Pitino post game presser notes - getting better on D, preparing for Michigan, etc.

GopherLady

Reaction score
Hey guys, have the flu so I'm really not on my A-game for typing, but this is what I got:

DeAndre Mathieu
On Charles Buggs: He was practicing really really good, and then we didn't see him. He sprained his ankle, he won't be out for long.
Coach (Pitino) does a good job of making sure we don't under look any opponent, it's not about our opponent, it's about us getting better.
We were playing good, but he wanted us to play great
For the most part, he wants us to get more consistent during the game, we have lapses.*

Dre Hollins

It's cool to be in the record books here at the University, I use that as motivation to get better.*
What's your scoring goal? As much as I can.*

Austin Hollins
If we get consistent, we're going to be a tough team to beat
If need be, to play the 4 spot, I'm ready for that
Dre is playing w confidence, he was just in a little slump, now his shots are falling
On Pitino: His main focus is defense, we have a good offensive team. I think tonight we took a big step forward defensively.*
We wanted to come out in the 2nd half and come out better in the 2nd half, it was better communication
On Pitino: He tells us to look at the bigger picture, winning isn't enough, the score is 0-0 on each possession

Richard Pitino:

• Very good defense performance, I was very proud of our guys. This was a bit of a trap game, looking ahead to the Big 10, and I felt like our guys didn't do that. We got better, since Christmas, defensively and that showed tonight.
• I think that they came back Christmas day and it was going to be a bad practice. Just watching Miami the way they play, ball screens, we showed it to our guys and they learned a lot from that. In order to do what we need to do in the Big 10, we have to defend.
• I thought it was a good overall defense performance.
• Andre Hollins is a good defender, not a great defender, he needs to get a little quicker on the ball. He's shown great growth and great leadership. 18 points in 23 minutes is really good. I need him to put 16-18 points up a game.
• We don't really talk much about the Big 10, we'll just talk about Michigan. We'll watch this film tomorrow, and Michigan too. We are just trying to get one win on Thursday, and then we'll move on from there.
• I'll start watching Big 10 film tomorrow. We need to learn from this film first.
• It helps that McGary is out - I recruited him at Florida, I hate to see him go through an injury like this. Hopefully he gets healthy and goes to the NBA. With our frontcourt, it helps, but you never want to see a guy get hurt. I haven't watched any film on them, so I don't know their frontcourt.
• We'll talk about the Syracuse game, I thought we played really well, we had a great win at Richmond, to hold them without a basket for 7-8 minutes, we'll reference mistakes against Arkansas. It's tough to get up for every single game, but our guys haven't laid an egg mentally.
• I can't remember back to back bad practices, we've probably had 2 total bad practices. Christmas Day I thought was going to be awful, and it was one of our best practices. These guys have got substance, they've got character, we have to hang our head on that.
• I'm not going to text him tonight, I promise you that, after a loss like that. I probably won't text him for a week.
• On Buggs - I pumped him up, and the next possession he sprained his ankle. Hopefully he'll be ready on Monday, he's showing some growth.
99% of the time, these guys have tried to get better, during year one...so they've probably exceeded my expectations,

Thanks Nadine, and get well soon!

Thanks for the under-the-weather effort, GL!

Pitino is one positive dude. That game was poorly played although not so bad on defense. We will need to be a lot sharper against Michigan. Good to hear that Buggs is showing signs in practice- he has a lot of natural ability.

Top Bottom