Syracuse Fan Boards Talk Smack

GopherinPhilly

Reaction score
Here is what is being talked about on the Syracuse Fan Board. They think very highly of their 6-6 record and the long storied history of their school. That said, we are going to slaughter those rubes!

From the Thread: http://syracusefan.com/threads/ask-a-gopher-fan-and-receive-legit-responses.63516/

We are still putting players in the NFL hall of fame and is around 15th in all time wins. Syracuse is tied with Alabama and Ohio St. for 4th in Hall of Famers. When's the last Minnesota player that had their Jersey retired on MNF?

You guys are Boston College without the Heisman candidate TB and a weaker pass game.

I'll just say that it appears the Minnesota response, whether we should take it personally or not, seems to be fueled by an exaggerated level of self-importance, glaring lack of perspective, and perhaps also a lack of understanding how the bowl process works. Unfortunately, Minnesota is in a conference filled with marketable programs (the BiG relies quite heavily on their marketability, and sometimes not a lot of actual talent), and Minnesota isn't one of them.

I would say that Minny from of national perspective is much lower profile than CUSE (History, NFL players, BCS games, HOF, TV )

So in review: Minny got a better bowl than they deserved last season, thanks to bowl bans on better B1G teams. Minny scheduled light this year, got two extra wins OOC, had a few decent wins only to collapse back to their normal mediocrity - and then with their self-inflated view of themselves decided they were above a team that looks eerily similar to themselves statistically? I've seen this movie before, WVU North.

From The Thread: http://syracusefan.com/threads/minnesota-the-great.63514/

I'm still absolutely stunned that this team is favored. They are a "run first, run second" offense. How the hell do they expect to beat us? They don't have the QBs to beat us with the option like Tech. If we shut down Andre Williams, I'm very confident we can shut down there "above average" back.

I honestly think Syracuse, if Hunt and the offense show up, could blow out Minnesota. I see no strength in the Minnesota Gophers that Syracuse can't answer, and no weakness that Syracuse can't exploit.

Minnesota isn't even .500 historically in the Big 10. How could they possibly look down on us.

Love your B1G all-time record. Do you even try? Well, I take it back. You do have a winning record over U of Chicago. So you got that going for you.

Hey, Minnesota. The only sport you've ever been relevant in is ice hockey. You should feel bad...

I thought Minnesota was a basketball school?

I'm with GopherinPhilly now, let's pound these Turkey's in to submission and beat them by three touchdowns. We owe them for having to put up with watching an out of shape Donovan Mcnabb pollute our TV screens as a Viking in 2011. Now I know why GopherinPhilly is calling them suckacuse, they scoff at our 6-6 record last year when that record this year is just as putrid and they have two losses by over 50 + points.
They talk smack about our overall Big 10 record when they just joined the ACC and played the majority of their years in the Big LEAST
conference, a conference we could have won in even with our wet diaper defenses in the early nineties(Oh that's right we beat them when they had the vaunted Donovan Mcnabb when Syracuse was supposed to be good.

"Hey, Minnesota. The only sport you've ever been relevant in is ice hockey. You should feel bad" this get's my goat for no other reason then we have won more National Championships in football then Men's Ice Hockey. Bunch of Turkey's.

gopherinPhilly has a fun thing going. Let's let the fans talk smack, raise some ire, insult, maim, pillage then burn, insult each other some more, have fun and then let the teams speak for all of us on the field.

GO GOPHERS!!!

I read both of those threads and have come to hate their fan base almost as much as Iowa/Wisconsin's.

My favorite part of the quotes from above are how we "had a few decent wins only to collapse back to their normal mediocrity." Yeah, beating four solid Big Ten teams, two of which Cuse lost to this year, and then playing well and keeping it close against two of the best teams in the Big Ten. Yeah, if that isn't "collapsing back to mediocrity, I don't know what is.

We're gonna school suckacuse so bad, they're gonna fold up the football program & have men's field hockey instead!!!

suckacuse sucks!!!

Was that a joke? I'm not a fan of smack talk on either side, but at least use logic. They have a better history? Debatable, but who cares? What does that have to do with this season?

We loaded up on a soft non-conference schedule to find two more wins this year? We were 4-0 in non-conference last year, too ... with a win over Syracuse, by the way. Oh, and our two-win difference is attributable to our wins over two teams that beat them.

This is an attempt at good-natured ribbing. Or else he's a moron.

Merry Christmas Orangemen. I would recommend sitting on Santa's lap and not your basketball coaches'. Best of luck against against a quality opponent from a quality conference. Why is it that you play football in a basketball bubble?

"I'm still absolutely stunned that this team is favored. They are a "run first, run second" offense. How the hell do they expect to beat us? They don't have the QBs to beat us with the option like Tech. If we shut down Andre Williams, I'm very confident we can shut down there "above average" back.

I honestly think Syracuse, if Hunt and the offense show up, could blow out Minnesota.

I see no strength in the Minnesota Gophers that Syracuse can't answer, and no weakness that Syracuse can't exploit."

sounds like something panthrhawk would say

"I'm still absolutely stunned that this team is favored. They are a "run first, run second" offense. How the hell do they expect to beat us? They don't have the QBs to beat us with the option like Tech. If we shut down Andre Williams, I'm very confident we can shut down there "above average" back.

I honestly think Syracuse, if Hunt and the offense show up, could blow out Minnesota.

I see no strength in the Minnesota Gophers that Syracuse can't answer, and no weakness that Syracuse can't exploit."

sounds like something panthrhawk would say

Yeah, except it was by a Suckacuse fan on their board.

Was that a joke? I'm not a fan of smack talk on either side, but at least use logic. They have a better history? Debatable, but who cares? What does that have to do with this season?

We loaded up on a soft non-conference schedule to find two more wins this year? We were 4-0 in non-conference last year, too ... with a win over Syracuse, by the way. Oh, and our two-win difference is attributable to our wins over two teams that beat them.

This is an attempt at good-natured ribbing. Or else he's a moron.

Moron.

We're gonna school suckacuse so bad, they're gonna fold up the football program & have men's field hockey instead!!!

suckacuse sucks!!!

Lol...you mean Women's Field Hockey - The Orangina Crush!

This is a team that needed a last-second TD against a mediocre BC team just to squeak into a bowl game. They make it seem like their run defense performs like the steel curtain. As I stated in another thread, their sack-adjusted ypc against is similar to Nebraska's, which we ran for 270 yards against. If we play like we did against Wisconsin and Michigan St. and do a better job finishing drives we will beat this team by 2 or 3 scores.

I agree with others, their comments have made me want to absolutely destroy this team. Since last year we've gotten better and they regressed, let's kick some ass.

Even Brewster beat Syracuse at their house... If that's not an insult I don't know what is..

I love this classic transitive property argument:

"Wait, you were able to run (not really as proven in this thread) on MSU. The same MSU that lost to Notre Dame. You know, that powerhouse that lost to another middle of the road ACC team in Pitt. We unfortunately lost to Pitt by one point, but you get the idea. I hope your coaches and players think we are as bad as we were against Georgia Tech."

http://syracusefan.com/threads/minnesota-the-great.63514/page-2

Orange? Seriously. No further discussion is needed. Playing college football in a dome stadium is so eighties.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I recall, they were the same way the last two times we played them, which, ahem, we won. Their responses are classic East Coast type behavior from the school of "how dare they not respect us? Don't they realize they're actually the ones who have no chance against us mighty East Coasters?" drivel that flows regularly from that side of the country. In other words, just more of the same crap only this time it's in the context of a bowl game. Personally, I'm just looking forward to the bowl game in general regardless of the what the idiots who populate Syracuse think.

syracuse-js.jpg
image.w174h200f3.jpg

As I recall, they were the same way the last two times we played them, which, ahem, we won. Their responses are classic East Coast type behavior from the school of "how dare they not respect us? Don't they realize they're actually the ones who have no chance against us mighty East Coasters?" drivel that flows regularly from that side of the country. In other words, just more of the same crap only this time it's in the context of a bowl game. Personally, I'm just looking forward to the bowl game in general regardless of the what the idiots who populate Syracuse think.

Makes sense if it was the Basketball fans doing the boasting but there's probably something to your point. Read a board or two after last year's loss and they were upset with their QB and incredulous that they lost to a team as bad as Minnesota.

It reads to me like people who don't get much respect from the public, no respect from the Syracuse Basketball fans and are trying to pump themselves up into thinking that they not only should beat the Gophers, the Gophers don't deserve to get any respect at all.

Suspect that after this year's game their boards will read about the same as last year.

So in review: Minny got a better bowl than they deserved last season, thanks to bowl bans on better B1G teams. Minny scheduled light this year, got two extra wins OOC, had a few decent wins only to collapse back to their normal mediocrity - and then with their self-inflated view of themselves decided they were above a team that looks eerily similar to themselves statistically? I've seen this movie before, WVU North.

If our performance against Wisconsin and Michigan St. is considered a "collapse", then what do you call losing more than 50 twice in one season?

Makes sense if it was the Basketball fans doing the boasting but there's probably something to your point. Read a board or two after last year's loss and they were upset with their QB and incredulous that they lost to a team as bad as Minnesota.

It reads to me like people who don't get much respect from the public, no respect from the Syracuse Basketball fans and are trying to pump themselves up into thinking that they not only should beat the Gophers, the Gophers don't deserve to get any respect at all.

Suspect that after this year's game their boards will read about the same as last year.

That's what makes this all the more interesting. By all accounts, the loss vs. Syracuse in Maui recently was pretty well respected by both sides. Now the sport changes, and all of the sudden everybody is out for blood. To me, it just seems stupid all the way around. It's one of the reasons I try not to get too wrapped up in any of it to be honest.

Funny how they brag about having more Pro Football Hall of Famers than us, they have 7 to our 6, but Tony Dungy will most likely get inducted very soon. Wonder if they realize we have TWICE as many College Football Hall of Fame PLAYERS as they do, 18 for us, 9 for them.

They do have 6 of their hired coaches that made the Cfb HOF compared to our 4, but 3 of those coaches for Syracuse only coached there 1 or 2 seasons and so their making the HOF hardly had anything to do with having coached at Syracuse. Lou Holtz for us only was there 2 years, so the same could be said for him. Eliminating those coaches leaves 3 for each school. And the funny thing is that one of their 6 is none other than our esteemed UMn alum Biggie Munn, lol. And not on the list for Minnesota is of course Biggie Munn as I already mentioned, Bud Wilkinson, Clark Shaughnessy and Gil Dobie. Not sure if Syracuse has any graduates that went on to HOF coaching careers or not, but I doubt they have as many as we do.

And do they somehow not realize that we have 6 recognized National Titles to their 1, and 10 total to their 3???

Hahaha. They like to point to how bad our passing game is even though they are ranked 102nd to our 116th in ypg. That shakes out to about 40 yards more per game. Yet, they've been down at least 28 points or more for approximately 9+ quarters or 20% of the entire season. I'm sure their offense really moves the chains against a prevent defense or 2nd and 3rd team units.

Who gives two shts about Syracuse? I could not be more bored with this matchup.

Suckacuse is a basketball school only not a real good one...second tier at best. They ain't Duke...and this year, Duke would kill them in football too!

Suckacuse aint ****!

In the last 50 years, Syracuse University has only produced TWO Natl Champions outside of the sport of Lacrosse.

Their Men's Crew team won a Natl Title in 1978, and their Men's BB team won the Natl Title in 2003 as we are all well aware of.

Meanwhile, outside of the sport of Ice Hockey, in the last 50 years the Univ of Minnesota has won Natl Titles in Men's Wrestling, Men's Golf, Men's Baseball and gotten Women's VB and Womens BB teams to the Final Four. Our Dance Team is a dynasty that's won 8 Natl titles. Our Men's Gymnastics team has finished #2 in the nation.

We've put more players into the NFL than SU has.
We've put more players into the NBA than SU has.
We've put more players into MLB than SU has.
We've put more players into the NHL than SU has.

We've put twice as many players into the Cfb HOF than SU has.
We've put more players into the Naismith HOF than SU has.
We've put more players in the Baseball HOF than SU has.
We've put more players into the Hockey HOF than SU has.

We've had more players win Gold Medals in the Olympics than SU has.

We invented Cheerleading.

And what has Syracuse ever done for us?? We gave them future HOF coaches Biggie Munn and Ossie Solem(Helms HOF).

SU never made the cfb Top 10 or 20 before WWII, so to be nice, comparing our 2 programs since WWII, here is their Top 5 rankings vs ours.

1-4-6-8-10
vs
1-6-8-9-10

not a big difference.

And in head to head action, they've lost 3 straight to us.

This seems appropriate.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZN5PoW7_kdA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

these guys, i don't even want to look at their board anymore with all this stupidity

"Your conference's champion couldn't even beat Notre Dame. And Pitt would beat Minnesota easily. Their D line would eat your O line up."

Top Bottom