Pitino post game presser notes-Malik Smith can hardly walk, Eliason should be back...

GopherLady

Reaction score
by Tuesday.

Here you go - typing live as they talk, so not verbatim:

Andre Hollins:

We had them up by 20 and I don't think the intensity was there. We let 55 get hot, and he attacked us. *
I think just the focus and intensity was there. I'm not sure why
(On getting pulled after the 1st play) It was poor communication - you can't have lapses like that, it was my fault. I thought it was a different play we were running.

Austin Hollins
I think we came out with good intensity, then we focused on the score instead of keeping our foot on the gas. We can't let up like that.
Coach was rally emphasizes getting better, not just winning, we have to bring our own energy
(On Malik Smith) He'll be ok for the next game.

Mo Walker
I think we need to focus better, especially in the 2nd hall, we can't let up
I'm finishing better around the basket, getting more rebounds, I felt good around the basket
On starting - I found out yesterday, coach told me that Elliott hurt his ankle and that's why I started
I was a little more engaged in the shout around, and I practiced with the 1st team.*

Oto Osenieks

(On the quiet Barn) It starts from us, we have to pay w energy and we didn't. We didn't overlook them, we were focused, maybe it was because we had a 20 point lead. We didn't communicate well.*

Richard Pitino:
• Obviously, 1s thing - Malik and Elliott yesterday hurt their ankles. Elliott was 2 days ago, Malik was yesterday. Malik came into practice, and today he showed up and could hardly walk. Elliott though he was 65%. We didn't play with a whole lot of confidence and energy. We have earned the right to have some confidence, and I didn't see that out there.
• Malik and Elliott both injured their left ankles.
• I called a play and he didn't execute it, so I was upset, he came back in and was fine. He got going a little, we need an aggressive Andre, Austin and Mathieu.
• I wasn't sure I was going to play Elliott or not. I told Mo to take advantage of this opportunity. He did some good things, he rebounded the ball. He needs to be more aggressive posting up. He lost 60 pounds, you have earned the right to be confident, he showed that and did a good job.
• When Elliott played, he walked off and was hobbling pretty bad I thought, we had to get him some rest. He looked like he was really hurt. They want to play, and they want to fight for the injury.
• When DeAndre and Austin get aggressive in transition, we can be really good. We won by 15 at home, without 2 major contributors, I'll probably look back and say it was a better win than I thought it was.
• Mathieu has got speed, they were trying to go under with all ball screens on him, his TO's were a little shaky, he's a major part of what we're doing.
• Maverick showed such great character in Maui, he could have pouted and he didn't. He got 6 rebounds, that shows great toughness.
• I wrote on the board, one of our 1st offensive goals was 2-1 TO ratio, I thought we were just sloppy. I think we took a couple risks that we didn’t need to take offensively.
• When Derenbecker hit two 3's, that changed the game a little bit, it woke them up. I wrote on the board before the game "Humble and hungry" we've got to be humble and hungry. This was a wake up call, you've got to learn from winning.
• It's hard to tell how long Malik Smith will be out. He was pretty banged up - his seems worse than Elliott's, I hope he comes back, rest is the biggest thing. I hope Elliott will be back by Tuesday, I don't know, I left my crystal ball in the car. He came back into practice after he hurt his ankle yesterday, and today he could hardly walk.
• He joked he'd bring his crystal ball next time - undefeated for the rest of the year.

Top Bottom