Pitino puts Sid in his place and says 35 minutes of the game was the best...

GopherLady

Reaction score
we've played all year.

Here are Matt Painter's comments: http://twitpic.com/drcieq

Sid was awesome today - for demanding batteries (he then told me that he dropped them in his car, as he called me "GopherHole", and took over the press conference. Here are my quick notes:

Richard Pitino:

• Sid - I saw your statue yesterday. Sid: Tough game Pitino: What tough game, we won. Sid: They had a 19 point lead. Pitino: Doesn't matter, we won.
• For 80% of the game we played great defense, we rebounded the basketball. We're going to look back at this film and learn a lot. The 35 minutes was the best game of our year. It was really pretty good there, we shot 55% in the 2nd half, against a very good defensive team. I refuse to focus on the negatives, because there were so many positives.
• Andre Hollins - he was a great leader on the court, did some things defensively that were really really good. The biggest thing last game was that we took shots that we hadn't practiced, this game, we took shots we had practices.
• Elliott was phenomenal, he stepped up to the plate and played for 33 minutes, I'm really proud of him.
• Austin was taking shots we hadn't practices against MI, he took great shots today. He didn't play well one game, he's played well for about 14 games.
• We've showed that we can be a really good team if we execute the right way. The execution needs to get better, over the last 2 games, we can learn from that. We learned from last game, and will learn from this one as well.
• I've got a lot of confidence in these guys, when you play on the road, it's different. We need to take it one day at time. I haven't watched anything on Penn State, I'll watch that tomorrow. When you talk about "must-win" games, I don't like to talk about that, that's when you don’t have confidence in your team.
• I thought we had the ability to shoot the ball really well, Eliott and Oto have really improved, they have great chemistry, no ego. We're happy, but we'll come back tomorrow and get better.
• "Wait your turn - to Sid (as Amelia was asking a question)
• He's a great foul shooter, one of the best in the history of our program I believe (on Andre Hollins)
• McNeil was tremendous in the 1st half, I'm really proud of his growth. He came to me and wanted to redshirt. And now he was a big time factor. He works really hard, he has no ego, really humble, he deserves success because he's a great kid.
• Hopefully all the Big 10 games aren't all this close. The great thing about the Big 10 is the stability of all these programs. Painter has built a stable program.
• I tried to tell them, you didn't play a lot the 1st half, don't try to make it all up the 2nd half. Mathieu, I was really tough on him after the last game.

Malik smith:
We always shoot free throws after practice, something we take pride in. We almost let it slip away, but I'll work on that in the future.
Coach made FT's an emphasis, now that the refs are calling it closer, we're going to have to focus on ft shooting.
The press threw us off, that wasn't in our scouting report.
On the importance of pulling off this win after losing a big lead - It's really important, it shows us that every game is going to be a fight in the Big 10.
On what Pitino told them when the lead was slipping away - Just be strong with the ball, communicate on defense, Suppose to be in a zone and some in man

Andre Hollins:
(On rebounding with a strong game) It feels good, it was a better shot selection in this game, and the free throws were executed well.
Needed to shoot it confidently
I was just being aggressive, like I've normally been. Purdue is a tough defensive team, w the new rules, they weren't going to change the way they play.
Rebounding was the key, getting 2nd chance shots*
On what Pitino told them - You have to rebound, we have to raise our defensive awareness. They are on the attack, they have nothing to lose.*

DeAndre Mathieu
Coach only has us worrying about the next game
Gotta do better in the last few minutes, handling the pressure, the ball and taking better shots.
I feel like it's pretty inconsistent (on calls) - you get away w some stuff and the next ref doesn't let u get away with it.*

Austin Hollins
(On his performance today) - I couldn't predict it, shots just weren't falling for me last game. We believe that we could have beat Michigan. You can't dwell on a loss like that.*
(On not letting one game get him down) I know the going into the Big 10 season, how long it is, you can't dwell on a loss.*

Haha, Did the digs at Sid seem light hearted? How did he take it?

Thanks Nadine. I think my favorite lines from Coach P were:

• Sid - I saw your statue yesterday. Sid: Tough game Pitino: What tough game, we won. Sid: They had a 19 point lead. Pitino: Doesn't matter, we won.
When you talk about "must-win" games, I don't like to talk about that, that's when you don’t have confidence in your team.
• "Wait your turn - to Sid (as Amelia was asking a question)

Let's go get Penn State now.

I'm not a long time Minnesotan (I live in Wisconsin) so I don't know Sid's history, but it sounds like that guy has set the mentality for journalism in that state. Someone needs to put him in his place and I'd love to hear the audio to find out just how set off Sid was when Richard made those comments. I also hope that Sid isn't vindictive and writes some BS negative slanted piece because young Rich isn't playing ball with him. If he does, Amelia better respond with something much better.

I'm not a long time Minnesotan (I live in Wisconsin) so I don't know Sid's history, but it sounds like that guy has set the mentality for journalism in that state. Someone needs to put him in his place and I'd love to hear the audio to find out just how set off Sid was when Richard made those comments. I also hope that Sid isn't vindictive and writes some BS negative slanted piece because young Rich isn't playing ball with him. If he does, Amelia better respond with something much better.

I think Sid is just trying to out last Vin Scully but Scully is still going....

Sid fought in the war of 1812...I hope I can be as active as he is at his age.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quotes, Nadine.
I really like Pitino's focus on learning from the games. It is particularly encouraging to see them come out and play so well after a tough loss. Purdue, shooting very poorly in the first half, was going to go on a run, and their press was surprisingly good.
On the radio, Pitino also commented that EE really should have gotten credit for a couple more blocks. A safe way of calling out the reffing, and the fact that EE got called for a couple of fouls which were ridiculous. People always boo the ref's but it was deafening this afternoon.

Glad to hear Pitino stood up to Sid (and defended Amelia). I like him even more. Sid's a legend and everything, but that doesn't give him the license to be an arrogant, condescending boar.

Something like what Sid has been the last several years doesn't happen in a market that is serious about sports. Just being an embarrassment would be one thing, but compounding it with being an arrogant, condescending ass makes it all that much worse.

Haha, Did the digs at Sid seem light hearted? How did he take it?

It was very lighthearted, the whole room laughed (except for Sid)...and then Sid continued on and Amelia waited to ask the next question, lol!

Sid's first newspaper column was written in 1947. That's pretty much all that needs to be said.

I do think making a 19-point lead into a 3-point game in the end is very concerning! It brings up the question of what will happen when we play a better team and we're up by 7-8-9-10 points? Anyway, with that aside, the Hollins boys really bounced back, and like Lil' Pitino said, the first 35 minutes were almost flawless! Lets go get a convicting win at PSU and have some momentum going into the stretch of death.

Sid's first newspaper column was written in 1947. That's pretty much all that needs to be said.

Actually, I believe it was 1944. Don't short-change him. :cool:

Cut Sid some slack; the man has been doing his job for 70+ years and is 90+ years old.

I think you can both respect and poke fun at Sid this point. He's had a legendary career, but he's been an absolute character the entire way.

Sid should ALWAYS speak over Amelia. He is a legend, she is garbage. Her grammar is even terrible and she hides it behind the guise of a blog.

Cut Sid some slack; the man has been doing his job for 70+ years and is 90+ years old.

He's also been the direct opposite of Reusse and Souhan, very much a homer when it comes to all sports and in particular the Gophers. Unfortunately he's become very difficult to listen to.

Something like what Sid has been the last several years doesn't happen in a market that is serious about sports. Just being an embarrassment would be one thing, but compounding it with being an arrogant, condescending ass makes it all that much worse.

I don't understand why Sid's performance as a sports writer reflects adversely on the local sports market. Seems like a non sequitur to me.

Sid should ALWAYS speak over Amelia. He is a legend, she is garbage. Her grammar is even terrible and she hides it behind the guise of a blog.

Woah! Sounds like a personal issue here. Perhaps the post of some unnamed critic of Gopher sports who has somehow remained employed at the STrib for decades while bringing almost nothing but negativity to the sports section?

No, just an individual who values folks that are professional.

No, just an individual who values folks that are professional.

Speaking over someone and disrespecting a fellow journalist is professional? Good grief....

Sid is an embarrassment, period. Funny, from our sports teams we speak of standards and having expectations for performance, we should demand better, etc. Apparently this doesn't apply to the media. Nada. Zip. It's too much to ask to have a media rep that can speak intelligibly and coherently, treats others with respect, and actually writes their own work?

Like I said, being impossible to understand, incoherent, and writing marginal work would be one thing, but Sid compounds things by being an arrogant, disrespectful, condescending dick. Unanimously anyone I've known that has even had a brush with Sid in the last few decades has said he would piss on your shoes if you didn't bow before him and step aside when he came along (apologies, Nadine, if you told me otherwise; if so you would be the first).

I have no time for someone who treats others the way Sid does. Good riddance

Glad to hear Pitino stood up to Sid (and defended Amelia). I like him even more. Sid's a legend and everything, but that doesn't give him the license to be an arrogant, condescending boar.

he is not arrogant, he's just an uneducated boob
He couldn't even spell condescending.
Some coaches can do no wrong (Knight, Grant, Wacker, Gutey) and some players are beyond criticism (Ponder)

Sid: "He's a close personal friend of mine. I've spoken to him several times. How do you pronounce his name again?"

he is not arrogant, he's just an uneducated boob He couldn't even spell condescending. Some coaches can do no wrong (Knight, Grant, Wacker, Gutey) and some players are beyond criticism (Ponder)

Sid is absolutely arrogant.

I can't say that I'm a big fan but Sid is a legend and I think we'll miss him when he's gone.

Top Bottom