Josh Martin Season Updates

GameDay

Reaction score
*Sorry, not sure if this warrants a new thread or not. If not, the mods can just merge it.

With that out of the way, Josh Martin...
1) SHATTERED A BACKBOARD TONIGHT! Yes, he broke the backboard with a dunk.
2) On a separate dunk, he posterized TWO defenders with a thunderous tomahawk throw down.
3) He finished with 24 pts, 12 rebounds, and 2 blocks. Ho-hum.

Game 1: 29 pts, 14 reb (L)
Game 2: 34 pts, 18 reb (W)
Game 3: 25 pts, 18 reb (W)
Game 4: 25 pts, 15 reb (L)
Game 5: 30 pts, 18 reb (W)
Game 6: 35 pts, 19 reb (L)
Game 7: 24 pts, 10 reb (W)
Game 8: 24 pts, 12 reb (W)

Season Average: 28.3 ppg, 15.5 rpg
(All 8 games have been double-doubles)

More excited every day about this kid. Looks more like the Four Star kid...as he

he was originally listed

Hope we get to see a video of his backboard breaking dunk.

More excited every day about this kid. Looks more like the Four Star kid...as he

he was originally listed

I agree. If Martin can give us 20-25 minutes at the 4 next season life is fair. I think Mason can give us 10-15 by mid-season. We need Coach P. and staff to pull a 4* wing out of their hat. I like Morris as the 6th man, but believe we need another wing to average 10-12 points to get off the bubble. Need a slasher/finisher which Morris isn't.

I agree. If Martin can give us 20-25 minutes at the 4 next season life is fair. I think Mason can give us 10-15 by mid-season. We need Coach P. and staff to pull a 4* wing out of their hat. I like Morris as the 6th man, but believe we need another wing to average 10-12 points to get off the bubble. Need a slasher/finisher which Morris isn't.

I don't think we are in on anymore 4* highschoolers. Josh Cunningham would have been a great addition to the class, but it looks like he is going elsewhere. Seems like there is a good chance we could bring in some sort of transfer after the season is over. Not too sure of the JUCO talent that is still available. At this point it looks like Morris would be penciled in at the starting 3 position, unless we get some sort of transfer.

If you watch many of his highlight videos the kid does hang on the rims a little too long on many dunks.

I don't think we are in on anymore 4* highschoolers. Josh Cunningham would have been a great addition to the class, but it looks like he is going elsewhere. Seems like there is a good chance we could bring in some sort of transfer after the season is over. Not too sure of the JUCO talent that is still available. At this point it looks like Morris would be penciled in at the starting 3 position, unless we get some sort of transfer.

I just kind of peruse through the JUCO lists occasionally and guesstimate there's around 40 guys that will sign at high majors, mid majors. It looks to be picked over pretty good. Maybe 5 or 6 under that less than scientific number of 40.

Are you basing that on all of the games you've seen him play?

Do you have to see him play to give an opinion on this board? Most of the guys let me get by, because I played and coached in college.
So playing and coaching college bball somehow gives you a better ability to read a box score?
I hope you don't get so excited you have a little accident.

Simple yes or no would have been sufice....

So playing and coaching college bball somehow gives you a better ability to read a box score?

Simple yes or no would have been sufice....

I don't bother reading box scores from JUCO's because it's very difficult to gauge the level of competition. Mostly I've reviewed his film over and over. I played in college with a wing drafted by the Bulls and you would be amazed what you can learn when you go up against a player like that everyday in practice.

I like Morris as instant offense, first off the bench. Nice shooting form, good 3 point range, and I think his mid-range game is his strong feature. That said, I feel we need a 3 level scorer to get off the bubble.

Do you have to see him play to give an opinion on this board? Most of the guys let me get by, because I played and coached in college.

Is this a serious response? Haha. Yes, in order to have a valid opinion about a player's strengths and weaknesses, you do need to see them play. That is absolutely a requirement. This isn't one of those things where everyone deserves an opinion. How can you know what areas someone is strong or weak in if you've never seen them play? If you're going by what others have told you, that isn't your opinion, it's theirs and you're just repeating it.

I don't bother reading box scores from JUCO's because it's very difficult to gauge the level of competition. Mostly I've reviewed his film over and over. I played in college with a wing drafted by the Bulls and you would be amazed what you can learn when you go up against a player like that everyday in practice.

I like Morris as instant offense, first off the bench. Nice shooting form, good 3 point range, and I think his mid-range game is his strong feature. That said, I feel we need a 3 level scorer to get off the bubble.

What film are you talking about? Highlight videos or full game footage? There's a big difference. When people make highlight videos, they're condensing the footage. Usually they decide to leave the most impressive and exciting things (dunks, blocks, three pointers, etc.) and take out the least exciting things (rebounds, layups, etc.). For all you know (if you're judging by highlight videos) he got most of his points by slashing to the basket, but the editor took it out because he thought those plays were boring. If that's the case, it's impossible for you or anyone else to accurately judge his game. That's why I asked if you were basing that opinion on actual games. Doesn't matter how much coaching or playing experience you have, you can only know what you see and if the editor takes out certain types of plays, you are going to be misled.

Is this a serious response? Haha. Yes, in order to have a valid opinion about a player's strengths and weaknesses, you do need to see them play. That is absolutely a requirement. This isn't one of those things where everyone deserves an opinion. How can you know what areas someone is strong or weak in if you've never seen them play? If you're going by what others have told you, that isn't your opinion, it's theirs and you're just repeating it.

So I gave an invalid opinion, sue me.

What film are you talking about? Highlight videos or full game footage? There's a big difference. When people make highlight videos, they're condensing the footage. Usually they decide to leave the most impressive and exciting things (dunks, blocks, three pointers, etc.) and take out the least exciting things (rebounds, layups, etc.). For all you know (if you're judging by highlight videos) he got most of his points by slashing to the basket, but the editor took it out because he thought those plays were boring. If that's the case, it's impossible for you or anyone else to accurately judge his game. That's why I asked if you were basing that opinion on actual games. Doesn't matter how much coaching or playing experience you have, you can only know what you see and if the editor takes out certain types of plays, you are going to be misled.

Are you somebody important that I should be listening to?

So I gave an invalid opinion, sue me.

Are you somebody important that I should be listening to?

What? No need to get so defensive. You were just stating something as a fact and I pointed out that you can't come to that judement from a highlight video. I wasn't trying to attack you. You might want to grow some thicker skin...

What? No need to get so defensive. You were just stating something as a fact and I pointed out that you can't come to that judement from a highlight video. I wasn't trying to attack you. You might want to grow some thicker skin...

You may want to learn not to preach the obvious.

I think perhaps howieramone needs to be sedated.

ANYWAY, how about that Josh Martin???

He plays in the tournament championship game tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully big things to come!
*Not sure how to embed tweets, (admittedly not very great with technology), but Josh Martin just tweeted a picture of himself alone in a gym with the lights off right now. Tells alot about him that he's working on his game in an empty gym the day after a huge game and the day before an important game.

Top Bottom