How far are Galveston or Bayport Texas from Houston or more so anyone experience stay

gopherdudepart2

Reaction score
Any Gopher fans have any experience staying in Galveston or Bayport Texas areas? Any Gopher fans rent condos or beach front villas
in Galveston or Bayport before and have ideas on cost for say a five day stay.
Would rather try and put together a trip with some sun and some beach time, that way and staying near the beach and somewhere near where you could burn a day golfing
and drink some good beer.
Might as well try and get some golf and some laying on the beach time besides the bowl game.
Does anyone know with traffic situation down their, if Galveston and or Bayport would be the way to go or is that
hour +, so to far away to stay that somewhere around Houston? Would it be cheaper to fly somewhere else and rent a car and drive to Houston?
Houston sounds like a drive to the game and thats about it kind of place as sounds like the beaches around there are kind of bad and most of the waterfront is all terminal or industrial
parks for shipping. It might be reasonably warm around the gulf to at least be able to hand out by the beaches. Ideas Gopher fans to make this more than just a fly in fly out kind of deal?

Galveston is about an hour away. It's small. Other than a quick trip down to see the water I haven't spent much time there

Houston is a massive metroplex. There's a lot to do but it is spread out. Traffic can be a problem. Everyone in houston has two cars and both are on the road at the same time, at least that's how it always seemed to me. Plenty of good golf and dining in and around houston

Austin and San Antonio are short and easy drives from houston. Both have plenty to do. Do consider going to the bob bullock Texas museum in Austin. Makes for a nice break from the night life.

In houston Most my stays have been in the galleria area west of town. Lots of good hotels, restaurants and bars out,that way

My favorite part of downtown houston: they actually do traffic engineering. I've made it through 22 traffic lights in a row without stopping

Regardless, south Texas makes for a good winter break if just for the weather

Went to Galveston last year after the game. Lots of little historical buildings and shops. Good seafood. It's a cruise port, so it's now built for that.

Galveston has about 50,000 residents, but has many of the amenities of a larger city. There are many historical buildings, bars and nightlife, a water park, and Moody Gardens (IMAX, gardens, aquarium, and much more) to enjoy (well, maybe not the water park this time of year). You're an almost straight shot up I-45 to Reliant from the island, and the driving time is about the same as staying in The Woodlands or Katy (i.e. just under an hour), but with slightly better traffic flow.

The beaches aren't outstanding, but they are made for recreation on the Gulf side. The Bay side is shipping ports, fish warehouses, and oil refineries (in addition to our Galveston campus). If you settle on Galveston, I would be glad to offer more specific recommendations on dining and entertainment. I am not familiar with Baytown.

Galveston is a bit interesting in that it can go from nice to sketchy over the course of a block or two - that's just part of having lots of older homes, some are remodeled and some are in poor condition. Look on Google Street View when you find a place to stay to make sure the neighboring homes look to be of similar condition.

It's doubtful that you could fly and drive anywhere for less money than you could fly directly into Houston via IAH or HOU, but it wouldn't hurt to look at AUS or CLL. You will need a car, regardless, if you hope to see anything in the city at large.

You might also look at Brenham. They have some quaint B&B type places, Blue Bell Creameries, and is closer to Austin, Santa's Wonderland, some of the great BBQ places in central Texas, and many Texas historical sites. The Hyatt Lost Pines in Bastrop or La Torretta in Lake Conroe could be fun resort-style getaways where you would drive into the game and back.

If your looking to rent some thing on the beach I would look at Jamaica Beach or Crystal Beach. Both places will have a lot of rentals available for the week. For Crystal Beach you will need to take the ferry across which is free and I think the better of the two beaches to stay on if your not looking to golf or go site seeing as the beach is great. If your looking to golf and site see then Jamaica beach is the location to be. Rentals are not bad price wise if you have a small group as its about 1200-1500 a week for beach side for a house that sleeps 6-8. Most house are newly built as well because of the hurricane 5 years ago that tore up that place pretty good.

If your looking more Houston area, as most on here have said Houston is really spread out so location wise you can't really be in one area and hit up the entire town. Midtown, Rice Village - Medical district, Galleria and Memorial areas are all great but all are not out by the stadium. Personally I suggest not staying out at Reliant but in the Rice Village - Medical District if you want to be closer to the stadium but still in a good area. Lots of great golf courses are available down here I personally would suggest trying Redstone where the tour plays at in March, great course.

I want to go somewhere warm after the game.

How far south do I have to drive to get it?

Start driving, I'll tell you when to stop!

Expect low 60s for highs, low 40s at night

If golfing, watch out for the squirrels. Most aggressive ones I have ever encountered are in houston. They consider a golf cart their domain. If its food, they'll take it

Worth going just to experience reliant. Makes the astrodome look tiny

Thank you for the responses guy's this is helpful.

If your looking to rent some thing on the beach I would look at Jamaica Beach or Crystal Beach. Both places will have a lot of rentals available for the week. For Crystal Beach you will need to take the ferry across which is free and I think the better of the two beaches to stay on if your not looking to golf or go site seeing as the beach is great. If your looking to golf and site see then Jamaica beach is the location to be. Rentals are not bad price wise if you have a small group as its about 1200-1500 a week for beach side for a house that sleeps 6-8. Most house are newly built as well because of the hurricane 5 years ago that tore up that place pretty good.

If your looking more Houston area, as most on here have said Houston is really spread out so location wise you can't really be in one area and hit up the entire town. Midtown, Rice Village - Medical district, Galleria and Memorial areas are all great but all are not out by the stadium. Personally I suggest not staying out at Reliant but in the Rice Village - Medical District if you want to be closer to the stadium but still in a good area. Lots of great golf courses are available down here I personally would suggest trying Redstone where the tour plays at in March, great course.

Renting something on the beach for six people seems to be the most economical way to go for five days. Flying to Austin and driving might work for us as we need a car anyways and have relatives an hour from their also. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

weather in Dec can vary sharply from day to day.. 80's to 40's with cold rain.
houston is gulf weather.. Dallas is southern plains.. not that far of a drive, but a different climate. Dallas can have a snowstorm and Houston is 80 degrees.

Top Bottom