Gophers basketball: Can Richard Pitino's system work in the Big Ten?

station19

Reaction score
"Richard Pitino might be onto something trying to play a constant full-court pressure, run-and-gun style in the Big Ten.

Or he might be in for a rude awakening.

Either way, the first-year University of Minnesota basketball coach is ready to find out. His Gophers (11-2) open conference play Thursday against Michigan (8-4) at Williams Arena.

Ever since he was hired to replace Tubby Smith in April, Pitino challenged the perception that the Big Ten mostly plays a slow, grind-it-out and physical brand of basketball."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_24830535/gophers-basketball-can-richard-pitinos-system-work-big

I dislike this meme more than anything. Any system can win in any league as long as you have good players and good execution. As long as the rules of the game don't favor one style of play dramatically more than another, then any system can work. This type of reporting and commentary is lazy.

The next thing we will read is that passing teams cannot win football games in the Big Ten.

While I am not convinced constant full-court pressure will work against the more talented, experienced teams in the conference, an up-tempo, run & gun style can definitely win in the Big Ten. Indiana just won the conference regular season last year playing that way. Recruiting talented players, the right players for Pitino’s system will obviously be crucial.

The league isn’t as slow and plodding as the media likes to always make it out to be either. Of the 30 worst, eye-sore, offensively disgusting, grind-it-out, pathetically low scoring games of the last five years, 24 of those games involved either Wisconsin or Bruce Weber’s Illinois teams or both.

Michigan State has always looked to run. It's only logical to try and get easy baskets. They're easier than difficult baskets.

The defense the Gophers had the most success with against Wisconsin last year was when they went pressing/trapping. It's a head scratcher why Tubby only used it sparingly.

The defense the Gophers had the most success with against Wisconsin last year was when they went pressing/trapping. It's a head scratcher why Tubby only used it sparingly.

Another thread quotes Jim Dutcher as saying Pinito is not stubborn. Now Tubby ...?

Another thread quotes Jim Dutcher as saying Pinito is not stubborn. Now Tubby ...?

Perfect passive aggressive Minnesota statement. Dutch's real compliment of Pitino is also properly read as a dig on Tubby without him even mentioning him by name. Brilliant linguistic move, Dutch!

Well, it won the national championship last year so I will say yes, yes it can.

I dislike this meme more than anything. Any system can win in any league as long as you have good players and good execution. As long as the rules of the game don't favor one style of play dramatically more than another, then any system can work. This type of reporting and commentary is lazy.

The next thing we will read is that passing teams cannot win football games in the Big Ten.

Well stated. We get the right athletes to run this system, and Pitino prioritizes quality control and execution, we'll win many games. Simple as that.

I think we can put this to rest! it can work, it does work, it will work

Michigan State has always looked to run. It's only logical to try and get easy baskets. They're easier than difficult baskets.

Because he recruited a bunch of athletes (athletes more than skilled bball players), presumably to play a very athletic style of ball, and then refused to use their athletic abilities on either end of the court. More than anything, THIS was my main criticism of Tubby ball.

When is the uptempo style going to start? Gophers' adjusted tempo according to KenPom

2008: 195th in D1
2009: 214th
2010: 211th
2011: 192nd
2012: 255th
2013: 278th
2014: 264th

So far, before playing 89% of the Big Ten schedule, this team is playing slower relative to the rest of the country than all but 1 of Tubby's teams. This isn't a bad thing, I just can't figure out where all the 'run-n-gun' talk comes from.

When is the uptempo style going to start? Gophers' adjusted tempo according to KenPom

So far, before playing 89% of the Big Ten schedule, this team is playing slower relative to the rest of the country than all but 1 of Tubby's teams. This isn't a bad thing, I just can't figure out where all the 'run-n-gun' talk comes from.

It won't begin until Pitino gets the type of athletes required to run his press. With all of our short guards and wings we really can't cause chaos in the press like Pitino would like. Getting turnovers and fastbreaks in the press will increase our tempo.

It won't begin until Pitino gets the type of athletes required to run his press. With all of our short guards and wings we really can't cause chaos in the press like Pitino would like. Getting turnovers and fastbreaks in the press will increase our tempo.

Good point. Also, the team does noticeably less standing around on offense.

"Lies, damned lies and statistics."

I guess u guys haven't watch one game yet have you??? Because the tempo is a 50 times faster than when tubby was here...

Your stats are scoring averages... not tempo lol

Top Bottom