Myron: Richard Pitino wants what John Belein has

die hard gopher

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...91/richard-pitino-wants-what-john-beilein-has

MINNEAPOLIS -- If he builds it, will players come?

Richard Pitino’s field of dreams is housed in a place that was built more than a decade before World War II. The Barn, completed in the 1920s, is the nostalgic home of Minnesota men’s basketball, a program Pitino agreed to lead last spring.

It’s also a team with a past that is scarred by scandal. The academic mess in the 1990s that erased a Final Four appearance and a Big Ten title from the record books. A rape investigation in the 1980s. Dozens of NCAA violations in the 1970s.

Wow Myron mentions "scandals" at Minnesota and doesn't even mention the Fab Five era was rife with scandal at Michigan?

Sh*tty article full of digs at Minnesota, if you ask me. In other words, pretty typical Myron.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask...91/richard-pitino-wants-what-john-beilein-has

MINNEAPOLIS -- If he builds it, will players come?

Richard Pitino’s field of dreams is housed in a place that was built more than a decade before World War II. The Barn, completed in the 1920s, is the nostalgic home of Minnesota men’s basketball, a program Pitino agreed to lead last spring.

It’s also a team with a past that is scarred by scandal. The academic mess in the 1990s that erased a Final Four appearance and a Big Ten title from the record books. A rape investigation in the 1980s. Dozens of NCAA violations in the 1970s.

What the fvck is wrong with this guy? Nobody gives a damn about what happened in the 70's, 80's or 90's. Why do all these writers love to take shots at the Gophers? Just another self-loathing POS writer.

I do think Stauckas' quote nailed it on the head, though, facilities show a commitment to the players that the school is willing to do everything they can to help the program be successful. Although I don't think the barn needs to be torn down, could use some work though, but a practice facility is necessary if Pitino wants to have what Belien, Matta or Izzo has

Man the way the crowd was making noise tonight was awesome! I'm glad to be back in the barn during big 10 season. And apparently Myron wasn't there....

If we knocked the barn down to make a modern venue Id probably yawn and move away from the sport. Anything that moves our sport closer to feeling like the boring ass nba is a bad idea to me.

Can't beat one of the loudest and oldest stadiums in the country.

Wish Myron would go away. Dude is as big ofa hack as there is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Myron is right with expectations rising each year of Pitino's tenure regardless if we have a practice facility in the works out not. I think we will know the progress of that plan by seeing how long Pitino stays around

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

People are being a bit too harsh on Myron. He's a Minnesota guy so naturally he is going to bring a Minnesota perspective to the story. He highlights parallels of where Michigan came from to where its headed. More importantly, it shows how a commitment to the program and facilities correlates to success in recruiting. Whether you like it or not, the past sins of the program had a direct impact on where this program currently stands so mentioning them isn't that out of line. IMO you are blowing any perceived digs on the basketball program way out of proportion.

People are being a bit too harsh on Myron. He's a Minnesota guy so naturally he is going to bring a Minnesota perspective to the story. He highlights parallels of where Michigan came from to where its headed. More importantly, it shows how a commitment to the program and facilities correlates to success in recruiting. Whether you like it or not, the past sins of the program had a direct impact on where this program currently stands so mentioning them isn't that out of line. IMO you are blowing any perceived digs on the basketball program way out of proportion.

Absolutely right. Trashing the Gophers after a loss (some say disappointing) is following the crowd, nothing new.

How dare you! Don't you know that bashing Myron in the cool thing to do on this board?

Isn't Myron from Milwaukee? I don't think that's in Minnesota.

Absolutely right. Trashing the Gophers after a loss (some say disappointing) is following the crowd, nothing new.

I don't get the idea that the article trashed the Gophers. Myron noted that our guys outplayed Michigan much of the time but in the end their talent was too much for us to handle. Their backup players are better than 3/5 of our starters. That's what happens when you have superior recruits. I believe we will get the facilities done and those improvements will reap rewards. If anything, his article gives Gopher fans a glimpse what is possible if the commitment is there and Michigan is the example. I disagree with the notion of tearing down the Barn. Improve it yes, but don't trash it for a sterile bells and whistles flashy venue. But like I said I don't see how he trashes the program. On the contrary, it provides a glimmer of hope imo.

I don't get the idea that the article trashed the Gophers. Myron noted that our guys outplayed Michigan much of the time but in the end their talent was too much for us to handle. Their backup players are better than 3/5 of our starters. That's what happens when you have superior recruits. I believe we will get the facilities done and those improvements will reap rewards. If anything, his article gives Gopher fans a glimpse what is possible if the commitment is there and Michigan is the example. I disagree with the notion of tearing down the Barn. Improve it yes, but don't trash it for a sterile bells and whistles flashy venue. But like I said I don't see how he trashes the program. On the contrary, it provides a glimmer of hope imo.

I agree. With commitment to the program we can get better players. Pitino said it "it's all about recruiting" Michigan has better players than us

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

To everyone bashing Myron for bringing up the history of scandals and saying it isn't relevant... It is. Because many of those infractions set our program back and regressed it to what it is today. Which is central to the article. To understand where you're going, you have to know where you've been.

And I honestly don't think there were any low-blows aimed our way in this article. I just think people get butt-hurt any time someone says something unfavorable about their program, be it factual or not. Myron hit the nail on the head in this article.

I honestly didn't read it, I was going off the response to the article from some of our more notoriously overreacting posters being critical of him being negative... Irony.

To everyone bashing Myron for bringing up the history of scandals and saying it isn't relevant... It is. Because many of those infractions set our program back and regressed it to what it is today. Which is central to the article. To understand where you're going, you have to know where you've been.

And I honestly don't think there were any low-blows aimed our way in this article. I just think people get butt-hurt any time someone says something unfavorable about their program, be it factual or not. Myron hit the nail on the head in this article.

Tell us why it is relevant at this point in time.

Tell us why it is relevant at this point in time.

One reason I feel it is relevant is because Michigan's program had some of the same issues 15 years ago or so and started losing area recruits to Izzo. They couldn't get things turned around until they made a commitment to the facilities needed to land these recruits again. This is the main emphasis of the article. Facilities show recruits that the program is committed to winning. In fact, you are starting to see Michigan winning the recruiting battles with Sparty again. State is top heavy but Michigan has better depth. This is why I can't to worked up about the past scandals.

Their backup players are better than 3/5 of our starters.

I think you're way, way overstating Michigan's depth. What three Michigan bench players would start for Minnesota? The Wolverines basically have three bench players. Albrecht, Irvin, and Horford. Maybe one of those guys would start for Minnesota right now. Maybe one. Certainly not all three or even two.

State is top heavy but Michigan has better depth.

Frankly, I think Michigan's weakness will be a lack of depth this season. They don't have a great bench. As mentioned, basically two average Big Ten players and a promising freshman and that is it. In fact, Beilein commented about how thin his team is.

I could see us starting Horford and Irvin for Oto and Austin/Dre. Irvin was a 5 star recruit and showed it against us last night.

I could see us starting Horford and Irvin for Oto and Austin/Dre. Irvin was a 5 star recruit and showed it against us last night.

Horford might start for us. Maybe. He isn't that good (avg 4 pt and 4 reb). Had a good night last night, though.

No chance Irvin would be starting for Andre or Austin. None. Irvin was on fire last night and will be a good player sometime, but he's been just ok this year so far. So, he ain't starting over Andre or Austin right now.

The point stands. Michigan does not have great depth.

Horford might start for us. Maybe. He isn't that good (avg 4 pt and 4 reb). Had a good night last night, though.

No chance Irvin would be starting for Andre or Austin. None. Irvin was on fire last night and will be a good player sometime, but he's been just ok this year so far. So, he ain't starting over Andre or Austin right now.

It's a bad sign if Horford plays well against you.

Michigan played 9 deep before McGary got hurt so they essentially have 4 off the bench making significant contributions. I would absolutely take Horford, Morgan and Irvin over EE, Oto, an Au. Hollins anytime

I'm sorry but if Pitino had brought in a long 5-star wing like Irvin, he would be starting. He'd be a perfect fit in Pitino's system. Even if it meant bringing little Dre off the bench, Irvin would start.

I'm sorry but if Pitino had brought in a long 5-star wing like Irvin, he would be starting. He'd be a perfect fit in Pitino's system. Even if it meant bringing little Dre off the bench, Irvin would start.

I'd say probably would start. You never know how good these guys really are. Wisconsin had one of those 5 stars 10 years ago who didn't work out.

Top Bottom