Big10 season

book

Reaction score
The opportunity for a 3 and 0 start is at hand. Michigan and Purdue at home and then PSU away!
The Michigan game is huge as it was last year. Go Gophers - Will Mattheau be the dynamic pt guard we need?

It's definitely there, however I could also see us losing all three and if that happens we could really be in trouble with the next five. We almost have to win all three to have a shot at the dance

Just like last season, Gophers have a chance to kickstart their Big Ten season with a home win vs. a quality, upper-tier Michigan team, this time Michigan instead of MSU. And just like last season, a second straight home game vs. a very winnable opponent (Purdue) follows. I think 3-0 is possible and would be a great start, but if you twisted my arm right now I'd take a 2-1 start in a heartbeat. It would mean the Gophers either have beaten Michigan or won a road game. Perhaps even both.

The beauty of the upcoming season....will we? Or won't we? Let the games begin.

GO GOPHERS!!!

It's interesting that you point to Michigan as the key game and see a 3-0 start as possible. I look at the Purdue game as absolutely crucial. Maybe I am still picturing Michigan at its best from last year, but I expect to see a much better showing from the Maize and Blue to open the B1G season than what we've seen from them so far. I could be entirely too high on Michigan or too low on the Gophers. If I am right, then Purdue becomes critical because overcoming an 0-2 home record to start conference play is probably too much to ask. I'd gladly sign up for a 2-1 start right now and completely disagree with bemidiji that the Gophers have to start 3-0 to make the tournament.

I am personally concerned about the 4 game stretch after Penn State. The Gophers go: @MSU, OSU, @Iowa, Wisconsin. Can they find a way to win a game in this stretch? If not, are they mentally ready for the next two easier games ( @Nebraska, Northwestern)? In the recent past, when the losing streak has come, the Gophers have never rebounded to be the same team they were prior to said streak.

I think the Michgan game is very winnable if Mattheau is the real deal.

It's interesting that you point to Michigan as the key game and see a 3-0 start as possible. I look at the Purdue game as absolutely crucial. Maybe I am still picturing Michigan at its best from last year, but I expect to see a much better showing from the Maize and Blue to open the B1G season than what we've seen from them so far. I could be entirely too high on Michigan or too low on the Gophers. If I am right, then Purdue becomes critical because overcoming an 0-2 home record to start conference play is probably too much to ask. I'd gladly sign up for a 2-1 start right now and completely disagree with bemidiji that the Gophers have to start 3-0 to make the tournament.

I am personally concerned about the 4 game stretch after Penn State. The Gophers go: @MSU, OSU, @Iowa, Wisconsin. Can they find a way to win a game in this stretch? If not, are they mentally ready for the next two easier games ( @Nebraska, Northwestern)? In the recent past, when the losing streak has come, the Gophers have never rebounded to be the same team they were prior to said streak.
That four game stretch is why we need a 3-0 start, I just don't see a win in there, unless we pull a major upset. At 3-4 we have a shot when the schedule softens, at 2-5 it's tough sledding. 2-1 start means we need to beat either wisconsin, or ohio state, possible yes, but unlikely this year.

A win against Michigan is most valuable as it would be a clear quality win that this team needs after the toe stub in Hawaii and the weak non con schedule. They are also vulnerable now and will likely be a lot better in March. Need to get the job done. Purdue is a nightmare all the time and a win against anyone on the road is a bonus.

I think this team has a chance to be mentally tougher than recent teams which will help in the "should win" games that we have blown in the last few years.

Regarding this stretch: @MSU, OSU, @Iowa, Wisconsin... I think we win at least one and possibly two. If Pitino has proven one thing so far it's that he has these guys a lot more focused, prepared, and mentally tougher than Tubby.

10-2, 12-0, 9-3, 11-1, 12-1, 12-1. The previous 6 records going into the B1G seasons.

I'm with you, book. 3-0 would be wonderful. Very, very small sampling, but a RP2 team has never lost more than 2 in a row. (I'm much too redundant on that stat.)

Have to come out of that first weekend 1-1, 2-0 would really be big, no reason they can't beat Michigan, with the way Austin Hollins has been playing they will match up decently well. Going into Penn State 0-2 would be disastrous, they are going to be tough at home.

Top Bottom