Reusse column: Memories from Gophers' most recent bowl trips

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Reusse rates bowl trips:

1-2002 Music City Bowl (Nashville, Tenn.): Gophers 29, Arkansas 14.

Arkansas went on a six-game winning streak to win the SEC West. The Razorbacks were thumped by Georgia in the title game. They showed little fight as 8½-point favorites. The Gophers held the ball for 38 minutes, had a 434-288 advantage in yards and got five field goals from Dan Nystrom.

2-2003 Sun Bowl (El Paso, Texas): Gophers 31, Oregon 30.

Rhys Lloyd kicked a 42-yard field goal with 23 seconds left for the winning points. The Gophers rushed for 241 yards; 131 from Laurence Maroney on 15 carries. Quarterback Kellen Clemens went 32 for 43 for the Ducks, with the game’s MVP, Sami Parker, catching 16 passes for 200 yards.

The Gophers finished 10-3 and rated No. 20 by the Associated Press and No. 17 by the coaches.

3-1985 Independence Bowl (Shreveport, La.): Gophers 20, Clemson 13.

It was a cold night with a small crowd, but the significance of the victory was that it came three weeks after Lou Holtz had left for Notre Dame. Minnesota named defensive coordinator John Gutekunst as Holtz’s replacement. Being 1-0 and giving the Gophers a bowl victory for the first time in 24 seasons was helpful to Gutey’s cause.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/235509461.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

"The Gophers have played in 15 bowl games. The first two were Rose Bowls and captured the soul of this state as thoroughly as did any trip to a World Series, a Super Bowl, a Stanley Cup final or a Final Four.

There was the first one on Jan. 2, 1961, when our national champions were upset 17-7 by Washington, and the game on Jan. 1, 1962, where that disappointment was put aside with a 21-3 victory over UCLA."

Read the entire article and I am glad Pat remembers what I hated about the Liberty Bowl (the only bowl I have attended in person) - the incessant playing of "Rocky Top Tennessee."
Since the game was played in their home state, the sellout crowd was probably 75-80% Volunteer fans. And this song was played every time Tennessee had a good play, it was played every time Minnesota had a bad play, it was played every time the Minnesota had an upcoming key play so the Tennessee faithful could rise up and yell, it was played during every timeout, and it was even played while the Gopher Band was playing the rouser. To this day I still mentally wretch every time I hear the song - and have rooted against Tennessee (all sports, not just football) ever since.

That Sun Bowl win got us to 10 wins as well, I believe.

I was at all three games!!! As a student we drove to Shreveport (had no idea where it was) and had a great time as we gave the smack talking Clemson fans a beat down. Hospitality was EXCELLENT in Shreveport. We got comped appetizers and many drinks while wearing our Gopher gear.

El Paso was a good time, and how can you go wrong with Mexico next door ;). Only thing was we were too tired for the New Years celebrations after partying all afternoon for the Gopher game.

Nashville was also a lot of fun...if you like live music and beer. Had a great time on both of my trips. Got real tired of the Arky trash getting in your face and going SOOOOOEEEEEEEEEE. Never seen a fan base leave town faster than the pig fans after we whupped them. Alabama game was similar but the Bama fans were a bit more knowledgeable and classier (for the SEC).

Seems like a lazy column where all Pat at the do was dig out the archives

I found it to be a meaningful review of UM's bowl history. Many on this board are too young to remember many of these. I particularly liked Reusse's description of the state's unified tingle about the Rose Bowl appearances. Then the Vikings came and Gopher football faded in the fans' hearts.

I was a little surprised to see the 2006 Insight Bowl ranked as high as it was. Reusse had an interesting take on the blown lead, that at least we played well enough to get the big lead. Not surprised to see the Brewster bowls at the bottom. We really need to see a win. Mason's last bowl game was my freshman year of college. Bowls have not treated us well since then.

1. 2006 biggest bowl collapse ever
2. 2008 21 point loss
3. 2009 loss to bad ISU team on a bad turnover
4. 2012 led by 7 with 71 seconds left, then gave up 10 points in last 70 seconds to lose

This program really needs a strong bowl showing this year to get some of these bad tastes out of our mouth. If we lose to a 6-6 ACC team with no wins against top 50 opponents, it will fit right in on my above list.

Top Bottom