When Mav Doesn't See The Court...

I just think that a 4 guard rotation is a little too short for the style of play Pitino has implimented. Of course Pitino is a little handcuffed on what he can do because Mav, Mcneil, or Wally didn't show a whole lot in the non conference portion. One of those guys needs to see a few minutes, just to give our guards most notably, Andre and Austin, some extra rest.

If McNeil can beat out Mav at some point this year it would be a good thing. I see Mav as possibly a designated 3 point shooter at handpicked times. Can't see him getting regular minutes. That said, he's an experienced senior, so he does have value over a long season. He's earned his scholarship.

If McNeil can beat out Mav at some point this year it would be a good thing. I see Mav as possibly a designated 3 point shooter at handpicked times. Can't see him getting regular minutes. That said, he's an experienced senior, so he does have value over a long season. He's earned his scholarship.

Agreed. While Mav hasn't lit the world on fire, he came in a zero star recruit. He has had some big moments for us and handled himself with class. All things considered, I am happy to have him on the team.

He doesn't see the court because we shortened the bench against better teams.

There's nothing to discuss.

Disagree. I'm obviously being tongue-in-cheek by mentioning Mav. The bigger picture is the short bench, and whether Dre and Austin are fading down the stretch due to overwork.

When Mav doesn't see the court........ I feel better.

I admire the kid for taking on the challenge above his ability level, I appreciate that he has gotten way better over the years, I wish I would have been in a position for a D1 scholarship out of high school and I appreciate what he has done for the program. All that being said, our chances are better with him on the bench.

Mav is an undersized SG who is a poor defender, poor athlete, and an "ok" spot up shooter on offense. He really doesn't bring much to the table. With that being said, I'm sure he'll get some more playing time as the season goes on.

Disagree. I'm obviously being tongue-in-cheek by mentioning Mav. The bigger picture is the short bench, and whether Dre and Austin are fading down the stretch due to overwork.

I think Malik Smith to some extent is doing a lot of what Mav would have done (mainly referring to spot up 3s).

I certainly hope Andre and Austin aren't fading due to fatigue. Also worth noting they were bad (offensively, Austin did some good things at the other end) all game - not like they tapered greatly at the end of the game IMO

To me, the fact that Mav rarely plays is the biggest sign that Pitino knows what he's doing.

He's probably a nice kid, but he's not good enough. That Tubby would play him meaningful minutes was mind-blowing.

How about this OP? When Mav doesn't play the Gophers perform better and lose less.

Loved Pitino's distribution of minutes against Michigan.

Me too, but one nit: I actually found myself wishing he would bench Austin in favor of Malik in the 2nd half. Love Austin, understand what he has brought to the team, etc., etc. It wasn't his night. He was BAD. Hope he finds it tomorrow.

Me too, but one nit: I actually found myself wishing he would bench Austin in favor of Malik in the 2nd half. Love Austin, understand what he has brought to the team, etc., etc. It wasn't his night. He was BAD. Hope he finds it tomorrow.

The way I took it is, Austin is a core player. Sometimes you let your core players play thru it because they are so important for any future success. If Austin or the team, felt Coach P. had lost so much confidence in him he couldn't leave him in, that would be far worse that any one loss. You need to ride your horses as long as you can.

Because of Gophers power game deficiencies, you really have to leave Austin in to defend, rebound and hussle even on a bad soothing night. I think he will come back strong against the smaller guards of Purdue.

Because of Gophers power game deficiencies, you really have to leave Austin in to defend, rebound and hussle even on a bad soothing night. I think he will come back strong against the smaller guards of Purdue.

I tend to agree. But when I saw him launch yet another total brick 3 toward the end, I was ready to pull my hair out. As I said, I love the cat and hope he finds it and plays 35 minutes tomorrow.

I hear you Jake about Austin forcing it. It emphasizes why both Hollins can't be off for the gophers to be successful. The 25-30 point Hollins combo is a must.

Hopefully Austin can avoid a disastrous stretch like he had last year, if not Wally really needs to see some playing time or the wins are going to be hard to come by, Oto and Austin a combined 2/16, ouch.

Hopefully Austin can avoid a disastrous stretch like he had last year, if not Wally really needs to see some playing time or the wins are going to be hard to come by, Oto and Austin a combined 2/16, ouch.

Wally is useless. Sorry. (Hope I'm wrong.) (Good high jumper though.)

Malik would get more time before Wally gets any playing time

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Play him for 2 minutes a game. That'll ensure we win every one! ;)

Good thing Mav got in for 6 minutes yesterday so we could secure the win. That turnover was crucial to our success.

Top Bottom