GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill -12/8/13

DL65

Reaction score
It was an abbreviated session with Coach Kill on today's Sports Huddle; he was watching a Gopher football practice when the phone connection was made and, additionally, he was going to be busy getting ready for this afternoon's annual football banquet.

Dave Mona opened the show and said the Gophers will know this evening (approximately 7:30 p.m.) where their post season game will be held and who their opponent will be in the bowl game.

1) Sid made a comment about last night's game between MSU and OSU. His contention - the Gophers did a better job against MSU than Ohio State: Kill replied, "I know how good Michigan State is on defense . . . we played Michigan State tough." He said they (Gophers) didn't finish the job when they got inside the eleven yard line.

Kill's final comment was (I want to) "Compliment Michigan State on a great job."

2) Sid made another comment in which he was critical of OSU's play calling. He said OSU didn't utilize Braxton Miller in the second half as they did in the first 30 minutes: Kill responded, "I'm a coach, I get questioned everyday." (He was referring to the second-guessers during and following a game.)

Not surprising, Kill did not say anything negative about OSU, but, rather, he was very complimentary with MSU's game plan and execution, "Michigan State played tough . . . wanted to control the football like we did."

Kill, in responding to Sid's comments, sounded pleased with the play of the Gopher team this year. He said they want to get to where Michigan State is at. (IMO, he sounded confident about the direction that the Gopher team is headed.)

His last comment - following Sid's statement - was that they want to win nine games this year for the seniors (a bowl win against a yet to be named opponent.)

3) Sid asked if all the coaches are home from their recruiting forays: "All are home," Kill said. They're on the practice field with the players. Kill also said, "9-10 kids (recruits) are visiting." The coaches were on the recruiting trails Friday and returned home Saturday. Kill will be meeting with the recruits and getting ready for this afternoon's banquet. Although he didn't say so, I suspect some, if not all, of the recruits will be at the banquet.

Kill closed the question by saying their thoughts are now turning to the upcoming bowl game.

4) Mona said at a social gathering last night the topic of whether or not Coach Kill will coach from the upstairs box or on the sidelines next yearf was raised several times: Kill laughed and said he was aware of the national attention that he and the team has received in recent weeks, "Whatever we need to do to keep Minnesota in the news . . . We need to win nine games for the seniors."

As to the question raised by Dave Mona about next year's coaching system on game days, Kill did not specifically answer the query.

5) Sid asked how recruiting is going: Kill said they're presently at practice; however, he said they'll be on the road next week recruiting. He sounded upbeat and about the recruiting process. Later, Sid asked about JUCO recruits and how that was going knowing that he couldn't divulge any names. Kill's terse comment was, "Can't make any comments."

Kill also said, about recruiting, that they expect to sign 18-20 recruits. Mona asked how many preferred walkons that they hoped to sign and Kill said they hope to sign 10-12 PWOs. Kill stressed the importance of their walkon program - he said many of the players that are seeing playing time and are on scholarship were once recruited as walkons.

6) Sid asked about player surgeries: Kill listed the following players that are recovering from recent surgeries and will not see action in the upcoming bowl game: Jon Christenson, Chris Streveler, Brean Boddy-Calhoun, and Derrick Engel.

Good News: Brean Boddy-Calhoun has been granted a "medical redshirt." As a result, he has two years of eligibility remaining.

7) Sid asked if Kill knew what bowl game the Gophers will be appearing in: Kill responded, "I don't know . . . so much speculation . . out of our control . . . We get to play somewhere." Coach Kill referenced issues such as history of fans traveling to bowl games, which is a consideration in the selection process (out of the coaches control). Nevertheless, Kill is excited that the Gophers are playing in another bowl game and the importance of winning a ninth game for the seniors. Although it wasn't mentioned, I'm confident Kill is excited with the additional practice time - especially with the redshirts - and the national exposure for recruiting purposes.

8) Sid asked if any of the current coaches will be leaving or are being approached by other teams: "Hope not . . . We'll see . . . They're very committed," Kill replied.

He ended the question saying taking care of your assistants is a priority. (I'm sure he was referring to salaries, however, I'm also confident he was also talking about a good work environment, too. (Conjecture on my part, however)).

Go Gophers!!

Thanks DL. Welcome news with all the bowl and helmet thread discussion going on.

Go Gophers!

Good News: Brean Boddy-Calhoun has been granted a "medical redshirt." As a result, he has two years of eligibility remaining.

Great news! Hopefully he'll be 100% by the beginning of the Big Ten schedule next year. Thanks DL!

DL I think its a Medical Hardship he was granted. This one thing someone on staff does a great job.

DL I think its a Medical Hardship he was granted. This one thing someone on staff does a great job.

Medical Hardship or Medical Red Shirt, same thing...a Waiver approved by the NCAA. We all know what they mean.

Thanks for the report again, DL.

Some of the recruits already tweeted about leaving, so not at the banquet.

DL...Thanks as always. Its amazing how quickly you get your report out after the Kill interview concludes.

Hope the recruits know it is unusually cold almost everywhere in the U.S. this weekend.

Top Bottom