Visiting Minnesota - Need Recommendations

Jmmy Chitwood

Reaction score
I am looking to go to a basketball game at Minnesota during conference play (Northwestern game). I am looking for feedback from Gopher fans. I am looking to stay somewhere with restaurants/bars to go out on a Friday and Saturday night (1/31 weekend).

Would I get a car or take cabs all weekend? I need to get to the Saturday day game, and want to visit campus while there for the game. other than that I do not want to drive and want to stay somewhere with access to places to eat and go out.

as a starting point, these hotels look reasonable and good quality/location:

W Hotel - Foshay
The Grand Hotel - Kimpton
Le Meridien Chambers
Hyatt Regency
The Westin Minneapolis
The Depot Renaissance
Hilton Minneapolis
Millennium Hotel
The Hotel Minneapolis

looking for a couple of nice places to eat both nights downtown, and somewhere around campus more casual for saturday day. probably breakfast both mornings too. bar wise - in my 30's, unmarried, most likely with gf and not looking to stay out much past midnight but will want drinks and see some of night life.

thanks and Go Gophers!

I am looking to go to a basketball game at Minnesota during conference play (Northwestern game). I am looking for feedback from Gopher fans. I am looking to stay somewhere with restaurants/bars to go out on a Friday and Saturday night (1/31 weekend).

Would I get a car or take cabs all weekend? I need to get to the Saturday day game, and want to visit campus while there for the game. other than that I do not want to drive and want to stay somewhere with access to places to eat and go out.

W Hotel - Foshay
Le Meridien Chambers
Hyatt Regency
The Westin Minneapolis
The Depot Renaissance
Hilton Minneapolis
Millennium Hotel
The Hotel Minneapolis

looking for a couple of nice places to eat both nights downtown, and somewhere around campus more casual for saturday day. probably breakfast both mornings too. bar wise - in my 30's, unmarried, most likely with gf and not looking to stay out much past midnight but will want drinks and see some of night life.

thanks and Go Gophers!

Stay at the W. In the building is Manny's arguably the best steakhouse in town (Murray's would be the other choice). Murray's has better steak, but Manny's has better sides and seafood. Then go to Oceanaire for seafood. You can really step up your game and go to La Belle Vie. It is the best restaurant in town, but it's definitely pricey.

You could stay Le Meridien as well. It has a very nice and fancy restaurant of the same name.

You could stay at the St. Paul Hotel and go to the St. Paul Grille, which is a great steakhouse. Then you could go to Kincaid's the next night.

On campus I like going to Stubs before or after the game. For a night on the town, there's some good bars in uptown (Lake Street) as well

W Hotel - Foshay
Le Meridien Chambers
Hyatt Regency
The Westin Minneapolis
The Depot Renaissance
Hilton Minneapolis
Millennium Hotel
The Hotel Minneapolis

thanks and Go Gophers!

For breakfast, go to Key's Cafe downtown. Also, go to Al's Breakfast in Dinkytown. It's the best breakfast in town. You may have to wait for a little while, but it is worth it.

Stub and Herbs is a great place to eat for your day on Saturday. I also like the Big Ten, especially for their subs, and Campus Pizza is very good. Annie's Parlor in Dinkytown has solid burgers, good fries, and excellent malts. If you want something a little different go to Shuang Cheng in Dinkytown for Chinese food. It is really good Chinese food.

Jimmy, glad to hear you're going to make it up for a game. Would love a report on Buggs after you talk with him. What is his mindset with the limited minutes he's getting, what is he working on in practice? Would love to hear your assessment of his development as well, given your history with him. Pitino has said he has NBA potential, but he's barely getting any minutes, so clearly he's raw to say the least.

The Depot Renaissance is a solid choice. It's right on the outskirts of the Downtown Mpls, The Warehouse District/North Loop, NE Mpls and it's all very walkable, well...not with the girlfriend, lol. Take a private car (Lincoln, Cadillac, SUV, etc) that works with the hotel for $10 (minimum fare) or a regular taxi at the taxi stand in front of the hotel for $5. I'd recommend Bar La Grassa for dinner and get drinks afterwards, but there are so many good suggestions.

To get to the game it's a quick car ride (again, use a private car that works with the hotel, imo) to/from Williams arena for $10 each way. Get there early and walk around. Campus won't be very crazy against NW, in the daytime, but you'll find some spots right in Dinkytown to eat/drink at. Good luck.

These are good options if you're looking to spend a lot of money, haha. I think staying at the St. Paul Hotel is a huge waste of money, but people seem to love to overpay to stay there. Depends what you're into. The restaurant is great though, I'll give them that. All those restaurants are tasty/expensive.

Stay at the W. In the building is Manny's arguably the best steakhouse in town (Murray's would be the other choice). Murray's has better steak, but Manny's has better sides and seafood. Then go to Oceanaire for seafood. You can really step up your game and go to La Belle Vie. It is the best restaurant in town, but it's definitely pricey.

You could stay Le Meridien as well. It has a very nice and fancy restaurant of the same name.

You could stay at the St. Paul Hotel and go to the St. Paul Grille, which is a great steakhouse. Then you could go to Kincaid's the next night.

appreciate the recommendations from low end to pricey. I will likely mix in all price ranges so having options is good.

I do love the dive/local flavor places as well. even for high end I like to try places that I have not before, that are specific to the area. I have some Triple D and Bourdain taped to see where they have visited in the area and will research online. but personal recommendations from locals are always the best.

any more suggestions would be welcome. looking forward to visiting your city. thanks!

Jimmy, glad to hear you're going to make it up for a game. Would love a report on Buggs after you talk with him. What is his mindset with the limited minutes he's getting, what is he working on in practice? Would love to hear your assessment of his development as well, given your history with him. Pitino has said he has NBA potential, but he's barely getting any minutes, so clearly he's raw to say the least.

to be honest I dont talk to Charles a lot, though I know you meant when I come up there. I do on occasion and I also get reports, and overall it seems like things are progressing well (notwithstanding limited minutes). as we saw in the fsu game, he is a very athletic and skilled player. I was surprised to see him inserted during those important minutes, and think that has to be some sign of the coaches having confidence in his abilities. and even in limited minutes, he did some good things vs a quality opponent. he has to earn more minutes in practice, and I think he knows that. that is college basketball. nothing is given. and if a coach thinks you will help him win - you will play.

I think one of the benefits of him not being a highly rated/hyped kid is there is not an immediate demand for minutes like there would be with some recruits. he is an unselfish young man by nature, so it seems that this trait has benefitted him while not playing so much (yet). he is also very early in his career, and he has no experience in real D1 competition prior to this season. in contrast, most other players on the roster have last year at a minimum, and several with extensive game experience.

I still believe Charles has a very high long term ceiling, as Pitino has stated and Tubby Smith before that. I think patience is still key due both to the make up of the current roster and the very limited game experience. I have seen similar limited game time for other players that I have coached who are now in college, and it is important for players to buy into the program and work to earn their minutes, which I think is happening here.

I am still excited about the future, both for Charles and your program. really looking forward to an in person game experience.

If you stay downtown (Minneapolis) the W is really nice - but pricey. Good bar scene on the main floor level - also small quiet bar up top so you would have a couple options. I find that the Hilton (1/3rd the price of the W) is a better value. For restaurants - check out MASA for high end Mexican. Excellent happy hour/margaritas. It's on Nicollet Mall - an easy walk from the W or the Hilton. Take a cab up to the 112 Eatery. Voted as one of the top five restaurants in MSP for over a decade. For pizza - cab it up to Washington to Black Sheep Pizza. Fulton Brewery (across the street from Target Field) would be worth a visit. Check out their Sweet Child Of Vine - just an excellent IPA. If you like Asian foods cab it down to Eat Street in South Mpls for options like Quang - Jasmine 26. Szechuan Spice on South Lyndale is very good. Even more Asian options available in St Paul. Ngon Vietnamese Bistro on University not far from The Barn would be a solid choice. Enjoy.

Bar La Grassa or Broders for Itallian.
Modern Café for fancy home cooking (if you crave pot roast then it is a must).
Burch, Manny's, or Murrays for Steak.
Bar Louie in uptown for the crowd, decent burgers etc.
Blue Door for Burgers
Lola's for Pizza

Hell's Kitchen for breakfast downtown.
Waffles (definitely not your mothers waffles) at the Birchwood for breakfast, South Minneapolis not to far from campus.

Someone earlier this year put together a full spread of things to do in MPLS with maps and everything. I am too lazy to pull it up, but maybe someone can find it. If you want some hometown character I would check out Nye's.

Agree that W at Foshay would be my pick. Classic building with a modern twist. I prefer pubs to clubs, so didn't really care for the bar at the W. Even Prohibition on the top floor wasn't my scene. I prefer someplace like The Local or even Gluek's.

For lunch, Kramarczuk's!

Stay in the Twin Cities with all they have to offer. Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT come to The Northern Gentlemen's Club in Fargo.

My favorite hotel downtown is the Graves. Best showers by far. And very luxurious at not that bad of a cost.

Man this thread makes me realize that I didn't do much when I lived in the twin cities for 5 years, too young and too damn busy to enjoy it.....

W Hotel - Foshay
Le Meridien Chambers
Hyatt Regency
The Westin Minneapolis
The Depot Renaissance
Hilton Minneapolis
Millennium Hotel
The Hotel Minneapolis

thanks and Go Gophers!

You should try Priceline "Name Your Own Price" - If you do 4star downtown - MPLS - You can get some really nice hotels for a cheap price. The usually Hotels I've gotten (Do it a lot) are -

Hotel Minneapolis - Autograph Collection
The W
The Westin
Hyatt
Hilton
Graves 601
Radisson

All of those hotels (if taking a cab) will be the same price (cab wise) to get to Dinkytown and back.

It's worth a shot for sure.

I just checked Priceline and with the express deals...4 star = $55. So with name your own price you could get that down to probably $45 a night.

outstanding advice. I owe this man a drink. I got a 4 star hotel for $50 a night, which was much cheaper than the options I had been seeing elsewhere. thank you sir.

You should try Priceline "Name Your Own Price" - If you do 4star downtown - MPLS - You can get some really nice hotels for a cheap price. The usually Hotels I've gotten (Do it a lot) are -

Hotel Minneapolis - Autograph Collection
The W
The Westin
Hyatt
Hilton
Graves 601
Radisson

All of those hotels (if taking a cab) will be the same price (cab wise) to get to Dinkytown and back.

It's worth a shot for sure.

I just checked Priceline and with the express deals...4 star = $55. So with name your own price you could get that down to probably $45 a night.

Regarding the Dinkytown suggestion, the last time I had a hamburger at Annie's Parlour it was a pre-cooked,then warmed up hockey puck type burger. It probably was a Sysco food service frozen patty, so Annie's Parlour is all hype and zero performance. For the record they make a much better hamburger at the Blarney Pub on 14th in Dinkytown.

I am so sick of hearing about the 5-8 Club, Matt's and Annie's Parlour and good hamburgers listed in the same paragraph in almost every lazy food article about TC food written. I can name ten neighborhood bars that make a much better, from scratch under $9 (FU Blue Door, Red Cow) hamburger, including Sweeney's, the Tavern on Grand, Dixies, and the soon to be departed Costello's Bar on Selby in St Paul.

Heck, if you want a good hamburger in Minneapolis go to Ike's or JD Hoyt's, screw Matt's Bristol.

outstanding advice. I owe this man a drink. I got a 4 star hotel for $50 a night, which was much cheaper than the options I had been seeing elsewhere. thank you sir.

Once you find Priceline you never go back. For the future though, be very careful of the area map. Often they spread the map to allow one hotel that is way away from the rest- see Ramada Plaza in the University Zone. Decent hotel but $15 cab ride to University.

Or check Holiday Inn Austin Town Lake. Or check Hotel Husa President Park Brussels. Well you get my drift.

Not a problem at all. Hope you have a great time while here!

Once you find Priceline you never go back. For the future though, be very careful of the area map. Often they spread the map to allow one hotel that is way away from the rest- see Ramada Plaza in the University Zone. Decent hotel but $15 cab ride to University.

Or check Holiday Inn Austin Town Lake. Or check Hotel Husa President Park Brussels. Well you get my drift.

hey I like the Holiday Inn Austin Town Lake...but I know what you mean.

I ended up in The Hotel Minneapolis. Looks like a unique and interesting hotel, and with access to the skyway deal. from what I have read so far, I definitely want to try to bar at the W hotel. I need to look into the restaurant recommendations but flight and hotel are set.

so to make sure I have this right - just cab to the hotel on friday, and I will be able to take a cab to and from campus on Saturday? other than that the sky bridge will allow me to get around town friday and saturday nights, and maybe a cab to another area if needed? I am trying to look at this skyway map now.

hey I like the Holiday Inn Austin Town Lake...but I know what you mean.

I ended up in The Hotel Minneapolis. Looks like a unique and interesting hotel, and with access to the skyway deal. from what I have read so far, I definitely want to try to bar at the W hotel. I need to look into the restaurant recommendations but flight and hotel are set.

so to make sure I have this right - just cab to the hotel on friday, and I will be able to take a cab to and from campus on Saturday? other than that the sky bridge will allow me to get around town friday and saturday nights, and maybe a cab to another area if needed? I am trying to look at this skyway map now.

The Hotel Minneapolis is a great hotel.

They will have plenty of cabs out front for you. Also, all the main bars and attractions of Downtown are within blocks....walking distance depending on the weather.

From the Airport, I might suggest taking the lightrail. It will drop you off a block from the hotel and will cost you about $2. A lot cheaper than a cab ride.

From the Airport, I might suggest taking the lightrail. It will drop you off a block from the hotel and will cost you about $2. A lot cheaper than a cab ride.

Agree. I work about a block from the same platform you'll get off downtown. It's $1.75 during non rush hour, and $2.25 during rush hour. 1/2 hour from my office door to security at the airport. About 2 months ago my flight was delayed, missed the 1:32 a.m. train, next one doesn't show up for a 1/2 hour, so I took a cab. It was about $45 with zero traffic.

When will the light-rail be up and running between Mpls and St. Paul? I thought I had heard it was starting in January. If that's the case, then no need for a taxi if you have a hotel downtown. Anyone know the timing on the LRT?

Also...I thought the "Green Grover" would put up the list of places to visit once again. Green Grover, that was one of your best posts when you did that. Probably needs to be pinned up at the top of the board for all visitors to review.

When will the light-rail be up and running between Mpls and St. Paul? I thought I had heard it was starting in January. If that's the case, then no need for a taxi if you have a hotel downtown. Anyone know the timing on the LRT?

Also...I thought the "Green Grover" would put up the list of places to visit once again. Green Grover, that was one of your best posts when you did that. Probably needs to be pinned up at the top of the board for all visitors to review.

N/A for this guy and his GF. That post was intended for guys that were on a boy's weekend. But here you go. [ninja edit - Thanks for the compliment]

O.K. Here is your itinerary:

You want your Hilton buddy to hook you up with the Double Tree at 11th and Lasalle, that will be the best Hilton location for you.

Here is your plan for Friday:

You might skip this plan and just move to (E) on the map (which is totally cool), but read the explanation at the end.

Check in and hit the bricks. (A) on your map
Follow the map, your first stop is Brit's Pub (B) on your map. Grab a pint there (no rooftop bocce ball in the winter for you...sorry). Quick, 1 beer/C-tail stop. Move a couple of blocks to The Local (C) on your map, which sells more Irish Whiskey than any bar in the US. Both of these stops might not be hopping even if you arrive late Friday (as stated in previous post). The map from there depends on your time of arrival. **Option -- Stop right next-door to Barrio for tequila shots, and they show old spaghetti westerns, projected on a huge screen over the bar, an occasional spot for a group of "hens" hitting downtown---avoid The Newsroom across the street, it's not for your group---also resist going into Zelo (a block away, north), too old of a crowd for your group (The Local might also be too old, but it's a wildcard on Fridays)**. The next stop that I suggest is The Depot on 1st Avenue (D) on your map. I only suggest this because it is part of the First Avenue bar, "the bar that Prince built". It might only be worth sticking your head in and then moving on, depending on what's going on. Sorry, but there is no "must see" band at First Avenue or The Entry...don't worry, you don't know what The Entry is, but some awesome bands play there. Anyways, it's only a one-bump stop before you move on. Depending on ETA you might be running out of time by now, and not really seen any hopping places. But the most logical route takes you to Kieran's (E) on our map. Good bar, but now you are in the teeth of the bar scene in Minneapolis. Guys don't need any direction other than placing them in this area and you'll find a spot to hit. Stay on 1st. Avenue, keep moving northwest, you might wander a 1/2 block right or left from there.. There are a couple of spots on Hennepin, but probably not worth walking around to get to. Plenty of trouble to get into on 1st. I won't even bother listing them.
Sorry for the huge map:
qpJsl.jpg

So, it's Saturday morning, and you have all day.
First thing is breakfast. You need to fuel for the day, so start at Hell's Kitchen, a brisk 4 block walk from your hotel. You will not be disappointed.

The rest of the day? Since you have a car I would head to "The U" campus to take a look around. Personally, I like walking campuses to see the old architecture, etc. I would park in Dinkytown and start walking. You need to burn off last night, and you need to earn your beers, so wear some walking shoes, and get moving. You can check out the WAM The Weisman Art Museum on campus, even if you don't go in, it's a cool building to check out. There is a bridge right next to the WAM that you can walk across to the West Bank that crosses the Mississippi. People who don't grow up with the Mississippi running through their state seem to enjoy that, but we're just too used to walking over the river for classes to even notice it anymore, sadly. On the west bank there are some great bars, but you want to walk right back across the bridge and hit Stadium Village to some of the places for lunch/beers that people have mentioned before...Stub & Herb's, Sally's, et.al.

Now it's the big part of the weekend. You've gotten back to your hotel, rested a bit and ready to hit it again. Take a cab. Take a cab to Psycho Suzi's Motor Lounge, and then you're walking (easy) for a while. Suzi's has some really good food, google the menu and trust me. Worst case scenario is that you have a couple of good drinks there and then walk to The Sample Room and eat there. Not a bad place, good food (but over-priced) (and the owner is a bitch) (but she's hot (1998 hot)). Sample Room might be too low key for your group, but it's a good stop before you keep walking to Grumpy's, it's probably your longest walk of the weekend between stops, but it's still only about 10 minutes. Spend a little time at Grumpy's and then head north to The Gastof, a traditional German bar and restaurant. Try the Boot. See the map below for the route:

gblIc.png

O.K. You're in "Nordeast" Minneapolis and far from your hotel. Call a cab (cabs DO NOT wander around nordeast...call ahead...install cab4me, etc.) and head to Nye's [Esquire Magazine - Best Bar in America and Top Ten Bars You Must Experience Before You Die, and the home of "The World's Most Dangerous Polka Band. RIP Ruth Adams]. Avoid the restaurant side and head to the bar side. Just ask the bartender for "A Polish". (Like Poland the country, not polish, like you're cleaning a table). You might get 3 or 4 different beers when you get a round, but that's how it goes there. You won't even be able to pronounce the names of the beers, but that is part of the experience. If Nye's has nothing going on, there is a whole bunch of bars a couple of blocks from there. Cab it home, and hope you can make it through Sunday.

It's Sunday morning and now we have to deal with the Al's conundrum. First, let me tell you that I love Al's, spent many a blissful morning there. But if you stay downtown, I'm not sure it's the best option. Hopefully, you've already been to Hell's Kitchen, and if you want a uniquely UofM experience, Al's is your stop...no question. It's a small, cramped place where you rarely sit next to the person you walked in with. Make sure you grab a paper or some other reading material and stand behind one of the 10 or or stools and wait for a spot to open. Might be the best breakfast you've ever had. A close second would be Key's Cafe, just a couple of blocks from your hotel (I'm still working on the assumption that you take the Hilton that I recommended).

Now you have some dead time before the 5pm start of the game. Honestly, after breakfast I would walk over to Loring Park, go over the bridge and wander around the sculpture garden. You have time for it before you head back to Stadium Village or Dinkytown for your pre-game.

***Rationale - You can go to any large city, find bars, have fun, make memories. The plan that I set out tries to put you you into places that are unique to The Twin Cities. Every city, town, or little college village has plenty of places to have beer, pizza, tacos, etc. and you would probably have a great time. My best memories come from finding the out of the way places. Take a little or a lot of what I've offered.

June

I tried to find that itinerary earlier but no luck. I second the compliment. Great Itinerary - but I may have to get in a little better shape to try and keep up with the whole program. I agree it should be pinned at the top of the Board somewhere.

If you like pizza, I agree with others on Blacksheep pizza. In the winter walking is out, so you would need to cab it. If you like beer have the cab drop you off at Fulton Brewery, drink a couple of pints, and you can walk over to Blacksheep from there (it's kind of a warehouse area, but I think. It'd be a safe place to walk at night. Others agree?)

I'll toss out one other option for dinner (it's pricey and usually requires reservations), you can get within a couple of blocks via the skyway system: www.112eatery.com

Top Bottom