Wow, Marshall Bjorklund!

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
Arlington, Mn Senior was outstanding (26 points) as NDSU beat 73-69 the Irish at ND. He was a one man show in the second half. Fun to watch.

I know he had his reasons for going to Fargo but he was better than anything I have seen from any Gopher thus far. Just sayin.

Not enough of an athlete for Tubby.

yeah, but other major conference schools saw the potential and made him offers, he just picked NDSU over them....give me a break...

Back in the day, a guy like Bjorkland maybe would've walked on at the U. Now with over 350 D1 basketball programs, and all of these directional schools playing D1 ball in our border states, they take a mid-major or low-major scholarship rather than walking on at the U. Kind of similar to NDSU football...they're obviously not going to beat us for any scholarship recruits, but the fact that they're there siphons away guys that maybe would've walked on here (and once in a while those type of guys could end up really helping the team down the road).

Back in the day, a guy like Bjorkland maybe would've walked on at the U. Now with over 350 D1 basketball programs, and all of these directional schools playing D1 ball in our border states, they take a mid-major or low-major scholarship rather than walking on at the U. Kind of similar to NDSU football...they're obviously not going to beat us for any scholarship recruits, but the fact that they're there siphons away guys that maybe would've walked on here (and once in a while those type of guys could end up really helping the team down the road).

Go ahead tools. Make this a NDSU thread if you must.

My point was to post about a MN kid who totally owned Notre Dame and would be a stud as a Gopher. The kid was bleepin phenomenal! He just happened to choose to play hoops for NDSU. It could have been UNI, Iowa State, etc.This is no different than a Royce or Leuer thread.

It will be interesting to see how HE does against TheOSU.

I always like seeing "Mr. Regular Season" (Mike Brey) get beat. Nice work, NDSU. Hopefully Indiana and Ohio State hang a couple Ls on Brey in the next week, too.

Was always impressed with him when he came in here to play. Nice combo of size and skill, which you can find in Minnesota. I like that Richard is chasing top shelf talent, but finding a few of that type of player would be a plus to the roster.

He is from the metro.

Haha. Not at all true. He went to Sibley East. Gaylor, Arlington, Green Isle make up that school district. Not one has a population more than 2,300. And they are all about as rural as rural agricultural communities can be.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NDSU senior and Minnesotan Marshall Bjorklund had 26 pts vs. Notre Dame. He could've started at PF for the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>. Tough 6-8, 250-LB kid.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/411182811673284610">December 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NDSU senior and Minnesotan Marshall Bjorklund had 26 pts vs. Notre Dame. He could've started at PF for the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a>. Tough 6-8, 250-LB kid.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/411182811673284610">December 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

How dare Marcus tweet this! Doesn't he know he's the GOPHERS beat writer? Ugh! Thank god for threads like this to fill 10 day gaps between games.

Damn, that poll thread was just starting to get interesting.:cool02:

My previous post magically disappeared but who would want to talk about a MN kid playing well when you can hear Amir Williams almost said "Dick" in an interview

AZGopher, as we said to you in a PM, we deleted a number of posts because they were caught up in a back-and-forth battle that took away from the OP. If you were responding within that context, we deleted the post. All posts talking directly about the OP without getting in the back and forth were left. We appreciate the understanding and encourage this thread to stay on topic.

Why do we always have to have pissing contests when a MN boy does well for NDSU?

Let's just congratulate Bjorklund and NDSU on a great upset at Notredamus. The game is over, the Bison won at ND, Bjorklund had a good game, but he also had a supporting staff that helped in that win. BTW, the Bison go to tOSU on the 14th, let's see how they do there.

I saw a lot of HS and AAU hoops four and five and six years ago and I thought it was obvious then that Wolters was the best all around basketball player in the state for kids his age and that Bjorklund was the best basketball player his age. Not sure what old Tubby was thinking taking say Eliason over Bjorklund and even he admitted that obviously Wolters was a mistake. Tough to miss kids like this although with Wolters class I get what the rankings were for Rodney, Royce, et al but you still have to find a spot for the St. Cloud kid. Our class Bjorklund's year is embarrassing with only Hollins as worthy as Bjorklund was of a U offer.

Can we talk about the good news?: the Hulk will be very Bjorklund-like in what he brings to the table.

How dare Marcus tweet this! Doesn't he know he's the GOPHERS beat writer? Ugh! Thank god for threads like this to fill 10 day gaps between games.

I saw a Marcus tweet about father Pitino here to watch the gophers give SDSU a beat down.

What writer tweets that? Idiot.

I am not sure what the parallel is here for the basis of this tweet:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Helped <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> to play South Dakota St instead of North Dakota St. Would've been a tough one. Bison pulled off nice win vs. Notre Dame.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/411181344211730433">December 12, 2013</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

I saw a lot of HS and AAU hoops four and five and six years ago and I thought it was obvious then that Wolters was the best all around basketball player in the state for kids his age and that Bjorklund was the best basketball player his age. Not sure what old Tubby was thinking taking say Eliason over Bjorklund and even he admitted that obviously Wolters was a mistake.

Every other AQ coach in the country missed both of them as well.

Our class Bjorklund's year is embarrassing with only Hollins as worthy as Bjorklund was of a U offer.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but it's pretty tough to argue that Bjorklund was a better recruit than Walker or Eliason (or even Osenieks for that matter).

My thinking is the exact opposite of Marcus. It would have been better for the Gophers to play NDSU than SDSU. Pretty much everyone had NDSU pegged as one of the favorites (along with Denver) in the Summit going into the season, while SDSU, obviously, was going to fall off quite a bit without Wolters. NDSU was much more likely to give the Gophers a tough game & additional schedule pop than SDSU.

To be clear, not blaming Pitino. I heard the Gophers wanted to renew the series, but Saul Phillips decided to go in a different direction. That's understandable considering the Bison's lack of success vs. the Gophers (even when they had Woodside) as well as who NDSU already had on its schedule (Ohio State, Notre Dame, St. Mary's, Southern Miss). NDSU's schedule is plenty difficult as is.

I saw a lot of HS and AAU hoops four and five and six years ago and I thought it was obvious then that Wolters was the best all around basketball player in the state for kids his age and that Bjorklund was the best basketball player his age. Not sure what old Tubby was thinking taking say Eliason over Bjorklund and even he admitted that obviously Wolters was a mistake. Tough to miss kids like this although with Wolters class I get what the rankings were for Rodney, Royce, et al but you still have to find a spot for the St. Cloud kid. Our class Bjorklund's year is embarrassing with only Hollins as worthy as Bjorklund was of a U offer.

Does the name Royce White ring a bell, he was a problem child, still is, but from a pure talent stand point he's a better player than Wolters, Bjorklund I could agree with, I don't really remember the class of 2010 that well, seemed to be a weak class at the time compared, 07, 08 and 09

A good win for the Bison. Notre Dame's frontcourt is pretty unathletic, so the perfect opponent for someone like Bjorklund to have a great game against. Indianan State already beat them by more in South Bend; Notre Dame struggling some. It is easy to say we missed on Marshall. It is also easy to see that he has a great post up game averaging 15pts a game and shooting 71% from the floor, but I also see that for a 6'8" 250lb player he is averaging 4 REBOUNDS a game as a senior! Last year against Rodney and Trevor he has 12 and 6. It seems as though when a player gets passed over by the local college and by all the big conference schools and kids prosper at the mid majors we all like to say someone missed. But you can only sign so many players, some are cant miss, some are suprises, and some dissappoint. This is like looking at the nfl draft 5 years later and saying who the vikings should have drafted, well duh! I would rather have him then say Oto or King right now, but I wouldn't say i would trade him for EE. Walker would make me think, as Walker has the potential to be better.

EE may never get score 20 a game, but his defense and rebounding are way better. Plus EE is at least 7' in shoes, he was always taller than Colt, and Colt was 7' in shoes at the draft camp. 7' versus maybe a 6'8" guy.

Also Indi Eliott Eliason is a good player, you don't think he's U worthy?, 09 was a freakishly good year, Mbakwe, White, Williams all legit NBA prospects, Justin Cobb the guard we took is also one, could predict back then that Cobbs would transfer, no one did, people who pimp Wolters do so with hindsight and revisionist history and sports aren't played in those context. So who here was not happy at the time when the class of 09 was signed, sealed and delivered?

My thinking is the exact opposite of Marcus. It would have been better for the Gophers to play NDSU than SDSU. Pretty much everyone had NDSU pegged as one of the favorites (along with Denver) in the Summit going into the season, while SDSU, obviously, was going to fall off quite a bit without Wolters. NDSU was much more likely to give the Gophers a tough game & additional schedule pop than SDSU.

To be clear, not blaming Pitino. I heard the Gophers wanted to renew the series, but Saul Phillips decided to go in a different direction. That's understandable considering the Bison's lack of success vs. the Gophers (even when they had Woodside) as well as who NDSU already had on its schedule (Ohio State, Notre Dame, St. Mary's, Southern Miss). NDSU's schedule is plenty difficult as is.

I believe NDSU was the party who backed out correct?

I know that the '09 class was loaded but when you watched Wolters play back then he just has always had "it". It's not hindsight to say it's too bad we didn't find a way to bring him on board because he was great almost every time he took the floor. I think his biggest advocate back in the day was Ryan James who knows a lot more than me about the local hoops scene. The "nobody else offered him" argument is a typically stupid DP reply. I also don't know that Royce was/is/ever will be a better player than him; two different skills sets both obviously very talented.

EE is a goofy player who is only marginally effective and is playing heavy minutes because we don't have anyone better on campus not because he's a particularly legit B1G post player. I don't know that we can "win" with him playing as much as he does. Bjorklund isn't a 5 though so probably not a good comparison for me to have made.

The '10 class was a deep D1 class, but not really at the B1G level and if you look at what happened to most of the kids who went D1 from that year nearly all of them have transferred out of their first school and are playing D2 somewhere or not playing at all. Noreen stuck it out at WVU, but most of the fans there seem to hate on him quite a bit. He plays hard, though and seems to be an asset to his team. The Gopher's '10 class was crap so not having offered Bjorklund probably stings more than Wolters although Wolters is obviously the better player of the two.

If Tubby had offered and signed these two he'd probably still be our coach so in retrospect I'll be glad he didn't because I like Richard and his style of play a lot. Anyway, they were always my two favorite players in their classes; if you looked past the dunks and acrobatics et al from Rodney and Royce and crew Wolters always seemed to stand out to me and Bjorklund was so, so good the question with him I think was about whether he was tall enough to play the 4 in the B1G and I think obviously he would have been.

Top Bottom