Dan Monson Update...

G4L...........

where have you been?

and then you burst back on the scene with a positive Monson story.

Is theis change we can believe in?

Were you at the Ok-Ok St. game....so much to catch up on!

Monson's an all-around good goober. I wish him well someplace else.

I did not attend this year's Bedlam game, but I did Turkey Day in a luxury suite at Texas Stadium.

Monson Update

I would say that for somebody who could not get a top 100 recruit as a first choice he did not do to bad.

Nolen
Johnson
Westbrook
Hoffarber

They are all going to be major contributors this year.

His coaching, specifically on the defensive end, left something to be desired, but I think he had some decent teams. He just never got a quality big man, forwards but never a center. Hagen developed into a decent big man but wasn't highly recruited.

I would say that for somebody who could not get a top 100 recruit as a first choice he did not do to bad.

Nolen
Johnson
Westbrook
Hoffarber

They are all going to be major contributors this year.

His coaching, specifically on the defensive end, left something to be desired, but I think he had some decent teams. He just never got a quality big man, forwards but never a center. Hagen developed into a decent big man but wasn't highly recruited.

I think I've said this before, but I still think Coach Dan did a good job his first couple seasons here. The turning point was that strange midnight thing were he had seemingly had accepted an offer to coach Washington and found out that he couldn't get out of his contract here. He was strange talking to the media that night and from then on seemed to have lost the fire needed to coach at this level.

You guys are making apologies more Monson! He was terrible. Those players you named goes to show how good of a coach Tubby is. Monson had good players. His coaching was the problem. No identity on offense. His team played with no heart. Before Coach Mo came they were playing a 2-3 Zone. Only Syracuse and 5th grade traveling teams play 2-3-Zone. The reason LBS almost beat WI is becasue the Badgers are down this year. Give him time, he'll mess them up too. Ane he'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

I am glad we have Tubby, but I will always root for Monson. I met him at the Gopher football game in Berkeley and he couldn't have been nicer to me and my friends.

Monson Got a Raw Deal

Monson should still be the coach of the Gopher basketball team. He was just coming into his own when the rug was pulled out from under him by Maturi. It took a long to time to recover from the Haskins era and just when that disaster is finally in the rear mirror and things are looking up, BANG, they fire the coach. So Dan stays just long enough to pay the price for the Haskins debacle and then kick him to the curb? What kind of business is that?

Wink.... :D

Rawer than Raw!

You are so right BrewsterBooster! He brought our program back form the depths, then has a tough start in the 2006-2007 season down in Orlando and Boom he's out the door with only 1.5 million dollars to show for his efforts. Few remember he was in the NIT just the year before.
People forget what a great recruiter he was. Does the name Chris Humphries ring a bell? How about Rick Rickert or Joel Prysbilla. Some darn good talent. It's just that they were not greatful enough to Dan to stay for four years.

;);)

Mike S is right on....He tried to leave, couldn't, and was a jerk to the media about it. He was never the same after trying to accept the Washington offer.....

Washington has to be dang thankful that we wouldn't allow him out of his contract and forced him to stay here.

Even I loved the guy for about six months.

A nice man, he was in way over his head in the Big Ten. Then he was given premature contract extensions without earning them. Once a majority of fans finally woke up, his honeymoon ended. Maturi did the right thing, but several years too late.

I think for most (not all) folks that ended either March 3, 2002 (Illinois 67, Gophers 66) or for sure November 29, 2006 (Clemson 90, Gophers 68). The former (and the ensuing choke in 2002-03) was the warning sign, the latter was the capper.

Monson does deserve some credit for his early rehab work, but that is an early millennial story. Not too relevant in our modern world. We have no reason to wish the man ill. The fact is though that in the end, for whatever reason he was auguring-in and he was taking the (modestly elevated) program with him. Thinking that he left before he was appreciated is a fantasy. Hope he does well at LBS.

Monson was here the right amount of time - just long enough for Maturi to get Tubby.

Surprisingly Tubby has benefited from the players Monson recruited. D. Johnson was recruited as a project. He clearly was not ready to contribute out of HS and everyone agreed that patience was required for him to develope. Monson was patient and Tubby has collected the reward.
Westbrook was one of Monson's best recruits. However he would have been gone except for the coming of Tubby.
Monson never seemed to be able to recruit pg's. Nolen was certainly his best pg recruit. I don't know how much credit Monson deserves for Hoffarber. He was the consolation prize when Leuer chose the Badgers. I think the Carlson School of Business and his loyalty to the home state deserve as much credit for his becoming a Gopher as anyone on the BB staff.
I expected bigger things from Monsons star recruit K Payton.

>>I expected bigger things from Monsons star recruit K Payton.<<

There's nothing shabby about 1 minute of playing time per game as a senior. Probably will decrease during conference games.

Surprisingly Tubby has benefited from the players Monson recruited. D. Johnson was recruited as a project. He clearly was not ready to contribute out of HS and everyone agreed that patience was required for him to develope. Monson was patient and Tubby has collected the reward.
Westbrook was one of Monson's best recruits. However he would have been gone except for the coming of Tubby.
Monson never seemed to be able to recruit pg's. Nolen was certainly his best pg recruit. I don't know how much credit Monson deserves for Hoffarber. He was the consolation prize when Leuer chose the Badgers. I think the Carlson School of Business and his loyalty to the home state deserve as much credit for his becoming a Gopher as anyone on the BB staff.
I expected bigger things from Monsons star recruit K Payton.

I've thought about that too Ray. And would DJ, ANjr, Hoff & LW have developed into the solid players they are today without Tubby's coaching? I don't think so.

Off topic comment ... The Terribly Timid Timberwolves have been criticized for several bad draft picks/trades like Roy for Foye, or this year, Mayo for Love (& Miller) but team culture and coaching have so very much to do with how players develop. Who knows? Maybe if the Wolves had kept Roy, he'd be trash and Foye would be a star. It's hard to say.

Top Bottom