Soldier's Point Of View on the National Anthem Last Night

Maldo4848

Reaction score
First of all I"m a solider. Heading to Iraq this summer. I have a brother who has been over there twice. Another younger brother who just finished Basic training, and and older brother that is about to sign up and 4 cousins in the in the military also. (2 of them in ROTC at the U of M.)

I DID take offense. I myself was in the student section. I was outright pissed and wanted to go down there and kick some ass. I'll tell you right now any guy that I serve with and has served would have been pissed and had every right to say or do something.

It might have been funny to you, go ahead and make the excuse you were drunk but try doing that again around a bunch of soliders or familes that have soliders and see what happens. More now than ever the National Anthem should be held to high degree of respect, especially in public events like last night. Remember why you "idiots" (who did that last night) can have all the fun with your everyday freedoms, drinking and having no worries but going to a Gophers game, cause some guy/gal is busting their ass in a desert, far away from home, surrounded by dangers everyday, so the battle stays overseas and doesn't come home.

That said the National Anthem is never a joking matter, I don't care if the person is butchering the music or you just don't flat out like it, keep your mouth shut, be respectful and know even if you don't care about it at all, that others do. THAT IS THE LEAST YOU CAN DO.

By the way, 4 Given, the group last night did a great job. I loved it and thought they did a fantastic job. I have no problem with the Gophers line/added at the end by the fans. But the "fans" that were purposefully trying to butcher it, competing, and making a mockery were completely wrong. The song is to be respected at all times because of those who have died before for this country's establishment and fight now to keep the "horrors of terrorism" abroad rather than here at home or on our campuses.

2LT

Maldo4848...What Really Happened?

What really happened with the national anthem? I have read the other threads on the topic, but I still can't get what the two front rows of the student section did during the national anthem.

Sorry if I didn't summarize it but during last night's National Anthem a handful of "superfans" in the first few rows decided to butcher the national anthem on purpose, on top of that they were trying to compete with the group singing the anthem in a mocking way. It was a sad display.

the group that we had sing the national anthem last night was doing so in a 3 or 4 part acapella (didn't see how many were actually there). Unfortunately, some people apparently don't understand the concept of acapella and thought it necessary to sing audibly throughout.

First of all I"m a solider. Heading to Iraq this summer. I have a brother who has been over there twice. Another younger brother who just finished Basic training, and and older brother that is about to sign up and 4 cousins in the in the military also. (2 of them in ROTC at the U of M.)

I DID take offense. I myself was in the student section. I was outright pissed and wanted to go down there and kick some ass. I'll tell you right now any guy that I serve with and has served would have been pissed and had every right to say or do something.

It might have been funny to you, go ahead and make the excuse you were drunk but try doing that again around a bunch of soliders or familes that have soliders and see what happens. More now than ever the National Anthem should be held to high degree of respect, especially in public events like last night. Remember why you "idiots" (who did that last night) can have all the fun with your everyday freedoms, drinking and having no worries but going to a Gophers game, cause some guy/gal is busting their ass in a desert, far away from home, surrounded by dangers everyday, so the battle stays overseas and doesn't come home.

That said the National Anthem is never a joking matter, I don't care if the person is butchering the music or you just don't flat out like it, keep your mouth shut, be respectful and know even if you don't care about it at all, that others do. THAT IS THE LEAST YOU CAN DO.

By the way, 4 Given, the group last night did a great job. I loved it and thought they did a fantastic job. I have no problem with the Gophers line/added at the end by the fans. But the "fans" that were purposefully trying to butcher it, competing, and making a mockery were completely wrong. The song is to be respected at all times because of those who have died before for this country's establishment and fight now to keep the "horrors of terrorism" abroad rather than here at home or our campuses.

2LT

Amen Maldo. God bless on your stint in the Middle East. Thanks for doing what you do.

Great post, Maldo. I (and everyone else) owe soldiers like you and your family an eternal debt of gratitude.

a handful of "superfans" in the first few rows decided to butcher the national anthem on purpose, on top of that they were trying to compete with the group singing the anthem in a mocking way. It was a sad display.

The students in question apparently did not like the rendition and thought that it was too slow. They began shouting the national anthem off key, while laughing and catcalling, at a much faster pace than the 4 young children singing it. When they finished their disrespectful version of the anthem, they all turned around and screamed "...home of the Gophers" and began cheering over the end of the real anthem (effectively drowning it out).

It was a laugh riot!!11!!

Sorry if I didn't summarize it but during last night's National Anthem a handful of "superfans" in the first few rows decided to butcher the national anthem on purpose, on top of that they were trying to compete with the group singing the anthem in a mocking way. It was a sad display.

First off Maldo, thank you for serving our country, I have the utmost respect for what you and your fellow soldiers are doing so that we can keep our freedom.

That being said, you can eat crow if you think that everyone singing along was BUTCHERING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM ON PURPOSE. That's total garbage that you'd call out a whole group of us just for trying to sing along. You think that we think it's a joke? And that everyone who didn't try to sing along is some type of saint whereas the rest of us are un-American? Now if you want to rip on the people who laughed or shout random things through out the anthem, then go ahead, but don't try to rip on the people who just want to sing along. Being a little two-faced are we?

Crow tastes good. :) I love when people sing along, i or anyone else don't have a problem with that, they shouldn't anyways. BUT, when it is done badly in order to get attention and be seen as funny. That is wrong. I also never called those "so called superfans" which i know were probably a handful, un-Americans, but simply stated that they are being disrespectful, which is not calling someone un-American.

Of course people can sing along even if they don't sound great. But when it is done to mock the people actually singing at the event and doing it to get a couple of laughs and "cool points" with your friends, is when it is unacceptable.

Crow tastes good. :) I love when people sing along, i or anyone else don't have a problem with that, they shouldn't anyways. BUT, when it is done badly in order to get attention and be seen as funny. That is wrong. I also never called those "so called superfans" which i know were probably a handful, un-Americans, but simply stated that they are being disrespectful, which is not calling someone un-American.

Of course people can sing along even if they don't sound great. But when it is done to mock the people actually singing at the event and doing it to get a couple of laughs and "cool points" with your friends, is when it is unacceptable.

What part of saying we don't do it to be funny or get attention don't you get? Most of the people screaming out random garbage or giggling are at least 4 or 5 rows up, so don't call out the first row or two until you get your facts straight. I can speak for the first 8-10 people (counting from the band) in the first 3 rows since they were in my peripheral vision during the national anthem and can guarantee you that none of us who were in those first rows that show up every game did that.

If you're going to have a problem with someone, call out the people who buy a single game ticket for games only on ESPN, sit 4 or 5 rows back by the exit, and scream and yell. Trust me, that angers me just as much as you, but don't call a group of people out that isn't warranted.

What part of saying we don't do it to be funny or get attention don't you get? Most of the people screaming out random garbage or giggling are at least 4 or 5 rows up, so don't call out the first row or two until you get your facts straight. I can speak for the first 8-10 people (counting from the band) in the first 3 rows since they were in my peripheral vision during the national anthem and can guarantee you that none of us who were in those first rows that show up every game did that.

If you're going to have a problem with someone, call out the people who buy a single game ticket for games only on ESPN, sit 4 or 5 rows back by the exit, and scream and yell. Trust me, that angers me just as much as you, but don't call a group of people out that isn't warranted.

EXACTLY! The people who were butchering the anthem were those who are NEVER in the front row. In fact, I had never even seen them at a game before! Most of the "fans" dressed up as farm animals bought single game tickets just to be on tv and hardly even know the words to the school songs! Leave the true fans alone, we're there day in and day out disrespecting no one but the opposite team.

Point stated. Seems we agree, i just hope whoever did it, doesn't do it again, that's all i care about. I don't care who did it just as long as they don't do it again and i expect the superfans in the first few rows and fans around these idiots to let em know it is not acceptable.

Point stated. Seems we agree, i just hope whoever did it, doesn't do it again, that's all i care about. I don't care who did it just as long as they don't do it again and i expect the superfans in the first few rows and fans around these idiots to let em know it is not acceptable.

We will do our best. It already too enough work kicking them to the corner of the front row instead of in the center :) I hope that it won't happen again, and also that you won't call out those of us who did nothing, as that's equally as bad.

YAY! Friends!

-On a side, I agree that it was not in the first two rows, who are there consistently. They were one-game wonders, who I think we can all agree are the bane of all of our existences.

Top Bottom