Much frustration with T-Wolves; none with Gophers

station19

Reaction score
"At almost the same time another putrid performance from the Woofies was getting started, the Gophers were finishing a 92-79 victory over Nebraska-Omaha at the Barn. OK, this is only Omaha's third season in Division I basketball, and the Mavericks played into the Gophers' hands by turning the game into a track meet.
Still, Omaha was the one team among the last four before the Big Ten starts with the talent to make things interesting. At the end, the Gophers proved more capable of sustaining the up-and-down game for a full 40 minutes ... improving to 10-2 overall and 8-0 in the Barn.
Deandre Mathieu, the JUCO point guard with jets in his sneakers, loves to play without a speed limit and finished with 27 points. It's unlikely that Mathieu will see this much open court in any of the 18 Big Ten games that are ahead, but the little man is fun to watch when all that space is available.
There's one walkover remaining next week, vs. the Corpus Christi branch of Texas A&M, and then the Big Ten -- and the crowds -- return to the Barn on Jan. 2 vs. Michigan. Right now, the frustration level with the Gophers sits at zero and the chance to get to the NCAA tournament is probably 50-50.
Across town with the occupants of Target Center, the frustration rating is a solid 80 percent. And the chance for the playoffs? When you can't defend, can't shoot and can't be relied on to play hard, the chance can't be more than 1 in 4.."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/236860041.html

T-Wolves and all of Pro Basketball are as boring as a soccer game. Give me Gophers anytime.

It's childish to compare a pro team to a college team etc. Fat Pat did this with free agency spending this summer. He wrote how the Wolves and Vikings were the darlings of the local sports community because of their lavish spending compared to the Twins. Well, how did that end up?

T-Wolves and all of Pro Basketball are as boring as a soccer game. Give me Gophers anytime.

Soccer is more fun to watch then pro basketball hands down — In my humble opinion.

It's childish to compare a pro team to a college team etc. Fat Pat did this with free agency spending this summer. He wrote how the Wolves and Vikings were the darlings of the local sports community because of their lavish spending compared to the Twins. Well, how did that end up?

Actually, I though Reusse actually wrote a good column here. It was spot on about how fans feel abut each team respectively.

Reusse Receives Positive Review on GH

Actually, I though Reusse actually wrote a good column here. It was spot on about how fans feel abut each team respectively.

To each his own. Let me know how you feel when Fat Pat turns on our beloved Gophers and Coach P. Fat Pat is a "Win Now Guy" and has little tolerance for any form of restructuring or rebuilding. I'm guessing he will stick the dagger in if Coach P. can not match Orlando's last season step by step.

To each his own. Let me know how you feel when Fat Pat turns on our beloved Gophers and Coach P. Fat Pat is a "Win Now Guy" and has little tolerance for any form of restructuring or rebuilding. I'm guessing he will stick the dagger in if Coach P. can not match Orlando's last season step by step.

Is that what we are calling this wolves team?? Rebuilding?

Is that what we are calling this wolves team?? Rebuilding?

I know Love and Rubio are on the team and they play at the Target Center which either has or will be remodeled. That's the extent of my knowledge of the Wolves.

This love affair with the Gophers will last until our first 2 game losing streak in the B1G, then he will give us a bunch of backhanded compliments about all the money they are saving their fans by not making the post season or some such BS.

Pat can go suck eggs.

This love affair with the Gophers will last until our first 2 game losing streak in the B1G, then he will give us a bunch of backhanded compliments about all the money they are saving their fans by not making the post season or some such BS.

Pat can go suck eggs.

I completely agree. Two consecutive loses in the B1G, and my least favorite sportswriter will incite his audience, the lunatic fringe.

Soccer is more fun to watch then pro basketball hands down — In my humble opinion.

Obviously the good Dr. does not understand the strategy involved in soccer-most fans of other sports do not. Nothing wrong with that. To me it's insulting to the sport of soccer..... IMHO pro basketball is the worst spectator sport - not even close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Obviously the good Dr. does not understand the strategy involved in soccer-most fans of other sports do not. Nothing wrong with that. To me it's insulting to the sport of soccer..... IMHO pro basketball is the worst spectator sport - not even close.

Hard to call pro BB the worst, but soccer easily better. I mean, as long as cricket exists on the earth, it will always be the worst.

The Wolves are extremely frustrating on several levels. They basically went "all in" this off-season by signing Martin and Brewer and re-signing Budinger and Pekovic. The Wolves now will have no moves to make (other than the MLE if they can stay below the tax threshold) for a long time. Derrick Williams was the one trade chip left on the roster and he was sent out for yet another wing who is an incomplete player in Mbah a Moute. Kevin Love to Los Angeles looks more and more realistic if things don't change...soon. The biggest frustration for me this season is not even the record, but the lack of development as a shooter by Ricky Rubio. I love the kids game and he has that special court vision that so few players have (not just offensively, but defensively as well), but his shooting is an anchor on the team. He's still very young (23), but he's also played a lot of professional basketball so you start to wonder if he is what he is.

As for Love, where he ranks among the games elite has to be up for debate. If he's a top 5 player in the league as some claim, then there's simply no way the Wolves are behind Phoenix, Denver, and Dallas in the playoff race. The fact is, he's a hard player to build around due to the uniqueness of his game. I would have looked towards the Dallas model and how they were successful with Dirk. They had Tyson Chandler as a defensive minded center, Shawn Marion as a versatile defender who often guarded the oppositions best player (2-4), and aging Jason Kidd at point who got a steal or two, but more importantly was a solid 3 point shooter in the waning years of his career. The offense off the bench came from Jason Terry and JJ Barea (career year) and DeShawn Stevenson brought defense.

Pitino is in the honeymoon period, and his squad really hasn't done anything surprising so far in the non-conference portion of the schedule. I think most Gopher fans are excited by the more appealing style of play and the "fresh" feel of the program in general. I hope nobody turns on the guy when he loses a couple games in a row, but it won't surprise me if Reusse (or others in the media and otherwise) does. I still have no idea what to expect from this squad during conference play, I could anything from say 5-13 to 10-8 happening. Outside of finding a way in to the tournament, my next hope is that we see a team that is playing better ball in February and March than it did in December and January.

The Wolves are extremely frustrating on several levels. They basically went "all in" this off-season by signing Martin and Brewer and re-signing Budinger and Pekovic. The Wolves now will have no moves to make (other than the MLE if they can stay below the tax threshold) for a long time. Derrick Williams was the one trade chip left on the roster and he was sent out for yet another wing who is an incomplete player in Mbah a Moute. Kevin Love to Los Angeles looks more and more realistic if things don't change...soon. The biggest frustration for me this season is not even the record, but the lack of development as a shooter by Ricky Rubio. I love the kids game and he has that special court vision that so few players have (not just offensively, but defensively as well), but his shooting is an anchor on the team. He's still very young (23), but he's also played a lot of professional basketball so you start to wonder if he is what he is. As for Love, where he ranks among the games elite has to be up for debate. If he's a top 5 player in the league as some claim, then there's simply no way the Wolves are behind Phoenix, Denver, and Dallas in the playoff race. The fact is, he's a hard player to build around due to the uniqueness of his game. I would have looked towards the Dallas model and how they were successful with Dirk. They had Tyson Chandler as a defensive minded center, Shawn Marion as a versatile defender who often guarded the oppositions best player (2-4), and aging Jason Kidd at point who got a steal or two, but more importantly was a solid 3 point shooter in the waning years of his career. The offense off the bench came from Jason Terry and JJ Barea (career year) and DeShawn Stevenson brought defense. Pitino is in the honeymoon period, and his squad really hasn't done anything surprising so far in the non-conference portion of the schedule. I think most Gopher fans are excited by the more appealing style of play and the "fresh" feel of the program in general. I hope nobody turns on the guy when he loses a couple games in a row, but it won't surprise me if Reusse (or others in the media and otherwise) does. I still have no idea what to expect from this squad during conference play, I could anything from say 5-13 to 10-8 happening. Outside of finding a way in to the tournament, my next hope is that we see a team that is playing better ball in February and March than it did in December and January.

Well said. The issue with Love is he may score 42, but gives up 50 with his awful D. He's gotta get better on that end. Good comparison with Dirk and Tyson Chandler.

Brewer at sf with Love is a good 2-some. Pekovic is a great scorer and rebounder, he is average on defense also. They had to resign Pek but playing him and love together is far from ideal from a defensive stand point. EG is right on suggesting a very good defensive center would be ideal. They also could use a good defensive wing as martin is very bad on d and could be a nice 6th man type. Unfortunately they have no first round pick in a year everyone wants one!

Brewer at sf with Love is a good 2-some. Pekovic is a great scorer and rebounder, he is average on defense also. They had to resign Pek but playing him and love together is far from ideal from a defensive stand point. EG is right on suggesting a very good defensive center would be ideal. They also could use a good defensive wing as martin is very bad on d and could be a nice 6th man type. Unfortunately they have no first round pick in a year everyone wants one!

I believe their first rounder is lottery protected

ITT: People hating on the NBA who don't watch the NBA.

I don't watch a lot of NBA. The regular season can be tough to watch and outside of the T-Wolves, I can't watch ANY of it.

That being said, soccer is so far down the list it isn't even funny. As far as sports goes in the United States, I believe Soccer is typically around 7th on most ratings lists I've seen.

ITT: People hating on the NBA who don't watch the NBA.

That's why we don't watch it, we hate it and we're giving our reasons why. Unlike the Vikings, the wolves have never been able to steal from the market from their gopher counter part because quite frankly they've never been good. When it comes to hoops imo the gophers have always been Minnesota's team

That's why we don't watch it, we hate it and we're giving our reasons why. Unlike the Vikings, the wolves have never been able to steal from the market from their gopher counter part because quite frankly they've never been good. When it comes to hoops imo the gophers have always been Minnesota's team

Am I allowed to enjoy both? It's awesome being able to get excited for 5/6 games a week between the two. If you're of the camp that believes they don't play defense in the NBA, then I can't help you, but I think you will find you are missing out if you just give it a chance. Plus, the wolves have some great characters.

Am I allowed to enjoy both? It's awesome being able to get excited for 5/6 games a week between the two. If you're of the camp that believes they don't play defense in the NBA, then I can't help you, but I think you will find you are missing out if you just give it a chance. Plus, the wolves have some great characters.

You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine, I just think they're a bad team. It's also tough to believe that defense is played when you watch the wolves defend and see their scores in the paper.

From 99-00 to 03'-'04, the Wolves went 50-32, 47-35, 50-32, 51-31, and 58-24. The 58-24 team made the Western Conference Finals and has a great shot to win it all if Cassell doesn't get injured. I love the Gophers and if I had to choose success for the Gophers or success for the Wolves, I'd choose the Gophers every time. That said, the Wolves were actually good more recently than the Gophers were.

From 99-00 to 03'-'04, the Wolves went 50-32, 47-35, 50-32, 51-31, and 58-24. The 58-24 team made the Western Conference Finals and has a great shot to win it all if Cassell doesn't get injured. I love the Gophers and if I had to choose success for the Gophers or success for the Wolves, I'd choose the Gophers every time. That said, the Wolves were actually good more recently than the Gophers were.

I love the Gophers more than any other basketball team. But I will watch an NBA game over a college one (not involving the Gophers) every single time.

I love the Gophers more than any other basketball team. But I will watch an NBA game over a college one (not involving the Gophers) every single time.

Not I, scher. As a matter of personal preference, I will watch reruns of Pawn Stars instead of a T-Wolves game. But that's just an old fart's opinion. During commercials of Pawn Stars, I check the game, and that's it.

I believe you will find that 8 out of 10 feel the other way around.

The NBA is a scoring orgy. The NFL is headed that way.

One day about 8 or 10 years ago I managed to watch a full quarter of a Wolves game. It was a struggle but I made it.

The NBA is a scoring orgy. The NFL is headed that way. One day about 8 or 10 years ago I managed to watch a full quarter of a Wolves game. It was a struggle but I made it.

If the Wolves are the only NBA people are watching, I understand why they hate it.

Top Bottom