Breaking down the B1G Schedule

howeda7

Reaction score
Updated 2/25. Man that NW game still stings big-time.

I find it helpful to break down the B1G schedule to keep things in perspective. I'd break it down as follows, easiest to hardest:

Must wins:
1. Northwestern (L) In hindsight this is clearly not the easiest game, but it still stings)
2. Penn State
3. Purdue (W)
4. @ Northwestern (W)

Toss-ups:
5. Illinois (L)
6. Indiana (W)
7. Michigan (L) (would have been lower if not for the injuries)
8. @ PSU (W)
9. @ Nebraska (L)
10. Iowa (W)
11. Wisconsin (W)
12. Ohio State (W)
13. @ Purdue (L-3OT) So frustrating.
14. @Iowa (L)

Probable losses:
15. @ Michigan
16. @ Ohio State (L)
17. @ Wisconsin (L) as it ever was.
18. @ MSU (L) Man this would have been nice

This loss last year would snowball into a major losing streak. Hopefully Pitino can keep these guys positive so that we can bounce back. Should be interesting to see how we respond v. Purdue and on the road at Penn State.

Major upsets? Certainly not the home games.

We just lost to an unranked Michigan team with injuries and those teams are both in the top 6. MAJOR upsets.

gophersinpain will not be on this board Sunday if we beat Purdue. Book it.

I find it helpful to break down the B1G schedule to keep things in perspective. I'd break it down as follows, easiest to hardest:

Must wins:
1. Northwestern
2. Penn State
3. Purdue
4. @ Northwestern (Normally I'd never call a road game must win, but man are they bad)

Toss-ups:
5. Illinois
6. Indiana
7. Michigan (L) (would have been lower if not for the injuries)
8. @ PSU
9. @ Nebraska
10. Iowa
11. Wisconsin
12. Ohio State
13. @ Purdue
14. @Iowa

Probable losses:
15. @ Michigan
16. @ Ohio State
17. @ Wisconsin
18. @ MSU

I am probably in the minority, but I think the Gophers could win at Michigan. In my opinion a win at Michigan is probably more likely than a home win over Ohio State or a road win at Iowa (I throw up a bit even typing that). For the most part I agree with your analysis and lets assume the Gophers get the job done in the 4 must wins. That means they need to go .500 in the toss up games to get to .500 and a probable tournament bid. In many ways that just illustrates how bad the loss tonight stings. If we just needed 4 more from the 9 remaining games, I'd feel really good about the Gophers chances. Now that we need 5 of 9, I feel like task is significantly more daunting (though not impossible). The bottom line is that we need a couple games in that toss up category where the team is scorching beyond the arc.

Updated 1/11. Tough loss today. Would certainly have made up for Michigan.

My prediction.

Must wins:
1. Northwestern (W)
2. Penn State (W)
3. Purdue (W)
4. @ Northwestern (W)

Toss-ups:
5. Illinois (W)
6. Indiana (W)
7. Michigan (L)
8. @ PSU (W)
9. @ Nebraska (W)
10. Iowa (W)
11. Wisconsin (L)
12. Ohio State (W)
13. @ Purdue (L)
14. @Iowa (L)

Probable losses:
15. @ Michigan (L)
16. @ Ohio State (L)
17. @ Wisconsin (L)
18. @ MSU (L)

This would put us at 10-8. I don't think it would be unreasonable to think we win another one, either Wisconsin at home, @Purdue, or @Michigan. Possibly 11 wins out of this team if things go well?

The most realistic win of those last four is probably Michigan. The way we played against MSU says that we also have a chance to upset OSU when we play them in their home court. I don't see how we lose against Purdue at Purdue but I also don't see us beating Iowa at home. But I guess we will see how we play on Sunday.

Updated after the tough loss today. Ugh.

This wasn't one I expected to win, but it's still a punch in the gut. Indiana is now a must win.

If we win the ones we should, which doesn't mean much year, that would put us at 8 wins. I think we could steal one of those tough road games too to get to 9 wins and in the tourney. Not easy, but certainly very possible.

going to be tough to get to 9 wins if they don't start rebounding the ball better.

Updated though the annual loss at Bo's House. Beat the Cats!

Updated through the Iowa win. The NW game is the only thing keeping us from being right where we wanted to be.

Top Bottom