Nebraska fans on Georgia rematch: Been there, done that

GopherLady

Reaction score
Justin Gaard just tweeted this link:

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/neb-fans-georgia-rematch-been-there-done

The Gator Bowl appears to be a tough sell to Nebraska fans.

A season that fell short of expectations will end New Year's Day in Jacksonville, Fla., with a game against No. 23 Georgia, the same team that beat the Cornhuskers a year ago in the Capital One Bowl.

The matchup has elicited little more than a shrug.

"Everybody is looking forward to next year," said Steve Glenn, a walk-on offensive lineman for the Huskers in the 1970s who now runs a Lincoln travel agency. "I think people are ready to be done with this season."

Glenn is selling a Gator Bowl package that includes a 137-seat charter flight. As of Tuesday, he said, fewer than a dozen seats had been filled.

Is it too late to see if they would switch with us?

Gotta say, I'd feel a little vindicated seeing a total lack of interest from Nebraska fans after the Gator Bowl decided that a rematch of one of last year's bowl games, featuring two likely disappointed fan bases after their teams did worse than they expected this year, was better than taking the Gophers.

Here's what fries my ass. The U sent out a bowl survey on what bowl you would travel too.Lou
Nanne said they had 11,000 positives for the Gator Bowl and it went on deaf ears to the committee. Our group would've brought a dozen for the trip. The cheapest flights for the Texas Bowl were flying out Christmas day I believe
440.00 RT. Those tickets are long gone. We will buy tickets this year and donate and I hope other Gopher fans will do the same.

Yeah, we saw last year how well Nebraska travels when they 1. Feel the game is "beneath" them. 2. Hate their Coach.

Two other things though. 1. Nebraska finished AHEAD of the Gopher in the Big Ten standings. 2. Nebraska/Georgia still is a better TV draw than Minnesota/Georgia.

Why or why couldn't we complete more passes against Wisconsin or Michigan State? :mad:

Yeah, we saw last year how well Nebraska travels when they 1. Feel the game is "beneath" them. 2. Hate their Coach.

Two other things though. 1. Nebraska finished AHEAD of the Gopher in the Big Ten standings. 2. Nebraska/Georgia still is a better TV draw than Minnesota/Georgia.

Why or why couldn't we complete more passes against Wisconsin or Michigan State? :mad:

you can't necessarily prove that at this point. big factor in TV ratings is if this game is competitive. considering it's Georgia by 9 without Murray, I'm guessing most folks will tune this one out as being a non-factor full of sloppy football and a potential blowout in the makings if Gurley goes off

you can't necessarily prove that at this point. big factor in TV ratings is if this game is competitive. considering it's Georgia by 9 without Murray, I'm guessing most folks will tune this one out as being a non-factor full of sloppy football and a potential blowout in the makings if Gurley goes off

Good points, though arguing that more people would tune-in at the start of a GA/MN game rather than a GA/NE game might fly in the face of previous experience. The problem is many people who saw the Gophers play their last two games wouldn't watch in the first place.

Something tells me the Gator Bowl already knew this would be the case but still preferred Nebraska over Minnesota.

Minnesota finished ahead of Michigan in the Big Ten, but that didn't seem to matter. And is Nebraska/Georgia still a better matchup even though it's a rematch of last year?

Originally Posted by Iceland12 View Post

Why or why couldn't we complete more passes against Wisconsin or Michigan State?

Minnesota finished ahead of Michigan in the Big Ten, but that didn't seem to matter. And is Nebraska/Georgia still a better matchup even though it's a rematch of last year?

Yes they did, so you think that because of that the Gator Bowl should have taken the Gophers over Nebraska or that you're mad that they didn't take the Gophers either? Blame the Gophers Passing Game in either case.

The NE/GA vs. MN/GA argument that more people will tune-in to see MN/GA then NE/GA because they played last year, no and can't say that most people around the country even know that they played.

Before the selections, made the argument that counting on a whole lot of Michigan or Nebraska fans traveling to any "minor" bowl after they expected much better seasons was a bad gamble. Adding in the disdain/hatred that so many of their fans had for their Head Coaches and it was a fool's longshot at best.

Maybe with the performance against tOSU coupled with Phoenix and the tens of thousands of Michiganders that live in AZ, the BWW were taking a lesser risk. The problem for us either way, is that either team is a better draw for TV viewers than the Gopher team that played those last two games.

Hope and pray that the Gophers have a better season next year and with the B1G better control of Bowls they get a good one.

Either way, unless they go to the Rose Bowl or National Championship Tourney we will have plenty of people complaining that we got screwed.

Strike that, we'll have complainers either way.

I have no problem with Nebraska getting a better draw than us, their 5-3 record beats our 4-4 record. I understand the frustration when we got hosed because we don't travel well, and then we don't see Nebraska get hosed for the same thing. My problem is with Michigan jumping us, not with us not jumping Nebraska.

Before the selections, made the argument that counting on a whole lot of Michigan or Nebraska fans traveling to any "minor" bowl after they expected much better seasons was a bad gamble. Adding in the disdain/hatred that so many of their fans had for their Head Coaches and it was a fool's longshot at best.

Maybe with the performance against tOSU coupled with Phoenix and the tens of thousands of Michiganders that live in AZ, the BWW were taking a lesser risk. The problem for us either way, is that either team is a better draw for TV viewers than the Gopher team that played those last two games.

Hope and pray that the Gophers have a better season next year and with the B1G better control of Bowls they get a good one.

Either way, unless they go to the Rose Bowl or National Championship Tourney we will have plenty of people complaining that we got screwed.

Strike that, we'll have complainers either way.

Not on GopherHole you won't!!!

You are having a tough time getting over that, aren't you?

Here's what fries my ass. The U sent out a bowl survey on what bowl you would travel too.Lou
Nanne said they had 11,000 positives for the Gator Bowl and it went on deaf ears to the committee
. Our group would've brought a dozen for the trip. The cheapest flights for the Texas Bowl were flying out Christmas day I believe
440.00 RT. Those tickets are long gone. We will buy tickets this year and donate and I hope other Gopher fans will do the same.

Survey means nothing. Unless Minnesota could guarantee 11,000 positives meant half or more of those people actually would show up maybe that wouldn't have fallen on deaf ears.

You are having a tough time getting over that, aren't you?

Yeah, after watching all other facets of the team get better, Defense, Passing Game, Kick Coverage, Kicking, Punting, Running Game, Coaching etc.; it was hard to watch a Passing Game that still looked so bad. The "nightmare" would be losing to the Orange because we can't complete a Pass.

Oh and in Bowl Threads, reading people blaming the system and ignoring the fact/possibility that the lack of a Passing game alone cost them the Wisconsin and MSU games, maybe the Iowa game too.

We wouldn't have to have all the whining about Bowl Placement if the Gophs were 10-2. Okay we are who we are, but we wouldn't have to read as MUCH whining at least. :eek:

Maybe this is the "homer" in me, but I'd say we have a couple of advantages over Nebraska. It appears we would have sent more fans in person.

And as far as TV viewership, the whole Minnesota story has a real feel good story to it. A lot of college football fans already know about it, but they could also sell the story in advertising it. On the flip side, even though NE was 5-3, the perception is it's a down year and questions surrounding the coach's future. Lastly, we have a much bigger TV market.

Maybe this is the "homer" in me, but I'd say we have a couple of advantages over Nebraska. It appears we would have sent more fans in person.

And as far as TV viewership, the whole Minnesota story has a real feel good story to it. A lot of college football fans already know about it, but they could also sell the story in advertising it. On the flip side, even though NE was 5-3, the perception is it's a down year and questions surrounding the coach's future. Lastly, we have a much bigger TV market.

It's the homer in you.

Top Bottom