Lou Nanne to lead University of Minnesota Athletics Facilities Campaign

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Lou Nanne to lead University of Minnesota Athletics Facilities Campaign

Accomplished local executive and former Golden Gopher Athlete to also lead

Athletic Department volunteer leadership council

Minneapolis (December 9, 2013) -- The University of Minnesota announced today that Lou Nanne will lead the Athletic Facilities Fundraising Campaign in an effort to provide Golden Gopher student-athletes with the opportunity and tools they need to succeed in competition and later in life. The $190 million effort will fund new Gopher football and basketball practice facilities, a student-athlete academic and counseling center, nutrition and training tables, Olympic sports facilities, and other training and support needs for the University's athletic programs.

Nanne, a University of Minnesota graduate and Gopher Athletic Hall of Fame member, is also a successful sports executive and businessman, currently serving as Senior Managing Director at RBC Global Asset Management, Inc., in the Twin Cities.

In addition to the facilities campaign, Nanne will lead a new volunteer leadership council that will assist the University Athletic Department in meeting the needs of its student-athletes, coaching staffs and athletic programs on a consistent basis.

"Lou is an unbelievable leader in the community and has represented the University and state in such a way that he was an obvious choice to ask to lead this campaign and new volunteer leadership council," said Director of Athletics Norwood Teague. "We are flattered and grateful that Lou has accepted this opportunity and we look forward to working arm in arm with him in this endeavor."

"The University of Minnesota provided me with an enormous opportunity as a young student-athlete and launched me on a course that I could never have imagined when I first stepped foot on this campus," said Nanne. "I now look forward to helping this University provide that same support and opportunity to future generations of Gopher student-athletes and Minnesotans."

In this role, Nanne will work closely with the athletic department to build additional support for the University and its athletic programs among highly-influential and motivated Minnesotans.

“Lou’s tireless and passionate support for this University are widely known and respected,” said University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler. “This is further recognition of an alumnus and community leader who has continually gone above and beyond for this institution.”

There is not a set term attached to Nanne’s volunteer leadership role and it will be effective immediately.

Go Gophers!!

I'm good for a sizable contribution, Louie, just let me know when you need me to write the check.

Nanne, Sid and Mona could write the total check themselves without breaking a sweat

I need to invest in real estate like Sid did. Who is his buddy that he got rich with?

I don't have the answer to that.

I have heard that Sid has reserved a U-Haul trailer to attach to his hearse and carry his money when the time comes.:cool02:

Sid did get taken by the Bernie Madoff scandal, but I always loved his response when asked how badly did he get burned -

"I've lost a lot more money in StarTribune stock over the years than I ever did with Madoff"

This is great new. How long is it going to take before we see a shovel in the ground for the new basketball practice facility?

This is great new. How long is it going to take before we see a shovel in the ground for the new basketball practice facility?

We have to raise enough to buy a new shovel first.

per Sid:

• The recent appointment of Lou Nanne as the lead fundraiser for the Gophers athletic department was a stroke of genius. Nobody knows more Gophers fans and the man doesn’t have an enemy in the world. On top of that, his past experience as general manager of the North Stars will come in handy when talking finances with potential donors.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/235508901.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Shooter Now: Lou Nanne says Gophers' $190M quest is justified

"If Northwestern can raise $200 million, why can't we raise $190 million? Every other school in the Big Ten is raising at least $200 million.

"It doesn't matter if people have gone to the University of Minnesota -- if they live in the state of Minnesota, they're affected by the University of Minnesota."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

"If Northwestern can raise $200 million, why can't we raise $190 million? Every other school in the Big Ten is raising at least $200 million.

Geez.. hope he's not that clueless. Is Lou in his 70's now? Hope the grandkid has success at RPI.

Geez.. hope he's not that clueless. Is Lou in his 70's now? Hope the grandkid has success at RPI.

And the reason the comparision is invalid is? Minnesota alum are cheap while Northwestern alum are not?

You have been extremely negative on the facilities plan without any details, so it is difficult to gauge if your points are valid

And the reason the comparision is invalid is? Minnesota alum are cheap while Northwestern alum are not?

You have been extremely negative on the facilities plan without any details, so it is difficult to gauge if your points are valid

I could go on for days, but here's one to start: Northwestern hasn't raised the money yet.

Lol, GW commenting on Lou Nanne's PR skills. That man has more wit and personality than you could ever dream of.

The one going to RPI is a great hockey player, just would not have seen the ice nearly as much. Can't blame the kid. And you really shouldn't hold a grudge against him.

Also, just over 10 years ago Northwestern raised over $1.5 billion dollars for the school. I don't think it is that far fetched to think they have the capabilities of raising $200 million for athletics. Will it happen, we won't know til the campaign is over. But they are not going to set themselves up for failure with an unattainable goal. And the U has a much higher student and alumni population, and much larger sports following, and are the only D-1 team in town. I have to believe it is attainable for the U to reach there goal as well.

Also, just over 10 years ago Northwestern raised over $1.5 billion dollars for the school. I don't think it is that far fetched to think they have the capabilities of raising $200 million for athletics. Will it happen, we won't know til the campaign is over. But they are not going to set themselves up for failure with an unattainable goal. And the U has a much higher student and alumni population, and much larger sports following, and are the only D-1 team in town. I have to believe it is attainable for the U to reach there goal as well.

Excellent points. You do realize you are contradicting GW's take? He evidently has added a financial degree to go along with his legal and medical degrees. A true Renaissance Man.

Lol, GW commenting on Lou Nanne's PR skills. That man has more wit and personality than you could ever dream of.

Jesse Bauer; the most arrogant nobody to ever post on GH.

Keep posting lame links to LateNightHoops!

Northwestern's law school just got a $25M donation from a billionaire alumnus. The money is there with a small but very affluent alumni base. The money is here to be had for the U, too, we just need someone to grab the thousands of alums and other supporters of the school by their ankles, turn them upside down and shake their pockets empty.

Northwestern can achieve their goal - it's reasonable for them. They just have not done it yet as Nanne suggests.

Minnesota's goal and project timeline is not reasonable.

Lou never said NW has already reached 200m.

Northwestern can achieve their goal - it's reasonable for them. They just have not done it yet as Nanne suggests.

Minnesota's goal and project timeline is not reasonable.

" It always seems impossible until it is done." ---Nelson Mandela

You don't know Lou Nanne very well. He will blow by the $190 million target. As for being in his 70's......what age group do you think the big donors will be in?

" It always seems impossible until it is done." ---Nelson Mandela

You don't know Lou Nanne very well. He will blow by the $190 million target. As for being in his 70's......what age group do you think the big donors will be in?

I'm more than happy to place a wager on our differing views.

per Shooter:

That was Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany at the Minneapolis Club on Tuesday morning for Lou Nanne's initial meeting of local business volunteers to find a way to raise $190 million for Gophers athletics facilities improvements. Nanne, a former Gophers hockey star, is heading the funding quest.

Delany impressed those at the gathering with his candor. Gophers administrators also attended.

Meanwhile, T. Denny Sanford, the multimillionaire Minnesota grad who continues to be cultivated by the Gophers as a donor, might be willing to help out for a new football practice facility. But Sanford remains adamant that he'll not be the lead financial contributor for the overall project, and he's not interested in donating for other sports.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_24740082/shooter-now-john-gagliardi-loaned-learjet-snag-award

Go Gophers!!

Minnesota's goal and project timeline is not reasonable.[/QU

With only 19 Fortune 500 companies headquartered in the state, the nation's fifth fastest growing economy, per capita income at or near 10th in the nation, and one of the largest number of alumni in the country, I can't imagine why the U would think they could raise $190 million for a sports facility.

Top Bottom