Bowl Season is where conferences make a name for themselves

husker70

Reaction score
The perception that one conference plays a better brand, one conference is deeper, tougher. That all goes out the window if, the Big 10 wins a majority of their bowl games.

With 7 games, what is the over under? 3?

Syracuse vs. Minnesota
Michigan vs. Kansas State
Nebraska vs. Georgia
Iowa vs. LSU
Wisconsin vs. South Carolina
MSU vs. Stanford
OSU vs. Clemson

Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin must win. This is Big 10 vs. SEC. And this is a battle of the middle of both conferences. The underdog Spartans get the biggest stage and take on what everyone tells you is the second best conference after the SEC. Michigan is in no mans land. Do they tweak the offense with Gardner, or move forward with younger players in the Pro Set offense Brady Hoke wants for 2014.

I would say o/u of 3 is about right. I think 5 is best case scenario. But wouldn't be surprised if we it was 2, 3 or 4 when its all said and done. My prediction is 4: Minnesota!, Iowa, Mich St, Mich. I think Ohio St has been exposed the last 2 weeks. Nebraska could have a chance if they could just concentrate but Georgia is going to put up too many points (I mean they did ALMOST beat Auburn) so I'm counting this as a loss, and the Wisconsin game, that could be a VERY good game but I guess I would choose SC.

I hope I'm completely wrong and we nail 5 or 6 of these suckers! Especially winning at least 2 against the SEC. That would be a great way to start out the new year.

Big Ten gets to play the higher ranked teams a majority of the time.

Unranked BCS Iowa playing #16 LSU, Unranked Nebraska playing #22 Georgia, #19 Wisconsin playing #9 S. Carolina. MSU vs Stanford is #4 VS #5. Ohio St the only big ten team playing a bit lower ranked team in Clemson, #7 to #12.

Big ten regularily gets higher bowls than their record/ranking will allow because its politics and the big ten travels really well, has some huge schools with large fanbases.

The perception that one conference plays a better brand, one conference is deeper, tougher. That all goes out the window if, the Big 10 wins a majority of their bowl games.

Syracuse vs. Minnesota
Nebraska vs. Georgia
Iowa vs. LSU
MSU vs. Stanford
OSU vs. Clemson

QUOTE]

I hope all the Big Ten teams win except wisc

spackler, I have given your hopes and wishes lots of thought. The thought lasted about 2.3 seconds, electronically timed, and I decided that I want the B1G Conference to go 7-0.

Unranked BCS Iowa playing #16 LSU, Unranked Nebraska playing #22 Georgia, #19 Wisconsin playing #9 S. Carolina. MSU vs Stanford is #4 VS #5. Ohio St the only big ten team playing a bit lower ranked team in Clemson, #7 to #12.

Big ten regularily gets higher bowls than their record/ranking will allow because its politics and the big ten travels really well, has some huge schools with large fanbases.

Syracuse vs. Minnesota
Nebraska vs. Georgia
Iowa vs. LSU
MSU vs. Stanford
OSU vs. Clemson

QUOTE]

I know I mentioned this on the other thread, but if our goal is to compare conferences, we should look more closely at conference standings than at national rankings. In our SEC games, the B1G delegates finished higher in the B1G than the SEC delegates did in the SEC. If the third, fourth, and fifth best B1G teams cannot beat the fourth, fifth, and sixth best teams in the SEC, then I have trouble making an argument that B1G is a better conference.

The B1G is not a better conference than the SEC, unfortunately.

That said, I think it is better than the ACC and Big XII on the whole, and on par with the Pac-12 - coincidentally, those are the four games I see the conference winning.

Syracuse vs. Minnesota
Nebraska vs. Georgia
Iowa vs. LSU
MSU vs. Stanford
OSU vs. Clemson

Wisconsin-USCe is a toss up in my mind, but Nebraska and Iowa will likely get pounded by their SEC opponents.

spackler, I have given your hopes and wishes lots of thought. The thought lasted about 2.3 seconds, electronically timed, and I decided that I want the B1G Conference to go 7-0.

How does any Gopher fan ever cheer for Wisconsin, in any game, ever? Barring their result directly sending us to the Rose Bowl / Playoff, I refuse

How does any Gopher fan ever cheer for Wisconsin, in any game, ever? Barring their result directly sending us to the Rose Bowl / Playoff, I refuse

Instead of cheering for Wisconsin, I will not cheer for their opponent. That said, it is better for us if the B1G goes 7-0 than 1-6 with us being the only win. You want to be the best in the best conference. We need everyone in the B1G to play well. We just need to play better.

+19*

*Registered Trademark

So I must be mistaken, is someone trying to claim the B1G is better than the SEC? When was the last time we won 7 in a row?

Syracuse vs. Minnesota
Nebraska vs. Georgia
Iowa vs. LSU
MSU vs. Stanford
OSU vs. Clemson

Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin must win. This is Big 10 vs. SEC. And this is a battle of the middle of both conferences. The underdog Spartans get the biggest stage and take on what everyone tells you is the second best conference after the SEC. Michigan is in no mans land. Do they tweak the offense with Gardner, or move forward with younger players in the Pro Set offense Brady Hoke wants for 2014.

I'd say the over under would come in at 3.5 since the only real favorites we will have in my opinion are us and OSU. According to Vegas we are 4.5-6 pt favorites, Mich is a 3 pt dog, Neb is a 10 pt dog, Wisc a 1-2 pt favorite (probably will end up as a pick em.), Iowa an 8 pt dog, MSU a 1.5-4 pt dog, and OSU a 2.5-5 pt favorite. Now these are very preliminary but i'd guess for the most part these won't move much. It could get ugly against the SEC if Wisc can't pull one off.

So I must be mistaken, is someone trying to claim the B1G is better than the SEC? When was the last time we won 7 in a row?

and no one is trying to claim that.

I hope we can claim this in 4 weeks. I don't think the SEC is as good as the hype they get all season. ESPN chokes on SEC D1ck all off season and season long :cool02:

Murray is out for Georgia, right? That at least gives Nebraska some kind of chance, doesn't it?

the big ten definitely needs to win the cap one bowl, outback and gator if we want to be viewed as equals with the SEC, looking at it i think the Rose is a toss up but MSU D matches up well with Stanford and they are the hotter team, i would like OSU over Clemson but they just don't match up well with Clemson's O, their secondary will get abused from Boyd to Watkins so that game is a toss up for me, the USC-Wiscy game is also a toss up, for that one i definitely think USC is favored but that is solely on the fact that Wiscy didn't show up versus penn state, i think they are a very good team and i think they will win, Iowa looks to have the toughest draw but Mettenburger is out and their D and linebackers matches up well with LSU's O and power run game, Murray is out for Georgia but i give them the slight edge, i don't think nebraska is very good , i know nothing of K-state other then the fact that they are a 7 win team. overall i think every single game is evenly matched will be very close except for our game, we will win, but we need to win against the SEC to battle the perception issue and to give us some bragging rights

the big ten definitely needs to win the cap one bowl, outback and gator if we want to be viewed as equals with the SEC, looking at it i think the Rose is a toss up but MSU D matches up well with Stanford and they are the hotter team, i would like OSU over Clemson but they just don't match up well with Clemson's O, their secondary will get abused from Boyd to Watkins so that game is a toss up for me, the USC-Wiscy game is also a toss up, for that one i definitely think USC is favored but that is solely on the fact that Wiscy didn't show up versus penn state, i think they are a very good team and i think they will win, Iowa looks to have the toughest draw but Mettenburger is out and their D and linebackers matches up well with LSU's O and power run game, Murray is out for Georgia but i give them the slight edge, i don't think nebraska is very good , i know nothing of K-state other then the fact that they are a 7 win team. overall i think every single game is evenly matched will be very close except for our game, we will win, but we need to win against the SEC to battle the perception issue and to give us some bragging rights

vegas disagrees with your assessment of Iowa and Neb

I agree with spackler, the suckeyes and On Probation can kick rocks

Didn't they lose to some crap D2 team?

Unfortunately there are people on here who claim that in one form or another.

If they have, I certainly haven't seen it. Some people think the SEC is overrated sometimes, but that isn't even close to the same thing. I think the SEC is the best conference in college football this year, yet I also think they are a little overrated.

I am concerned with OSU. Not only have they been exposed, but also possibly demoralized. The path to the National Championship gone. Do they harbor any why play Clemson?

You'd like a team in our conference to lose? How strange.

I absolutely will be rooting against our BIGGEST RIVAL come January 1st, and I simply cannot fathom any other viewpoint.

Rational reason: What incremental good does it do the Gophers if the BIG is 4-3 vs. 3-4 (or 2-5 vs. 1-6, etc)? Now, what incremental harm does it do the Gophers if the Badgers win vs. lose their bowl game?

Real reason: THEY ARE THE FREAKING BADGERS!

Top Bottom