Shama: Jim Dutcher is impressed by Pitino, says "he's not bullheaded"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Former Gophers coach Jim Dutcher has been impressed with Pitino’s coaching. “For this team to be 11-2, I think Pitino has really managed the team well. He’s not bullheaded. He’ll do whatever he has to do to get the win. Change defenses, change lineups. I think it’s encouraging.”

Dutcher predicts the Gophers will finish seventh in the Big Ten. If so, that will compare favorably with last season’s more talented team that tied for seventh in the league standings.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Also in the story:

Tommy Davis, a former all-conference guard for Dutcher who played on Minnesota’s 1982 Big Ten championship team, was in town last weekend. Davis played pro basketball in France until he was 40 and now coaches in Bordeaux. Davis is now a French and American citizen. “He speaks and writes and is fluent in French,” Dutcher said.

Also in the story:

Tommy Davis, a former all-conference guard for Dutcher who played on Minnesota’s 1982 Big Ten championship team, was in town last weekend. Davis played pro basketball in France until he was 40 and now coaches in Bordeaux. Davis is now a French and American citizen. “He speaks and writes and is fluent in French,” Dutcher said.

Apparently TD enjoyed his time in France. Hadn't heard much about him in awhile.

Someone mentioned this in another forum, so I figured I'd mention it here.

Did Dutcher take a shot at Tubby by saying Pitino isn't bullheaded? There's a perception that Tubby was bullheaded and/or cashing a check and resting on his laurels. It's not possible to read Dutcher's mind, but taking shots like this through the media are common.

Not sure of Dutch's intent, but I sure took it as a direct salvo at Tubby.

Did Dutcher take a shot at Tubby by saying Pitino isn't bullheaded? There's a perception that Tubby was bullheaded and/or cashing a check and resting on his laurels. It's not possible to read Dutcher's mind, but taking shots like this through the media are common.

All I'll say is this: no reporter around here ever questioned whether the ball line defense would work in the modern era with the three point field goal, but they're quick to ask whether a full-court defense that just won a national championship can work around here.

All I'll say is this: no reporter around here ever questioned whether the ball line defense would work in the modern era with the three point field goal, but they're quick to ask whether a full-court defense that just won a national championship can work around here.

Excellent point.

they're quick to ask whether a full-court defense that just won a national championship can work around here

Perhaps I've been reading something different, but I've been saying a lot more people questioning the offensive style rather than the defensive style.

Perhaps I've been reading something different, but I've been saying a lot more people questioning the offensive style rather than the defensive style.

The offensive style is 1) looking for opportunities to run, which is what MSU and others already do, and 2) a motion-oriented pick-and-roll half-court system. Not all that remarkable, and I wonder why people make such a big deal about it.

I've heard both. It goes back to playing fast. People question the ability to play fast on offense and defense.

Which is really odd to me. Pitino's offense is, as he says, pretty similar to Billy D's in Florida. It has worked well for him. Also, basketball in general (especially the NBA) is moving more and more towards screen & roll with lots and lots of threes and guard play.

Mike D'Antoni had some of the best offenses ever with that style.

Even the big 10 is moving that direction. People love to talk about the size of the big 10 like every player, point guards included, is 6'10 and 300 pounds of solid muscle. The Big Ten has changed too and is becoming less and less about brute strength and more about running.

Freudian slip by Dutch. Put him back on the air.:cool02:

I heard he took showers with young boys also.

I heard he took showers with young boys also.

That's just disgusting and uncalled for.

Sorry that you don't like what I said, but there is absolutely a perception that Tubby was bullheaded and/or cashing a check without putting in the work.

The offensive style is 1) looking for opportunities to run, which is what MSU and others already do, and 2) a motion-oriented pick-and-roll half-court system. Not all that remarkable, and I wonder why people make such a big deal about it.

Because those are the people that know more than the Coaching Staff.

I've said this in a couple of previous treads but I have yet to see number 2. I've watched limited games due to BTN but what I have seen isn't any better than last year. Any good defensive team will stymie the gophers in the half court if they play the way they have in the games I've watched.

That's just disgusting and uncalled for.

Sorry that you don't like what I said, but there is absolutely a perception that Tubby was bullheaded and/or cashing a check without putting in the work.

That is the most confounded, abhorrent, despicable, disgusting, invidious, repulsive, detestable and damnable comment without merit that I have seen in quite some time. Was Tubby a tad pigheaded and getting along in years? Sure, I'll buy that... but stop with this bullheaded and lazy talk!

Dutcher is a washed up former basketball coach whose resume can't even touch Tubby's. Tubby can certainly be criticized, but he is the last one to really talk. It's kinda hard for Rich to be stubborn when he's still learning on the job. Tubby has been coaching for decades now and I'm sure most coaches who have are set in their ways and their systems.

Dutcher is a washed up former basketball coach whose resume can't even touch Tubby's. Tubby can certainly be criticized, but he is the last one to really talk. It's kinda hard for Rich to be stubborn when he's still learning on the job. Tubby has been coaching for decades now and I'm sure most coaches who have are set in their ways and their systems.

Tubby was a fraud at Minnesota.

" Shama: Jim Dutcher is impressed by Pitino, says 'he's not bullheaded'."

He says the same thing about dpodoll!!! :)

Top Bottom