Post-Game Thread (Michigan)

gopherinpain

Banned
Reaction score
The loss is one thing but both Hollins's were pathetic tonight!

Nice upperclassmen leadership u guys. I think the ceiling is about 6-7 wins in conference play. Maybe Dre will start playing in the NIT.

1) It was an entertaining, competitive game.
2) I don't see any reason why Malik Smith shouldn't start in place of Austin next game. He has earned it, and Austin hasn't proved he wants it.
3) Dre Mathieu is absolutely our leader.
4) How many subpar games can Andre keep having before he gets back in a groove?
5) The fact of the matter is: we lost to Michigan at home without Glen Robinson III and Mitch McGary. Not a good loss.
6) Beside's EE's foul trouble, our two centers actually played well.
With that said... It doesn't break our season, but the next 2 games are must wins.

Matheiu, EE, and Malik are clearly our best players. I'm sick of watching Dre and Austin no show game after game.

With that said... It doesn't break our season, but the next 2 games are must wins.
]

The only wins you can count on with this team is Northwestern. They could lose every other one. No leadership from Dre and Austin, they looked bored and uninterested tonight.

The only wins you can count on with this team is Northwestern. They could lose every other one. No leadership from Dre and Austin, they looked bored and uninterested tonight.

Don't be an idiot. Stuff like this is why people think you are a troll.

Losing at home to Michigan without McGary and a majority of the game without Robinson is disappointing.

This team really isn't a NCAA Tourney team anyway. 6 conference wins about where they should end up this year.

please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if a player is down on the ground and then stands up that is a travel correct? missed by the refs and announcers on the overturned (correct call there) out of bounds play with 21 seconds to go, stauskas picked up the ball with at least one knee still on the ground and then stood up before it was knocked out of his hands. no guarantees what happens if they call it, but it could have been a very different finish

1) It was an entertaining, competitive game.
2) I don't see any reason why Malik Smith shouldn't start in place of Austin next game. He has earned it, and Austin hasn't proved he wants it.
3) Dre Mathieu is absolutely our leader.
4) How many subpar games can Andre keep having before he gets back in a groove?
5) The fact of the matter is: we lost to Michigan at home without Glen Robinson III and Mitch McGary. Not a good loss.
6) Beside's EE's foul trouble, our two centers actually played well.

This is a really really bad loss. You have to win these games at home. Not Devastating, but close. I was unimpressed with crunch time execution. We simply don't have enough good players to be competitive in this league.

Purdue is now a must-win for NCAA chances. Sucks having to say that one game in.

Andre needs to immediately break up with Rachel Banham. It's obvious his mind is not on basketball.

Austin needs a girlfriend. He's thinking too much about basketball.

Tough loss. Played pretty sloppy down the stretch with a couple TO's we didn't need at bad times. Definitely a game we should have won. Hopefully we learn from the loss and play better!

Don't be an idiot. Stuff like this is why people think you are a troll.

This. Criticizing this team, which has flaws, is one thing. But your persona here is the guy who sees one cloud in the sky and thinks a hurricane's coming. You don't even wait for the game to be over.

please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if a player is down on the ground and then stands up that is a travel correct? missed by the refs and announcers on the overturned (correct call there) out of bounds play with 21 seconds to go, stauskas picked up the ball with at least one knee still on the ground and then stood up before it was knocked out of his hands. no guarantees what happens if they call it, but it could have been a very different finish

I thought that he maintained his dribble

Andre just doesn't seem to have his head in the game. He seems off in never-never land. Or is it Rachel-land?

Top 3 scorers (Hollins, Hollins, Mathieu) shot a combined 7-29 (24%). Despite that, the game was in reach. I still have a lot of hope for this year's team.

Top 3 scorers (Hollins, Hollins, Mathieu) shot a combined 7-29 (24%). Despite that, the game was in reach. I still have a lot of hope for this year's team.

This is a jumpshooting team, they will live and die with it.

Andre and Austin 1 for 11 from the arch. Austin 1-9 shooting and two turnovers. With Robinson out this should have
been a game we win. JMO, but I'll be happy when all of Tubby ' s recruits are purged out of the system.

Dre was constantly coming off screens flashing from one side of the court to the next you could tell he was getting tired, along with the rest of the guys the fire wasn't there in the last part of the second half. Lots of basketball to play and I think mathieu showed he can play in the B1G tonight he's fun to watch. EE played like a mad man as well nice to see him fly around the court. And big mo dunked!

Wasn't he dribbling the whole time?

Huge missed opportunity to beat a weakened Michigan at home. We won't have many more gift wrapped for the taking like that one.

Holy cow some of you are worse than my pregnant wife.....

Hollins' will not be like that every game, too skilled of players.
'Dre made some terrible decisions tonight on fast breaks that I think he rectifies
We shot like shiz from the ft line....
It's game #1 in the B1G for Pitino
If any of you thought our 11-2 record during non con while playing starters the majority of games meant we were going to walk into the tournament I'm not going to feel bad for you, you did this to yourselves.
This is a talented team and I saw some talented coaching as well as some serious miscues by young Pitino too, gonna get better.

If I told you both Hollins' play like dogpoop and we would only loose by 3 you'd call me an idiot.

Wooooh saaaaahhh

We lost by 3 and Dre missed 3 freethrows, but freethrows don't matter :rolleyes:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pitino told the team: "I know you all wanted to start the Big Ten season with a win at home.You have to understand we're just building this"</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/418935021647323136">January 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is a game we could have won, but too many of our players played poorly. Austin Hollins was nowhere to be found, and Andre Hollins didn't seem like he was in the game. Austin Hollins has been pretty good this season, but Andre does not look like the player he was last season. It looks like he has regressed a little. The season is only 35-40% over, so he has plenty of time to get get back. This one hurts though.

Our PF spot is too big of a black hole for both Andre Hollins and Austin Hollins to not peform at a high level. Our outside shooting in general was poor, and we gave up too much dribble penetration. All we really needed was for one of the Hollins' to have a good game, for Oto to have a good game, or for our team to shoot a decent percentage from the three point line and we win the game.

I was very entertained, but I was very frustrated. You could tell with about five minutes remaining the Gophers didn't have enough to get over the hump. Darn it.

Hopefully we can turn this around quickly.

Huge missed opportunity to beat a weakened Michigan at home. We won't have many more gift wrapped for the taking like that one.

Other than Northwestern this conference is really tough, 3 teams in the top ten. Penn State is better. An NIT run is what we can hope for.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Pitino said "it's all about recruiting" when asked about tying to turn the Gophers into a consistent winner in the Big Ten.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/418935460195360768">January 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

To further illustrate two of our biggest problems (outside shooting and Andre Hollins' game) look at the shooting percentages of Austin Hollins and Andre Hollins. Both are shooting less than 35% from the three, and Andre is barely shooting 40% from the field. This cannot continue if we hope to win nine games.

But I hold out hope. This is only game one of 18 in the Big Ten. Even if we don't make the NCAA tournament this year it's ok.

Top Bottom