STrib blog: Are the Gophers prepared for the Big Ten?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

True that the Gophers didn’t “lay an egg” over the final portion of the non-conference schedule, but they also weren’t challenged much. After facing Richmond on the road, Syracuse and Arkansas on a neutral court in Maui and Florida State at home all within the first nine games, Minnesota was handed four cupcakes to complete November, not to mention the Coastal Carolinas and the Woffords that the Gophers instigated the season with. By losing the first two games in Maui, Minnesota missed a chance to play another quality opponent as well, winding up in the last place game against Division II Chaminade.

“A tougher schedule would have been cool, but it doesn't matter, we just come to play,” DeAndre Mathieu said.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/237982861.html

Go Gophers!!

Personally I think our non conference schedule was fine this year. Not as strong as last year, but having guaranteed games against Syracuse, Cal/Arkansas, Florida St and @Richmond isn't anything to laugh at. Plus, I think Omaha will be tough in the Summit and Montana and SDSU were tourney teams last year. The key is to mix in the right amount of very good teams, middle of the pack teams, and cupcakes. I think the Gophers have a nice mix this year.

Being a season ticket holder for only 3 years I can't complain too much but I can see a season ticket holder of 10+ or 20+ years get frustrated with us playing teams we never heard of year after year. The tamcc game was horrible to be at.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom