Questions from a Syracuse fan

rawphenomenon

Reaction score
Hello Gopher friends!

Just thought I'd open up some dialogue with some questions and comments I have for you guys. I'm excited about the game and we as a fan base are really pleased with the opponent. I know you guys are disappointed in the bowl venue and the matchup but take solace in the fact that another team is thrilled for an opportunity to play you guys. I can tell you that it's better than the other way around.

#1) Tell me about your team. I unfortunately haven't seen much of your team this year. Harder to catch them since I don't get the Big Ten Network. I saw them a lot when I lived in Iowa a few years back. I know that traditionally, you guys have always had a stable of great running backs. I remember cheering for you guys back when you had Maroney and Barber splitting snaps. Fun team to watch.

As far as our team, our savior of a coach, Doug Marrone, led us back from obscurity only to leave us for the NFL. We were coming out of the worst stretch in our entire history. We graduated our entire offense from last year and have struggled this year. We had one of the top 2-3 backs in the ACC this year but he seems to have been black-balled by the OC for some reason. The OC is new and he is supposed to be a recruiting guru. I think that he has went away from the rather boring but effective power run game to try to impress potential recruits, and it has hurt. He also has our stud running back splitting carries with 3 other guys. Our receivers couldn't get separation from talented cornerbacks all season long, so if you guys have good ones, our passing game is in trouble. Our QB is a surprisingly adept runner for being very slow (probably about a 4.8-4.9 forty time): he had 90 yards on the ground against BC and NC State. Our offensive line is solid, but they have a penchant for false starts.

On defense, we love to sell out on blitzes. If we show blitz, we are blitzing. I've never seen them call one off or fake one. We have a tendency to bring the house on every play. Teams that have burners like Clemson and Florida State, punish us with their speed against the ensuing man coverage on the outside. I hope you guys don't have burners. I am still recovering from Eric Decker and his 42 catches and 500 yards (eyeball estimates) he picked up that one day in the Carrier Dome. Our guys like to hit hard too. We injured Wake's top player Campanero. We injured BC's top player Williams. We even injured Clemson's top player in Sammy Watkins. They sell out for the big hit. This leads to teams being shell-shocked (Maryland, NC State, Wake) and it also leads to many missed tackles (Georgia Tech, Florida State, Clemson). Our corners are dependable. Our best one got injured for season earlier in the year. Our second best one replaced him but had some strange esophageal injury in the Florida State game where he was coughing up heaps of blood. Our safeties like hitting hard but are undisciplined as one could possibly be. We had 2 weeks to prepare for Clemson and I want to say that their first 6 plays had 5 blown coverages. Our guys bite on playaction like nobody's business.

Also worth noting, we commit a ton of penalties. I don't know how much of that is a "Welcome Yankee" from the ACC refs and how much is legit. Syracuse fans do complain about the refs though, so don't be surprised if you see that

#2) Syracuse and Minnesota used to be kindred spirits, along with Tulane and a few others who had domed stadiums. I remember being in Minneapolis back in the summer of 2009 and there was quite a bit of buzz around town about it. How do you guys like it? What would you change? Do you miss your dome?

The reason I ask is that a lot of Syracuse fans want the Dome gone. I don't know why, especially considering what we saw with the Lions-Eagles game this past weekend. Syracuse is the snowiest city in America. The Dome nullifies that little fact. It's got great sight lines all around and is somewhat iconic. People around here seem to think if we had an open air stadium that all our problems would be solved and the gridiron messiah would waltz through the doors. So since you guys have lived it, what do you think?

#3) How about that Rutgers team?

During our time in the Big East, I dare say that there was another team that we held in higher contempt. Their coach Schiano played dirty (victory formation knee dives). Their fan base was unbearable. Although to be fair, we reciprocated when we could. What are your thoughts about adding them? They bring nothing to the table in any sport whatsoever. And setting foot in Jersey just makes me feel dirty.

How about Maryland?

#4) How do you feel about your chances after the Big Ten division realignment occurs? From initial glance, it appears that your road gets much easier to the championship game. You get rid of Michigan State and Michigan, and pick up Purdue, Wisconsin, and Indiana. I would think that favors you immensely. If you guys do a permanent crossover opponent, maybe you lobby to get Rutgers.

A lot of our fans are clamoring for an ACC division realignment with all the Northern schools in a division and all the Southern schools in another one. You could name the divisions Union and Confederacy and then have the championship game be called The Civil War. I think that would be cool. Although Swofford would never allow that as that would merely be a reconstitution of the old Big East and the old ACC; an association rather than an integration.

On that note, any of you history buffs? Back when we were in the Big East, I would always say that the conferences represented the theaters in the Civil War. The Big East (New York, Pennsylvania, New England) locked in an even battle with the ACC (Virginia, Carolinas, Georgia). The Big Ten (The Midwest with Sherman and Grant) rolling over the SEC (Vicksburg campaign, etc.) before turning East and ending the war. Kind of nerdy but it fits.

#5) Who is your biggest rival? I always thought it was Wisky but when I lived in Iowa, it seemed like it was Iowa. Now I'm hearing stuff about Nebraska.

#6) In your opinion, who has the worst fan base in the Big Ten? My guess would be Ohio State, although that mantle will be lost when Jersey State joins.

#7) How is Kill doing? I remember seeing the headlines about him earlier in the year but nothing since. This seems to keep happening with him. Is he going to be alright?

#8) I made this post 4 days before the bowl was announced. It was a bittersweet announcement that we were invited to the Texas Bowl

#9) I met my lady five years ago in Minneapolis. We have been together since and now have 3 little ones. :)

Welcome! Should be a good game.

#1) Tell me about your team.

We aren't quite in Maroney/Barber territory, but we want to run and have dominated a few games this year.

We have a Sophmore quarterback (Nelson) who has split about 20% (a guess) of his snaps with a RS Freshman. He had a four game stretch (our four B1G wins) where he was unconscious. But when he's "off", it's pretty bad. Tends to sail the ball. Routinely misses open receivers. Both of them can run.

Passing is our weakness.

There is a great chance that we win time of possession. We have been 10:00+ on several games.

We are disciplined.

We sustain drives.

We have no real playmakers on offense. We have a 1000+ back (Cobb) that gets it the hard way and has some shiftiness. No real break-
away speed though.

Stud Freshman TE in Maxx Williams #88. He will play on Sundays.

Defense is sold. Gives up yards, but held Wisconsin and Michigan State to under their averages.

Hageman #99 DE is a beast. He will probably destroy a few of your lineman. Sorry.

#2)Do you miss your dome?
No. That place was a dumpster fire - and most would agree.

#5) Who is your biggest rival?
Either Wisconsin or Iowa, depends on who we are playing. Wisconsin has had our number for 10 years. We have trophy games with Michigan (completely lopsided over the last 30+ years) and Penn State (fabricated so it doesn't "feel" like a rivalry). Definitely not Nebraska - not sure who told you that.

#6) In your opinion, who has the worst fan base in the Big Ten?
Tie between Wisconsin and Iowa.

#7) How is Kill doing?
Seems to be doing ok. Has been in the press box for 6 games. Probably more involved than the media and sportscasters give him credit for. But our interim coach deserves a heck of a lot of credit.

Welcome! Heck of a post. I'll try to respond with what I can.

#1) Tell me about your team.

Extremely brief, we like to run the ball. A lot. You will also see us motion pre-snap more than any team you've played this year. Our line is good, backs are solid and put in a lot of effort, and QB play is usually efficient if unspectacular. Our wide receivers leave something to be desired, but they are mostly young and the extra practice could be most beneficial to them (particularly with our leading receiver out for the year).

Defensively, watch #99 Hageman on the defensive line. He will be playing on Sundays, and very easily could dominate on Sundays. A true "beast." Linebackers make plays.

Interesting point about your penalties - we're basically the exact opposite, very disciplined, having committed 49 penalties in 12 games (compared to your 90 in 12 games).

#2) Syracuse and Minnesota used to be kindred spirits, along with Tulane and a few others who had domed stadiums. I remember being in Minneapolis back in the summer of 2009 and there was quite a bit of buzz around town about it. How do you guys like it? What would you change? Do you miss your dome?

We love it. There are few things I personally would change - better concessions, more fans in the seats - but overall, it is everything I dreamed of. Haven't thought about the dome in about 3 years. It's awesome.

#3) How about that Rutgers team?

How about Maryland?

Quite frankly I don't think many of us care. They are so far away and we have no history against them. Maybe in 20 years we'll give a damn....

#4) How do you feel about your chances after the Big Ten division realignment occurs?

Definitely it improves. Wisconsin is a tough road block, but beyond them, no team in the West division scares me as a consistent threat. Sure, Nebraska is a name, but they haven't been good recently. In a good year for us, we should be competing for the West division title.

For most, it's Wisconsin. Iowa is sort of rival 1A, while Nebraska is further down the list. I'd say Michigan is probably a bigger rival than Nebraska, except we basically never beat them.

#6) In your opinion, who has the worst fan base in the Big Ten?

Wisconsin.

#7) How is Kill doing?

He's doing OK. Managing his health better, it seems. He has been coaching from the booth but apparently changing a lot about his routine and, it sounds like, doing better with respect to his epilepsy. He has dealt with the disease for a long time, he will be OK.

Great thread. I could not have described our pesky Gophers any better. SKI U MAH! And, I hope your squad has a nice game too cusefan!

needmorecowbell, great username!!

to the op, great post.

wisconsin, hands down.

To add to the previous answers about our team, Nelson our quarterback, struggled after opposing teams started to take away his safety blanket in Engel even before he tore up his knee. There are three young receivers, Jones, Wolitarsky, and Williams that have shown some ability but things aren't quite there yet. If Nelson can get it going with one or more of those guys it'll be very hard to stop our offense.
On defense we are very good against the pass with Murrray at corner capable of taking your best receiver out of the game.

I would not say our QB play is usually efficient, and it definitely has not been spectacular. It's been mediocre to bad against good defenses. We haven't scored an offensive touchdown in 2.5 games straight. If you stop the run, we are in trouble. But I think we we'll run the ball enough to control the clock and hit big on play action.

I would not say our QB play is usually efficient, and it definitely has not been spectacular. It's been mediocre to bad against good defenses. We haven't scored an offensive touchdown in 2.5 games straight. If you stop the run, we are in trouble. But I think we we'll run the ball enough to control the clock and hit big on play action.

Sorry, didn't word that well - meant to say we're not spectacular at QB, but we have had stretches of efficiency. Nelson during our winning streak was above 140 rating each week. We got manhandled by Wisconsin and MSU but those are two top-10 defenses. Also, very few interceptions from Philip - no INTs in five of seven conference games.

Sorry, didn't word that well - meant to say we're not spectacular at QB, but we have had stretches of efficiency. Nelson during our winning streak was above 140 rating each week. We got manhandled by Wisconsin and MSU but those are two top-10 defenses. Also, very few interceptions from Philip - no INTs in five of seven conference games.

Haha. That makes more sense. Id agree with all of that. He can be efficient, but he also misses on some must make throws.

What you need to know about us...

a) We are a running-team. Our thousand yard rusher David Cobb could be (likely is) the best RB you've faced yet this season! Could be the first to rush for 100+ on you guys.

b) If you're secondary plays even mediocre our QB Phillip Nelson likely won't beat your defense.

c) Our freshman WR Donovahn Jones does everything. He's super athletic, and is killer on the end-around, along with good speed and a great vertical. Max Williams, our TE catches anything thrown (accurately) at him down the middle of the field, and that's where he makes his money.

d) DE Rashede Hageman, #99, should better acclimate your QB with the turf by the end of the night. I wouldn't expect this to be one of his off-games.

e) If your QB throws to the corner of the field/enzone, Cuse will end up drawing pass interference or catching an uncontested pass. Why? Our DBs don't know how to turn and play the ball.

a) We are a running-team. Our thousand yard rusher David Cobb could be (likely is) the best RB you've faced yet this season! Could be the first to rush for 100+ on you guys.

Sorry, need to jump in on this one ... Andre Williams from BC is miles and miles better than David Cobb. Nothing against Cobb, it's just that Williams is insanely good.

Thank you for your post, rawphenomenon. I always like getting to know our opponents' programs better.

#1: I know you guys have a decent run defense, but our back just got 100 yards on the road against Michigan State, so I doubt you'll stop our running game. However, if you slow it down well enough, you have a good shot at keeping our score low because of our lack of playmakers at receiver. Speaking of receivers, ours are all young. They have talent, and you'll see flashes of it, but so far that's what it has been - flashes. Our QB excels when our run game is clicking and can play action pass/run himself. We were passing the ball pretty well during our latest 4 game win streak, but once our top receiver tore his ACL and we ran into Wisconsin and MSU, our passing game struggled terribly, as it did against Iowa earlier in the year. Those are three top 10 defenses, though. Our defense is legit; with the offensive struggles you guys have had, I'd be shocked if you get past 21 points. Our special teams are above average, as well, though nothing truly spectacular. We play hard, and we play physical (yet disciplined). I doubt your hard hitting will rattle us after going toe-to-toe with Wisconsin and Michigan State. That's really how I would describe us: a physical, disciplined team but lacking star power to put us over the top.

#2: No! I think your dome might be a better situation than sharing the Metrodome with the Vikings and Twins, but TCF Bank is a dream come true.

#3: Personally, I understand the business decision to gain two more teams, but I feel like adding Maryland and Rutgers dilutes the Big Ten, especially in football. Don't really have a strong opinion about either school other than that, though it will be nice to have Maryland basketball.

#4: We're thrilled about the realignment. Wisconsin and us could have some serious, nationally significant battles in the coming years, which will be crazy intense, because that rivalry has been one-sided for the past twenty years and is still venemous.

#5: Depends who you ask. Some will say Iowa, some Wisconsin. Really 1a, 1b, but I would guess a majority would say Wisconsin.

#6: Wisconsin or Iowa for different reasons. Both horrible, though.

#7: It seems like Kill is doing great, thanks for asking. The tough thing with epilepsy is you can't know for sure, though.

#9: Congratulations!

Yeah, Williams from BC had 2000 yards this season.

Crash course on the Gophs (I numbered these to breakup my writing, the numbers have no correlation to your question numbers):
1) Our defense seems to have a bend don't break mentality going on. Some teams have put up some yards against us, but we have been good in the red zone and pretty good against generating turnovers. In three of our four losses, I would say the defense gave us a good shot to win. In two of those cases, they were on the field for about 55 minutes (exaggerated) and still held us in there. If you are looking for a way to beat our defense, underthrow your receivers when they are in man-to-man coverage. Our secondary face guards like mad, if it is a good throw, we will in position to knock it out of your hands the second the ball hits them. If it is an underthrown ball that the receiver comes back on, he will get run over by our back who will have never turned back to look for the ball, and you will get a free first down via a penalty flag.

2) Our offense is wildly inconsistent. In the last 6 games, for the most part, we've been able to get our run games going. Cobb has been a beast, but I really feel like it has been a team effort with pretty good blocking by the line and the receivers and our various H-Backs/Tight Ends. We roll those same H-Backs/Tight Ends in various receiving routes to really open up the options. We are generally able to get plenty of open receivers, despite not having any really polished, high-end talent at the position. When Nelson hits those open receivers and they don't drop the ball, we become a team that can beat you pretty much however we want to. When Nelson misses those open receivers and they drop the throws he does make, we become a team that goes 10 quarters without an offensive touchdown. Fortunately for our opponents, we seem to go through stretches every game where that happens.

3) Special teams have been pretty good.

4) I know its cliche, but I think we have a well-coached, team effort kind of team. With the exception of Shede (our big nose-tackle who will lead the Vikings to the Super Bowl next year), we don't have a lot of star talent (at least not much that is playing with a developed, polished game). I feel like if you were to watch game tape that is just isolated on any one player not named Hageman, then you would see what feels like a solid but not great performance. Where we beat you is that we seem to consistently have 11 guys on the field who know what they are supposed to be doing, and executing properly (save for the bad throws/drops).

5) I have watched every home game live and every road game on the TV, so I don't generally don't check the boxscores afterwards. What I described was my perception based on watching the games, and it is entirely possibly that the statistics don't bear out what I felt like I was seeing. If that is the case, believe the stats over me (not just because they are stats, but because I am a hockey fan who only pretends to understand football).

I don't know about Cobb being the best back you've faced but after reading one of your message boards I'd bet very few posters have any idea he rushed for over 100 at Michigan State. We run to set up the pass. Nelson has been just o.k. At times he shows flashes in the passing game and other times he soils himself in big situations. However he is an above average running QB. The WR position is a big concern for us with injuries, lack of talent, youth and lack of depth.

Defense has been solid overall, and I've seen improvement in the run d after being gashed pretty good vs. Nebraska and Penn State.

In my opinion everything changed for our team after the Michigan blowout. Many including myself were wondering where we would find a single B1G win on the remaining schedule. I think we've been underdogs in every game except a slight favorite at home vs. PSU. FWIW, Minnesota has been a great Vegas play covering every game since Michigan and I believe the line opened at -4.5. This team has a different feel. In past years we would have gotten blown out against good Wisky and MSU teams. This year our defense held their own while the offense sputtered. If Nelson can use his TE's like he did during our winning streak and prevent turnovers, I feel like it will be a tough day for the Orange.

1) About us- Trying to bring up things others haven't. Our redzone efficiency both offensively and defensively is something that seems to get overlooked. We're very good in the redzone. Hard to stop us there when we have it, and real tough to get in the endzone when we're defending. We do a ton of shifting offensively, you'll probably think our offense looks a little goofy. We're going to run jet sweep probably more than any other team you've played, and we'll fake it a lot as well. Nelson usually throws a pretty good ball when rolling out (either direction) and sells play-action very well, look for a lot of both. He can actually be really efficient and really good if he gets comfortable and gets in a rhythm. If he does, it most likely means we're also effective in the running game, and if that's the case I don't see us losing. The last thing you should know for sure is that from the Nebraska game forward, every team we've played talks about our physicality before anything else in the post game. Michigan State's staff and players thought we were the most physical team they've played. From what I've seen, Orange fans are pretty high on their hard hitting, but we see that all year long in the B1G and it will be normal for us. It actually plays into our hands, as physicality and toughness (mental and physical) is our identity.

2) Nobody misses the dome.

6)Wisconsin fans are the worst fans in the B1G. And from my experience, it's not even close.

1. Our team plays physical and has been surprising in being able to contend with Nebraska, PSU, Wisconsin and Mich.St this season. We are definitively a program on the rise. Much more disciplined than in seasons past, penalties under control. Get ready for a healthy does of David Cobb and Maxx Williams.
2. I don't miss the dome. Sitting in 0°F weather outdoors is 100x better than the 68°F stale dome, although my wife might disagree :)
3. I still don't get how Schiano got an NFL job. I wasn't aware he did the dirtbag victory formation crap at Rutgers also. that alone should have disqualified him from any future job. fortunately, he will be living the true motto of the NFL (Not For Long)
Maryland will be an interesting match-up to follow. Many here on Gopher Hole were hoping that Maryland's current coach (Edsall) would take the job here before he moved from UConnn to Maryland. Will be a nice thing to compare to see if Kill outperforms Edsall over the next few years.

Sorry, need to jump in on this one ... Andre Williams from BC is miles and miles better than David Cobb. Nothing against Cobb, it's just that Williams is insanely good.

Ok, I can't disagree there at all! Nonetheless, Cobb is one of the better backs opposing teams have faced this season which should also hold true for Syracuse.

I'll just add a couple of things. For the old-timers, either physically or in spirit, there was a time when Minnesota was a dynasty. It's always hard to accept the long drought. The 50+ years since the last Rose Bowl--easily the longest in the Big Ten.

At one time, Nebraska was a rival. In fact, I believe that when Nebraska joined the B1G, Minnesota-Nebraska had a 67 (?) game history that series ended abruptly and in some bitterness when Nebraska ran the score dang near to triple digits on a rather hapless Gophers squad. I hope we making kicking their butt every bit as big of a priority as Wiscy or Iowa.

When the bowl schedule started expanding somewhat, Maryland beat the Gophers in a bowl game. Another team that the Gophers need to beat down at every opportunity. (I've always been a sore loser with a long memory.) I like the addition of Rutgers, but I'd have preferred UConn, Pitt, or yes, Syracuse to Maryland for an eastern partner. Delany didn't ask me.

Nobody will ever understand domes until they've been to an NDSU game. It's not about in or out of the weather--it's about noise like you're directing traffic on an aircraft carrier.

And my questions back to you: Does Syracuse really feel like they're New York's team? Do you feel like New York and the eastern seaboard is somewhat indifferent, to either the school or the sport? Isn't it really more basketball-centric?

Just to add to what others have said:
1) Gophers run a clock management and field position game -- an extension of our run game. Special teams is our secret weapon. Huge factor in the break out win against Nebraska, IMO.

Just to add to what others have said:
1) Gophers run a clock management and field position game -- an extension of our run game. Special teams is our secret weapon. Huge factor in the break out win against Nebraska, IMO.

Two additional things not fully addressed. I've bolded an important point in Nokomis' post. We will hold the ball for literally 35-40 minutes. The second important point I have not seen posted is that we are very good on 4th down when we go for it. One of the better conversion rates in the country. Good luck and thanks for posting.

Nobody will ever understand domes until they've been to an NDSU game. It's not about in or out of the weather--it's about noise like you're directing traffic on an aircraft carrier.

And my questions back to you: Does Syracuse really feel like they're New York's team? Do you feel like New York and the eastern seaboard is somewhat indifferent, to either the school or the sport? Isn't it really more basketball-centric?

Agree about the noise factor. A smaller, more intimate dome (as opposed to the Superdome) tends to amplify crowd noise to deafening levels. I don't know if you guys were able to get the same thing with the Metrodome since it's so massive, but it sounds like the Fargodome does. Nowadays, we rarely get the huge crowds like we got in the 80s and 90s to justify the nickname of the Loud House.

It all started with (and here I will tie together your first point with your second question) an entire regime change at the end of 2004: New President, AD, and head coach. Our AD is a USC disciple and with him came the decision to switch to a West-Coast offense and hired Greg Robinson. The 18 years before the hire, we went to 13 bowls (9-3-1 record), which included an Orange, a Sugar, two Fiestas, and a slew of others. The next four years we went 10-37 and only 3-25 in the depleted Big East (Yeah, that Big East). So it's been an uphill battle ever since with regards given to respectability and continuity.

One of the ADs other changes that none of us really understood at the time was the re-branding of the school as New York's college team. The name itself was quite ambiguous. People from Upstate New York (Everything north of New York City where people don't have that stereotypical New York accent) interpreted it to mean New York State's college team. Downstate people (NYC and Long Island) saw it to mean New York City's college team. In hindsight, the AD saw the Big East's demise and it was all a marketing ploy to increase our perceived value of the school in the massive NYC market to the ACC and Big Ten once further expansion took place. ACC first took the bait and we bailed.

However, the efficacy of the campaign is debatable. People in Buffalo (western New York) don't care about Syracuse. Rochester (midwest) and Albany (east) do care. NYC doesn't really care about anyone but themselves, as has always been the case. If I had to estimate the percentage of NYC for each of the major teams, it would be like this:

90% Don't care
3% Notre Dame
3% Penn State
3% Syracuse
1% other

It would be nice if Syracuse could get the support of the entire state like pretty much every other state in the Union enjoys with their main D1 school but it's not meant to be. But you are correct in your assumption that the Northeast corridor in general only cares about professional sports. In the country, it seems like the huge collegiate followings are in the Southeast and the Midwest. We regards to Syracuse sports, there definitely seems to be a schism between full fledged Syracuse fans (Football, basketball, and others) and the basketball onlys. The basketball onlys are more populous and take every opportunity to insult and disparage the football team. It's quite annoying.

Getting back to college football, I really hope that in the next ten years or so, we get to see an emergence of a dominant Northern football team to win some National Championships. I'm tired of the SEC winning all the time and when they don't, another Southern team does. It's too bad that they will never have a BCS/Playoff bowl game up North in the snow. I'm pretty sure that's where the NFL playoffs are decided.

It seems like the overall favorite for worst fan base for you guys is Wisconsin. Take pleasure in the fact that the last time we played Wisky was when they had Ron Dayne. We won 34-0.

It seems like the overall favorite for worst fan base for you guys is Wisconsin. Take pleasure in the fact that the last time we played Wisky was when they had Ron Dayne. We won 34-0.
easy to hate a team that as whipped your butts for ten years straight and been to six rose bowls in 20 years.

easy to hate a team that as whipped your butts for ten years straight and been to six rose bowls in 20 years.

Easy to be insecure when you have 0 National Championships in 100 plus years. The knack of blowing the big game makes the future pretty depressing as well I am sure.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to post a fond farewell before the banhammer swings down on your skull.

rawphenomenon, only things I can add to the many noteworthy points brought up by other posters is that Claeys is extremely aggressive on defense. He brings the heat from a lot of different angles. It has worked better this year as the team has become more acclimated to this style, but it can leave our D-backs vulnerable in man coverage. On offense, we are very ground-centric (as many have said) and Kill really preaches a brand of physical running football. Not a ton of finesse out of Cobb and Kirkwood, but there are a few wrinkles with the jet sweep to keep the opposing D off balance. Passing game has been disappointing.

rawphenomenon, only things I can add to the many noteworthy points brought up by other posters is that Claeys is extremely aggressive on defense. He brings the heat from a lot of different angles. It has worked better this year as the team has become more acclimated to this style, but it can leave our D-backs vulnerable in man coverage. On offense, we are very ground-centric (as many have said) and Kill really preaches a brand of physical running football. Not a ton of finesse out of Cobb and Kirkwood, but there are a few wrinkles with the jet sweep to keep the opposing D off balance. Passing game has been disappointing.

I am pretty certain Rawphenom is the orange head coach. Loose lips sink ships!

Top Bottom