1&theater

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If you missed it today, Aaron Liberman became 1st player to wear yarmulke in <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23B1G&src=hash">#B1G</a> hoops game - <a href="http://t.co/abTHVmD9h2">http://t.co/abTHVmD9h2</a> <a href="http://t.co/nEXWdTgUbd">pic.twitter.com/nEXWdTgUbd</a></p>— Big Ten Network (@BigTenNetwork) <a href="https://twitter.com/BigTenNetwork/statuses/419910249005318144">January 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

he wore it non con what's the big deal?

It's no danger to him or anyone else on the floor. Should be non-issue for everyone. My rabbi contact told me he tries to match his with his tie. Looks like Lieberman went with the color match too. I think it's pretty cool.

Perhaps no big deal. However, would there be concerns if a Muslim woman wears a Hijab in a game? Is there an issue if someone wishes to wear head gear and start advertising? I have no answer and perhaps there are already regulations in place. It seems innocent enough, however.

Perhaps no big deal. However, would there be concerns if a Muslim woman wears a Hijab in a game? Is there an issue if someone wishes to wear head gear and start advertising? I have no answer and perhaps there are already regulations in place. It seems innocent enough, however.

It's not "advertising". It is a part of his religion, he is obligated to wear it.

It's not "advertising". It is a part of his religion, he is obligated to wear it.

I understand that. My point is that others may take it and run further with it than simply a display of their faith. Are there any concerns that need to be addressed for what can or cannot be worn and any exceptions for religious practices?

I understand that. My point is that others may take it and run further with it than simply a display of their faith. Are there any concerns that need to be addressed for what can or cannot be worn and any exceptions for religious practices?

Are you worried that a Pastafarian may declare that they have the religious freedom to wear a strainer on their head?

Are you worried that a Pastafarian may declare that they have the religious freedom to wear a strainer on their head?

There are certain to be some ballplayers who are a part of the 5% Nation who might be emboldened to share their views. The issue is that the door is now opened for "free speech" and freedom of religion in sports. There are a lot of variations in religion. Some religions are designated as cults that promote views not supported by the majority of the society. What should conferences do in regard to regulating what religious materials and clothing can be worn?

I am not attacking Liberman for wearing his yarmulke, but there are concerns that the universities and conferences need to think about.

Why are people making an issue of this? Can Aaron play? That's the only issue.

NCAA basketball rules, Rule 3, permits players to wear headbands and wrist bands of reasonable, permissible size.

The NCAA also permits the use of facial or arm equipment (e. g. Jaw or chin mask, elbow braces) so long as it doesn't endanger the player or reasonably endanger the opponent.

Each team has its own facial hair and hair cut rules. Is an Afro offensive? Not to me whatsoever even if the athlete seeks to keep his hair long as a personal, religious, political or social statement.

Perhaps some are offended by such hairstyles.

Perhaps some are offended by tattoos with Christian symbols but these widely adorn today's athletes.

I applaud Aaron's pride in his religious beliefs and wish him the best in his development at NW. To the those who are shocked or worried about precedent, worry about turnovers.

Fair question, and I can tell you first-hand I was at a Minnesota High School Girls Basketball Game where a girl was wearing a headcovering. It didn't cover her mouth or nose, just her head. It was great to see. Just happy her parents allowed her to play on the team.

There are certain to be some ballplayers who are a part of the 5% Nation who might be emboldened to share their views. The issue is that the door is now opened for "free speech" and freedom of religion in sports. There are a lot of variations in religion. Some religions are designated as cults that promote views not supported by the majority of the society. What should conferences do in regard to regulating what religious materials and clothing can be worn? I am not attacking Liberman for wearing his yarmulke, but there are concerns that the universities and conferences need to think about.

I take it that you don't have a problem with someone wearing a cross.

That thing Gene Keady wore on his head...was that a yarmulke?

I'm honestly shocked that this has garnered so much attention. How is this even a story in 2014???

Without looking him up, I believe he's been on the team for at least a year, as I remembered him last year - he must have not played though.

I take it that you don't have a problem with someone wearing a cross.

Would people be upset if a kid wore a headband with a crucified Christ picture on the front? I'm sure there would be many who would be offended. I liked the ruling that all jewelry be removed before playing.

Did you miss my comment that I have no problem with Liberman wearing a yarmulke?

My thoughts are entirely on what rules/precautions the conferences and the NCAA has to ensure that headgear doesn't become an advertisement for ideology. I don't think I'm being unreasonable in my concerns. Public schools have had to wrestle with whether they should rent the facility to a religious group because once they rent to one they have opened the doors to all. What precedence does the wearing of a yarmulke set in a similar regard? That is my question, jammer.

I'm honestly shocked that this has garnered so much attention. How is this even a story in 2014???

Without looking him up, I believe he's been on the team for at least a year, as I remembered him last year - he must have not played though.

Yes, now that you mention it I remember him. He was the kid on the bench wearing the hat.

Top Bottom