Gophers football places 35 on Academic All-Big Ten Team

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
http://www.bigten.org/genrel/121113aab.html

"To be eligible for Academic All-Big Ten selection, student-athletes must be letterwinners who are in at least their second academic year at their institution and carry a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher."

Second in the conference only to Nerdwestern, who put 36 on the list.

For comparison's sake, Wisconsin had 25 and Iowa had 14.

"To be eligible for Academic All-Big Ten selection, student-athletes must be letterwinners who are in at least their second academic year at their institution and carry a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher."

1, Be careful, or some dumazz (like pantherfawk) will start referring to the Gophers as Nerdasota.

2. Iowa is over rated!!!

Nice to see about a half dozen guys in graduate programs as well. Good work all around.

I also see that Ibraheim Campbell (a former Brewster recruit) is on the Northwestern list. I recall when the Gopherhole team did an interview with him that it got a little nasty on the board. It was something about him thinking pre-Med with an ACT score that was middling and a bunch of ya-hoos in here were all over the kid, basically calling him stupid. I see he's majoring in Economics and not pre-Med, but there's no question that any concerns about his academic chops by the folks on here were woefully misplaced.

Waiting for the Strib to mention this accomplishment in some side ways, backhanded insult, like "Congrats to the U Athletics for not getting caught cheating this time and having 35 academic all big ten"

Michigan had only 10 !?!
Everyone Michigan person I know of seems to think they are second to only Northwestern in terms of B1G academic standing

Congratulations to all 35 student athletes! This is a great achievement and icing on the cake of a very successful season. I'm proud this is our team!

Go Gophers!

Michigan had only 10 !?!
Everyone Michigan person I know of seems to think they are second to only Northwestern in terms of B1G academic standing

In terms of universities as a whole they are quite right, by a pretty large margin.

Interesting to read the whole list. I see Michigan's Graham Glasgow is on it. If I am recalling, he was a kid who Kill tried to get to walk on here with his first class, but Glasgow walked on at Michigan instead. He's earned a scholarship there and started for part of the year.

The only reason I mention this, is that I am becoming increasingly enamored of Kill's ability to find talent. Off topic I know, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Interesting to read the whole list. I see Michigan's Graham Glasgow is on it. If I am recalling, he was a kid who Kill tried to get to walk on here with his first class, but Glasgow walked on at Michigan instead. He's earned a scholarship there and started for part of the year.

The only reason I mention this, is that I am becoming increasingly enamored of Kill's ability to find talent. Off topic I know, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Accurate, but you missed one step. Glasgow turned down Kill with the intent to walk-on for OSU, and then made the flip to Michigan just a couple weeks before fall camp. He started the majority of the games for Michigan at C this year as a RSo and thus will probably end up a 2.5-year starter. Not a bad gig for a walk-on.

And you're right - it's starting to become apparent that Kill knows what he's doing. The recruiting service rankings have great value, but they aren't infallible. Character and academics are part of the overall package to which Kill recruits.

Thanks dpo. I was totally unaware of the tOSU part of the equation. Makes me wonder why the kid wasn't offered by somebody with a last-minute scholarship seeing he had so many good walk-on (assuming preferred walk-on) offers.

It's still going to boil down to landing top-tier kids at the skilled positions, but Kill appears to have a really dialed-in network. Love that he is hitting the Deep South as hard as he is.

Mods, you accidentally deleted one of my posts. I was tying to help a wayward Becky fan who wandered onto our board. He/She goes by maroonedinca. He/she has a history of sticking up for all things Deer-lovers and ripping all things maroon and gold. I kindly pointed out directions>>>> to Beckyville>>>>> so he could engage with like-minded individuals.

That, or he thinks he is a better troll than he really is. I have seen through him from the start, as many others have as well. Please leave these directions here for him. In my opinion the only thing worse than a Becky troll is a Becky troll too embarrassed to be out-ed as a Becky troll.

Fantastic! Way to go Gophers!

And Dpodoll, this is by far your best post of the year, thanks.

"Character and academics are part of the overall package to which Kill recruits." Good to see this sentiment. Thanks for expressing it.

I haven't seen the link to the strib's version. I'm thinking a headline along the lines of "All But 35 Gophers Miss B1G Academic Honors."

For those of you that are too lazy to click a couple times....

Michael*Amaefula* Minnesota* Jr.* Physiology* Arlington,*Texas*
Cole*Banham* Minnesota* Sr.* Business*And*Marketing*Education* Lakeville,*Minn.*
Alex*Bisch* Minnesota* Gr.* Kinesiology* Northfield,*Minn.*
Joe*Bjorklund* Minnesota* Jr.* Business*And*Marketing*Education* Rosemount,*Minn.*
Briean*Boddy‐Calhoun* Minnesota* Jr.* Elementary*Education* Wilmington,*Del.*
Cameron*Botticelli* Minnesota* Sr.* Political*Science* Milwaukee,*Wis.*
Foster*Bush* Minnesota* Sr.* Kinesiology* Menasha,*Wis.*
Jon*Christenson* Minnesota* Sr.* Biochemistry* Minnetonka,*Minn.*
Derrick*Engel* Minnesota* Sr.* Business*And*Marketing*Education* Chaska,*Minn.*
Jake*Filkins* Minnesota* Gr.* Innovation*Studies*(certificate)* Prescott,*Wis.*
Isaac*Fruechte* Minnesota* Sr.* Recreation,*Park*And*Leisure*
Studies* Caledonia,*Minn.*
Drew*Goodger* Minnesota* Jr.* Business*And*Marketing*Education* Shawnee*Mission,*Kan.*
Chris*Hawthorne* Minnesota* Sr.* Business*And*Marketing*Education* Raleigh,*N.C.*
Ernie*Heifort* Minnesota* Jr.* Sport*Management* Bemidji,*Minn.*
Mike*Henry* Minnesota* Gr.* Addiction*Studies*(certificate)* Mahtomedi,*Minn.*
Aaron*Hill* Minnesota* Gr.* Applied*Kinesiology* St.*Charles,*Mo.*
Marcus*Jones* Minnesota* Sr.* Kinesiology* Wake*Forest,*N.C.*
Victor*Keise* Minnesota* Gr.* Applied*Kinesiology* Coral*Springs,*Fla.*
Ben*Lauer* Minnesota* So.* Engineering* Plymouth,*Minn.*
Mitch*Leidner* Minnesota* So.* Undeclared* Lakeville,*Minn.*
Grayson*Levine* Minnesota* Jr.* Marketing* Eden*Prairie,*Minn.*
Jephte*Matilus* Minnesota* Jr.* Communication*Studies* Delray*Beach,*Fla.*
KJ*Maye* Minnesota* So.* Undeclared* Mobile,*Ala.*
Gabe*Mezzenga* Minnesota* Sr.* Finance* Shoreview,*Minn.*
Peter*Mortell* Minnesota* Jr.* Marketing* Green*Bay,*Wis.*
Philip*Nelson* Minnesota* So.* Undeclared* Mankato,*Minn.*
Ed*Olson* Minnesota* Gr.* Addiction*Studies*(certificate)* Mahtomedi,*Minn.*
Tommy*Olson* Minnesota* Jr.* Communication*Studies* Mahtomedi,*Minn.*
Jonah*Pirsig* Minnesota* So.* Undeclared* Blue*Earth,*Minn.*

For those of you that are too lazy to click a couple times....

Michael*Amaefula* Minnesota* Jr.* Physiology* Arlington,*Texas*
Cole*Banham* Minnesota* Sr.* Business*And*Marketing*Education* Lakeville,*Minn.*
Alex*Bisch* Minnesota* Gr.* Kinesiology* Northfield,*Minn.*
Joe*Bjorklund* Minnesota* Jr.* Business*And*Marketing*Education* Rosemount,*Minn.*
Briean*Boddy‐Calhoun* Minnesota* Jr.* Elementary*Education* Wilmington,*Del.*
Cameron*Botticelli* Minnesota* Sr.* Political*Science* Milwaukee,*Wis.*
Foster*Bush* Minnesota* Sr.* Kinesiology* Menasha,*Wis.*
Jon*Christenson* Minnesota* Sr.* Biochemistry* Minnetonka,*Minn.*
Derrick*Engel* Minnesota* Sr.* Business*And*Marketing*Education* Chaska,*Minn.*
Jake*Filkins* Minnesota* Gr.* Innovation*Studies*(certificate)* Prescott,*Wis.*
Isaac*Fruechte* Minnesota* Sr.* Recreation,*Park*And*Leisure*
Studies* Caledonia,*Minn.*
Drew*Goodger* Minnesota* Jr.* Business*And*Marketing*Education* Shawnee*Mission,*Kan.*
Chris*Hawthorne* Minnesota* Sr.* Business*And*Marketing*Education* Raleigh,*N.C.*
Ernie*Heifort* Minnesota* Jr.* Sport*Management* Bemidji,*Minn.*
Mike*Henry* Minnesota* Gr.* Addiction*Studies*(certificate)* Mahtomedi,*Minn.*
Aaron*Hill* Minnesota* Gr.* Applied*Kinesiology* St.*Charles,*Mo.*
Marcus*Jones* Minnesota* Sr.* Kinesiology* Wake*Forest,*N.C.*
Victor*Keise* Minnesota* Gr.* Applied*Kinesiology* Coral*Springs,*Fla.*
Ben*Lauer* Minnesota* So.* Engineering* Plymouth,*Minn.*
Mitch*Leidner* Minnesota* So.* Undeclared* Lakeville,*Minn.*
Grayson*Levine* Minnesota* Jr.* Marketing* Eden*Prairie,*Minn.*
Jephte*Matilus* Minnesota* Jr.* Communication*Studies* Delray*Beach,*Fla.*
KJ*Maye* Minnesota* So.* Undeclared* Mobile,*Ala.*
Gabe*Mezzenga* Minnesota* Sr.* Finance* Shoreview,*Minn.*
Peter*Mortell* Minnesota* Jr.* Marketing* Green*Bay,*Wis.*
Philip*Nelson* Minnesota* So.* Undeclared* Mankato,*Minn.*
Ed*Olson* Minnesota* Gr.* Addiction*Studies*(certificate)* Mahtomedi,*Minn.*
Tommy*Olson* Minnesota* Jr.* Communication*Studies* Mahtomedi,*Minn.*
Jonah*Pirsig* Minnesota* So.* Undeclared* Blue*Earth,*Minn.*

A lot of significant contributors on our list. If the B1G had a tournament featuring only academic all-B1G players, I'd really like our chances. Congrats to Coach Kill and of course all of the players on this list. Let's see if we can jump Northwestern next year (a lot of Kill recruits are freshmen who aren't yet eligible because they are still in their first year at the U).

Congrats to these fine young men! Good luck in your future careers!

Top Bottom