Q&A: Jeff Jones Discusses Gophers Official Visit, David Cobb's Season & Much More

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Jeff Jones Discusses Gophers Official Visit, David Cobb's Season & Much More

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/317106?referrer_id=388419

Jeff Jones, a 5-10, 180-pound senior running back from Minneapolis Washburn, took his official visit to Minnesota this weekend, Jones capped off the weekend by being named Minnesota's Mr. Football. The two-sport standout talked with Gopher Hole Sunday about his visit, his recruitment and winning the award.

Gopher Hole: You have to be pretty proud of the individual award today. What was the feeling going into today? There were a couple of other awards that Jacques Perra won. Did you have an indication that you might win this?

Jeff Jones: No. Basically, I came in here hoping that I would win it. I thought that the quarterback from Roseville had a really good chance to win this because he was the All-Metro Player of the Year, but I won. I just feel like it is a tremendous blessing right now.

Gopher Hole: You had your official visit to Minnesota this weekend. How was that?

Jeff Jones: It was great. That was what really kept my mind off this whole Mr. Football thing this weekend. My visit just kept me humbled and kept my mind off of it.

Gopher Hole: They had a couple of the other commits in Andrew Stelter, Gaelin Elmore and Brandon Lingen. I know that you have gotten to know them a little bit this year. Did you get to know some of them a little bit better even now?

Jeff Jones: A little. We sat down and all ate dinner together. We just got to hear little stories about the guys, so you get a better overall look. Not just seeing that person on TV or knowing that he has the same scholarship offers I do, but more just in general as a person.

Gopher Hole: Did that make you feel better about Minnesota after the visit this weekend?

Jeff Jones: Yes. Visiting the campus always makes you feel better, you know, because you see things that you don't see every day and you experience things that you don't experience every day.

Gopher Hole: Are you still going to try to take some more visits?

Jeff Jones: Yes. I think that I am going to finish my four visits.

Gopher Hole: Do you know where you are going to go yet?

Jeff Jones: Michigan State, Iowa State, Mizzou. I am trying to find another school.

Gopher Hole: Do you have dates yet for those?

Jeff Jones: No, I don't.

Gopher Hole: What is going to be the main factor that is going to make you decide that this is where I want to be?

Jeff Jones: The relationship between the coaches and what if I don't make it to the next level, after college, who is going to have my best interest.

Gopher Hole: Minnesota had a very good season. I know that you were at several games. How pleased were you with the way that they played?

Jeff Jones: They had a great season. It puts a smile on my face because I am from Minnesota and growing up I watched them lose a lot, so it was great to start to watch them win some games.

Gopher Hole: How about the success of running back David Cobb, who rushed for more than a thousand yards. Does that get you kind of excited about how you could fit in that offense?

Jeff Jones: Yes. That kind of did get me excited just to see that he stepped up this year and played up to his abilities. Coach Anderson, who is the running backs coach over there, he even told me last summer that Cobb had the ability to do that and this year, he broke out and did it. I commend him on his season also.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to you to play for the home state school?

Jeff Jones: It would mean a lot. The program and still winning and they are only going to get better from here, so it would mean a lot.

Gopher Hole: You had a big game the other week playing basketball, scoring 37 points. You lost Thursday, unfortunately, but how is basketball going so far this season?

Jeff Jones: It is pretty good. We had a young team last year and we are a little bit more mature this year. We are just trying to get some wins now.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about when you are going to try to make the final decision?

Jeff Jones: I haven't.

Sounds much more possible to commit to Minnesota than in his previous interviews. He's certainly a talented kid and could be a home-town hero. I hope he chooses to represent his home state!

This kid is five star, I don't care what the sites say. If we get him we get a player that will play on Sundays someday. Come here dude...be a program changing player...in your home state!

"They had a great season. It puts a smile on my face because I am from Minnesota and growing up I watched them lose a lot, so it was great to start to watch them win some games."

"That kind of did get me excited just to see that he stepped up this year and played up to his abilities. Coach Anderson, who is the running backs coach over there, he even told me last summer that Cobb had the ability to do that and this year, he broke out and did it. I commend him on his season also."

some reassuring quotes and i think our coaches have developed a good relationship with him and other recruits and do have players best interests if the don't make it to the next level, and they act genuine and care about the players they are recruiting

This is a much more hopeful interview than the previous one. Hopefully we get him. Competing with MSU and Mizz will be tough though.

not that he would go to ISU but they already have 2 RB commits as well just like Mizz and MSU, all 6 RBs for those teams are high 3 stars and mizzou already has 25 commits so i think JJ would more of a luxury more then a necessity for all of them

I like his desire to have a future after football if he doesn't get to the NFL or after the NFL. ISU, MSU and Mizzou can't compete with the U and the connections on the Twin Cities.

Tom Lemming said that Jones would be a 4-year starter here at Minnesota a week ago. Now, Jones must be a helluva player if Lemming (the most credible out there) says that he'd start as a freshman over Cobb next year. Either way, those 2 getting a ton a carries in our offense next year would be a blessing!

Cobb, Jones and Edwards would be awesome. We just need better pass blocking, QB and WR play and we are set to improve from this year and bring a trophy or two or three home.

Top Bottom