Iowa - Iowa St.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Great game. Up and down. Iowa had the lead most of the game but blew it at the end.

Interesting that the Iowa St. student section decided to rush the court in a game they were the higher ranked team. It's not like they hadn't beaten Iowa for awhile or anything either. They've won 4 out of the last 5 now.

I was wondering why they would storm the court too. Kind of ruins it for when a game is actually worthy of court storming...

Also, typical Iowa fans would not stop complaining about how the refs lost the game for them. It clearly had absolutely nothing to do with missing three free throws in a row to end the game.

Who hates Iowa???

It's pathetic that Iowa has two programs better than ours right not, really no excuse for that. Georges Niang is such a skilled player, great fundamentals. He hit the big basket tonight late and was basically the sole reason ISU won at BYU as the Cougars had no answer for his post/face up game . The one thing I have noticed about Iowa this year is that they struggle to defend. They are really deep though and can score with the vast majority of teams in the country. I think we'll see Iowa back in the top 25 eventually (unfortunately) and ISU will be a bit of a Jeckyll and Hyde team all year.

can't believe I'm saying this but with all the ames trolls on this board, I couldn't figure out who I hated more in this game

It's pathetic that Iowa has two programs better than ours right not, really no excuse for that. Georges Niang is such a skilled player, great fundamentals. He hit the big basket tonight late and was basically the sole reason ISU won at BYU as the Cougars had no answer for his post/face up game . The one thing I have noticed about Iowa this year is that they struggle to defend. They are really deep though and can score with the vast majority of teams in the country. I think we'll see Iowa back in the top 25 eventually (unfortunately) and ISU will be a bit of a Jeckyll and Hyde team all year.
Iowa is a Iowa team, State is Hoiberg's penitentiary of other programs misfits

I was impressed with Iowa tonight. I think they're better than ISU, although you got the feeling with the home crowd that ISU might find a way to pull this one out (and did).

Refs? I thought the reffing was fine. Iowa had multiple chances to ice the game at the line. FT shooting at the end was the difference in the game...both teams seemed to go to the line every other possession down the stretch. Gesell and Marble just choked...that was at least 6 critical FTs missed down the stretch (2 front ends, and 2 others). ISU was not good earlier but in the last 2-3 mins when the game was on the line, they made them all.

I know one thing. We need Vaughn more than ISU. They've got a few guards/wings that are underclassmen, including would-be Gopher recruit Matt Thomas (the 4* guy that wanted to come here and Saul blew him off).

I was impressed with Iowa tonight. I think they're better than ISU, although you got the feeling with the home crowd that ISU might find a way to pull this one out (and did).

Refs? I thought the reffing was fine. Iowa had multiple chances to ice the game at the line. FT shooting at the end was the difference in the game...both teams seemed to go to the line every other possession down the stretch. Gesell and Marble just choked...that was at least 6 critical FTs missed down the stretch (2 front ends, and 2 others). ISU was not good earlier but in the last 2-3 mins when the game was on the line, they made them all.

I know one thing. We need Vaughn more than ISU. They've got a few guards/wings that are underclassmen, including would-be Gopher recruit Matt Thomas (the 4* guy that wanted to come here and Saul blew him off).

Is it really because of Saul that Matt Thomas isn't here? I had heard Tubby's staff cooled on him or something (not sure why, as he would have likely been our highest rated recruit since Royce White), but I'm not sure I've ever heard Saul blamed in particular. I'd be curious to know what the story is, if anyone truly knows.

I have never heard that he wanted to come here and Saul blew him off.

can't believe I'm saying this but with all the ames trolls on this board, I couldn't figure out who I hated more in this game

Here, here. In the past I would have been with the Clones all the way, but these trolls have soured me on them big time, to the point where I borderline hate them. The charms of the Iowan population, I guess.

Here, here. In the past I would have been with the Clones all the way, but these trolls have soured me on them big time, to the point where I borderline hate them. The charms of the Iowan population, I guess.

Guys, not all Iowa or Iowa State fans are bad news. But I can't think of the names of the two that aren't.

If Iowa drops out of the rankings for losing by 3 points on the road to an undefeated ranked team, then the voters are bigger idiots than I thought.

Despite what Iowan's will tell you, last night was telling about how much the rest of the country cares about them. biggest game in their rivalry in years, and it's on a Friday night at 8:30 on ESPNU.

I think it's funny that Hoiberg gets this reputation as such a great coach when his teams suck on defense. Great offensive coach maybe but his teams blow on D.

Why so much Cyclone hate on here? A few internet trolls don't make up a school of 33,000 students and one of the most loyal fan bases in collegiate athletics.

But yes, that court storm was effing stupid.

Why so much Cyclone hate on here? A few internet trolls don't make up a school of 33,000 students and one of the most loyal fan bases in collegiate athletics.

Read the Vaughn thread

Unfortunately a few can make people hate a team. One girl I used to work with a long time ago is the main reason I hate Virginia Tech now. She wouldn't shut up about them (this was shortly after they went to the NC with Vick).

When a majority of the posts on this board are from Cyclone trolls, then the hate is just going to be there. Plus we're battling you guys (and other schools) for a very important recruit.

+1

Somehow Gonzaga is ranked year after year yet they peaked under Monson.

Exactly they are ranked year after year and don't play many ranked teams nor beat many ranked teams. Last year their ranking based on their schedule was totally a joke.

Unfortunately a few can make people hate a team. One girl I used to work with a long time ago is the main reason I hate Virginia Tech now. She wouldn't shut up about them (this was shortly after they went to the NC with Vick).

When a majority of the posts on this board are from Cyclone trolls, then the hate is just going to be there. Plus we're battling you guys (and other schools) for a very important recruit.

Fair enough. Maybe a home-and-home between ISU and Minnesota would show Gopher fans the real definition of nice. :D

Exactly they are ranked year after year and don't play many ranked teams nor beat many ranked teams. Last year their ranking based on their schedule was totally a joke.

Gonzaga was for real last year, but they had a deceptively tough matchup in the Round of 32. Should've gone a lot farther but they got a tough draw. Olynyk was the real deal. They were really good in 2012 but again had a tough draw. They have been as unlucky as any team in the country in terms of the draws they have had when they have had their best teams. Drew Uconn in the Elite 8 in '99. Drew Steph Curry-led Davidson in their first game in 2008 and Gonzaga actually had the higher seed. UCLA made the NC game in 2006 and that was who Gonzaga would've had to have beaten to get to the Elite 8. Now, Gonzaga isn't very good this year, but they're not a joke of a program.

Top Bottom