Gophers v Badgers and Fanhood

kellyleeks

GH Hall of Fame '10
Reaction score
Can a true Gopher fan be a fan of both the Gophers and Badgers?

I'm a fan of both teams. I suppose that disqualifies me as a 'true Gopher fan', because I root for their opponent once a year. So I'd say no.

But I'm still a fan, have season tickets, donate to U athletics, and like coming here to talk Gopher football.

With both teams being good and now playing at the end of the year this may become increasingly untenable.

Sure. Imagine you're Phillip Nelson's dad. You played for Wisconsin, and you'll always have that loyalty, but your son plays for the Gophers. You're obviously a fan of both teams.

You can like a bunch of teams. You can follow those teams. You can hope they all win. You can be a "fan" of all those teams. When they play head-to-head the one you cheer for then is the one that you're a "true fan" of.

Unless you're using "fan" as short for "fanatic".

Then no, you can't.

My parents are fans of both. Both schools have a lot of their money.

In the macro sense, absolutely not. I would qualify that with the fact that I respect the living daylights out of a bunch of their players past, present, and likely into the future.. But I have no time for the Badgers writ large and their insufferable fan base. If Satan and his minions were lining up against them in the Wiccan Bowl, I might flip a coin to determine which team I preferred. At first blush, it would be Beelzebub all the way!

31135319.jpg

As a Madisonian and Gopher alum: NO! You gotta pick one or the other. Either you cheer for your hometown/state school or you cheer for your alma mater. And **** anyone that wears those stupid half/half jerseys.

What a silly question. Even the thought of Wisconsin makes me want to wash my hands.

I'm a bit of a hybrid in that I root for all MN teams except for the Vikings. I grew up in a Packers household and thus bleed Green and Gold. While I do root for the Pack, there is no way in hell I would root for the BADgers.

No

Absolutely not, I would rather have a root canal done than cheer for the Badgers. They have achieved elite level
legendary hate status after that guy cursing out Gopher fans when we were leaving TCF stadium this year. For me the level of rival dislike status is this by a lot, I even dislike the city of Madison now.
1,000 times. WISCONSIN BADGERS

And to be honest I don't really dislike Iowa and Nebraska that much.
2. Iowa

3. Nebraska

I suppose that can be allowed if you are married to a Badger,

I would say no in most situations. In the marriage context, I wouldn't allow it. I'd be a fan of one, she'd be a fan of the other. I'd sleep on the couch after rubbing it in for hours following the Penn State game. The only exceptions I'd see are the one discussed earlier (your alma mater but a relative/close friend plays for the other team) or someone who did their undergrad at one and grad school at another. I personally couldn't do it. I am almost done wrapping up my JD/MBA at the U. When I applied to law and business programs, I applied to several large state institutions in different parts of the country (UT-Austin, ASU, University of Washington). However, I refused to apply to any WCHA or Big Ten schools, even though there were some good ones in cities I was interested in. Just couldn't stomach it.

Easy answer for me, the answer is always NO. During bowl season I want the B1G to win games......I want everyone to win EXCEPT wisconsin.

The only time I pull for WI or IA is in bowl gamesome the sake of the conference. That became hard to do for WI over the last 5-10 years.

Nope.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zSXV0KR4PWY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another parallel situation:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mWjDYz2ldN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Actually the above situation is not parallel because he really was his father, but you get the idea.

Growing up in a town near Madison, I was always was a big badger fan. Once I started looking at colleges, it was between wisconsin and Minnesota. I realized how much better Minnesota is (obviously) and started the conversion halfway through my senior year in high school. It took a while to let go of everything I liked about wisconsin though. It got easier once I was actually in Minneapolis and went to the football, hockey, and basketball games. During my freshman year, I realized it was impossible to like both Minnesota and wisconsin (when they weren't playing the gophers). There is too much of a rivalry between the schools. In Minnesota, there is a ton of trash talk about wisconsin and in wisconsin, there is a ton of trash talk against Minnesota. It felt like I had a split personality when cheering all out for the gophers but then also liking a team that we have so many cheers against. Better dead than Red, Buck the Fadgers, and making fun of Bo Ryan. At the start of my sophmore year at the U, I realized I just want the badgers to lose no matter who they are playing. So no, I do not believe you can be a true Gopher fan if you cheer for wisconsin as well

I am a diehard Gopher fan and cheer for whatever benefits the Gophers, and hence, if Wisconsin winning a game helps the Gophers, then I want what is best for the Gophers even if means cheering for Wisconsin, but its got to be something important, not just some minor little benefit, because if its only a minor benefit, and it won't hurt the Gophers too much if they lose, then I thoroughly enjoy when the circumstances allow me to cheer against the BADgers!!!

And I don't agree that being married to a Badger fan is a good enough excuse. It has to be a VERY close relative. Cousins? No! A neice or nephew or brother or son or daughter or grandson or granddaughter. And even then, when they play the Gophers I still think the majority of the time you still have to cheer for the Gophers to win. If they were good enough to go somewhere else, somewhere that plays the Gophers, then its a good chance they turned down the chance to play for the Gophers, so too bad. They should have played for the home team if they wanted their family to cheer for them every single time they played. And if they, out of all the schools in the country, chose to go play for Wisconsin, over the Gophers, then maybe they got switched at birth and aren't really your kin?! That person is probably a Russian Communist plant. Disown them!!!

lol

Top Bottom