Washington Post: Heisman Trophy Tales - Where Every Winner Keeps His Trophy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
A pretty interesting read, compiled by the Washington Post on where each winner keeps his prized possession:

1941 Bruce Smith
University of Minnesota

Trophy location:
Los Angeles

Gary Cypres, a Los Angeles businessman who bought Smith's Heisman at an auction for $395,240, says it's still at his Sports Museum of Los Angeles, a 32,000-square-foot exhibit that displays a huge collection of memorabilia but is open to visits by appointment only.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/sports/heisman-tracker/

Go Gophers!!

A pretty interesting read, compiled by the Washington Post on where each winner keeps his prized possession:

1941 Bruce Smith
University of Minnesota

Trophy location:
Los Angeles

Gary Cypres, a Los Angeles businessman who bought Smith's Heisman at an auction for $395,240, says it's still at his Sports Museum of Los Angeles, a 32,000-square-foot exhibit that displays a huge collection of memorabilia but is open to visits by appointment only.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/sports/heisman-tracker/

Go Gophers!!

I held that one a few times and yes it really was used as a door stop.

Does anyone know if his family sold it after he died? It's too bad it isn't at the U Hall of Fame.

Does anyone know if his family sold it after he died? It's too bad it isn't at the U Hall of Fame.

Bruce died in 1967 if I remember correctly. The family sold it maybe 10-15 years ago.

There is a replica presented by the family to the U. Not sure exactly where it is.

It was sold in 2005, long after Bruce had passed (1967) by his widow. The family was behind the sale - sort of felt they had kept it long enough (60+ years). I thought I read somewhere that as a result of the Charles White trophy auction, all subsequent winners must now sign an agreement saying they cannot sell the trophy - making auctions as Smith's increasingly rare. And doesn't Minnesota have a full size replica of Smith's Heisman?

It was sold in 2005, long after Bruce had passed (1967) by his widow. The family was behind the sale - sort of felt they had kept it long enough (60+ years). I thought I read somewhere that as a result of the Charles White trophy auction, all subsequent winners must now sign an agreement saying they cannot sell the trophy - making auctions as Smith's increasingly rare. And doesn't Minnesota have a full size replica of Smith's Heisman?

Yes, it's in the trophy case at Bierman. I've held it.

The replica of Bruce Smith's Heisman also makes an annual appearance at the State Fair.

Interesting read. I'm within a three-hour drive of nine Heismans and six replicas, including being a five minute walk to two replicas and a five minute drive to a real trophy.

you can track it

from 1936 til today you can chart the rise of southern domination in collegiate football. feel free to read the opposite within my statement.

Very interesting read! Thanks for posting, Bleed!

This was a really cool article, great read. Loved the story about George Rogers (SCar) and how he takes his trophy to every home game and lets anybody who wants to handle it for a picture do so (drunk or otherwise), for $5 that goes to charity. The trophy is all dinged up as a result, but I love the idea of this.

Top Bottom