Washington to hire Boise State's Peterson

I think we can safely predict doom and gloom for Boise from here on out. Tougher conference, hot shot coach is gone and they still can't recruit all that well. They certainly may remain an 8 win team (conference isn't that hard), but no more BCS busting in Idaho.

And I predict Peterson does not do well at Washington. You need a really hot recruiter to keep them competitive against the California teams that have so many kids right there. Will be tough...

Is anyone else really surprised that of all the jobs he was supposedly offered, he takes the Washington job?

Timing. They had already peaked.

Is anyone else really surprised that of all the jobs he was supposedly offered, he takes the Washington job?

Yeah, I think he just waited too long. He's not necessarily the "hot" coach anymore.

This will be interesting

Yes, yes and yes. This guy has turned down so many jobs and sometimes multiple times ie USC and UCLA. The only thing that I can think of that he likes the Pacific Northwest.

Houston Nutt did well at first at Arkansas before getting run in Fayetteville otherwise Koetter and Hawkins have blown up. I have to think they are going to bring Harsin back to coach in Boise from Arkansas State.

I wonder if former Gopher lineman goes with Petersen to Seattle as the Strength and Conditioning coach.

This is a good hire for Washington and a very good job change for Petersen. Petersen is a top recruiter who's made a living from identifying good west coast players that have been overlooked by the PAC 12 schools, or had questionable academics. He's been recruiting the same high schools as Washington, so there shouldn't be a drop off there. He's demonstrated he's a good in game coach and can prepare well for the their opponents. His offensive philosophy is similar to Jerry Kill in the sense that he disguises base plays with different formations and motions to confuse the defense.

I'm happy the Huskies were able to get a quality coach in just a few days and I think Petersen will do a good job.

Not necessarily.

He didn't want a program with outsized expectations or a marquee program that would be calling for his head if national titles weren't being won by year 3-4. He has carved out a niche in the Pacific Northwest and there were only 4 programs that fit the mold: Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, and Wazzu. Oregon State has their coach for life in Riley, Wazzu just hired Leach, and Oregon has the Nike aura and Helfrich which puts the team in the spotlight constantly.

Washington is a historically strong program, in a beautiful city, with good recruiting grounds just to the south in California and a decent amount of homegrown players as well. Expectations aren't super high in Seattle and they just finished a huge renovation on Husky Stadium and other facilities. He'll be one of the highest paid coaches in the Pac-12 and still will be playing 3rd fiddle in his own division with the two headed monster of Oregon/Stanford.

Complete coup for Washington, and a great situation for Peterson.

...with good recruiting grounds just to the south in California...

I agree with a lot of what you say, and I'll couch this with saying that I don't know all that much about California recruiting, but I don't hear of many guys coming from places north of San Francisco. The distance from Seattle to San Fran is roughly equivalent to the distance between Minneapolis and Billings, MT., or the distance between Minneapolis and Little Rock, AR., or the distance from Minneapolis and Columbus, OH.

I agree with WAGopher and WestCoastGopher. good hire for WA, and good job for him.

This is a good hire for Washington and a very good job change for Petersen. Petersen is a top recruiter who's made a living from identifying good west coast players that have been overlooked by the PAC 12 schools, or had questionable academics. He's been recruiting the same high schools as Washington, so there shouldn't be a drop off there. He's demonstrated he's a good in game coach and can prepare well for the their opponents. His offensive philosophy is similar to Jerry Kill in the sense that he disguises base plays with different formations and motions to confuse the defense.

I'm happy the Huskies were able to get a quality coach in just a few days and I think Petersen will do a good job.

Does anyone see Boise being the type of school which comes looking at someone like Coach Claeys? Good experience, obviously can handle the sideline duties, and has worked under a guy with a similar approach to their previous coach; recruit guys who fit what you want to do, regardless of star ranking.

Petersen wasn't going to USC because it would've been a bad fit. He's not the type of guy that relishes that kind of stage and likes to have celebrities on the sidelines and whatnot. I like this move and it's huge for Washington--they could very well lose their coach to USC and end up with the better end of the deal. Time will tell.

Not necessarily.

He didn't want a program with outsized expectations or a marquee program that would be calling for his head if national titles weren't being won by year 3-4. He has carved out a niche in the Pacific Northwest and there were only 4 programs that fit the mold: Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, and Wazzu. Oregon State has their coach for life in Riley, Wazzu just hired Leach, and Oregon has the Nike aura and Helfrich which puts the team in the spotlight constantly.

Washington is a historically strong program, in a beautiful city, with good recruiting grounds just to the south in California and a decent amount of homegrown players as well. Expectations aren't super high in Seattle and they just finished a huge renovation on Husky Stadium and other facilities. He'll be one of the highest paid coaches in the Pac-12 and still will be playing 3rd fiddle in his own division with the two headed monster of Oregon/Stanford.

Complete coup for Washington, and a great situation for Peterson.

I agree with what you are saying. He is a guy that knows his limits and likely doesn't want the spotlight. Great fit for both parties.

All the positive comments about Peterson were also said about Ty Willingham and we know how that turned out.

I like Washington and would love to see them do well and be another team that is a thorn in the side of Oregon. But we'll see how Peterson works out...

That said, I recall I was happy when Willingham went there and I said a lot of positive things about him and how he'd do at Washington...

All the positive comments about Peterson were also said about Ty Willingham and we know how that turned out.

I like Washington and would love to see them do well and be another team that is a thorn in the side of Oregon. But we'll see how Peterson works out...

That said, I recall I was happy when Willingham went there and I said a lot of positive things about him and how he'd do at Washington...

I guess I don't see the comparison. Ty Willingham was a re-tread fired from Notre Dame and Chris Petersen has a career record of 92–12 and has been one of the most sought after coaches of the past several years. You could make a case about Boise St. head coaches somewhat floundering when they go to BCS conferences--Dirk Koetter and Dan Hawkins come to mind, certainly--but I don't see how you equate this to hiring Willingham.

I guess I don't see the comparison. Ty Willingham was a re-tread fired from Notre Dame and Christ Petersen has a career record of 92–12 and has been one of the most sought after coaches of the past several years. You could make a case about Boise St. head coaches somewhat floundering when they go to BCS conferences--Dirk Koetter and Dan Hawkins come to mind, certainly--but I don't see how you equate this to hiring Willingham.

Any relation to Paul Christ?

Does anyone see Boise being the type of school which comes looking at someone like Coach Claeys? Good experience, obviously can handle the sideline duties, and has worked under a guy with a similar approach to their previous coach; recruit guys who fit what you want to do, regardless of star ranking.

Maybe, but I doubt he would be on their short list. Won't shock me if some teams come after him this off season but Boise might be a cut above the schools that would realistically be looking at him. Tough to say though in the crazy world that is the annual coaching carousel.

And I predict Peterson does not do well at Washington. You need a really hot recruiter to keep them competitive against the California teams that have so many kids right there. Will be tough...

I disagree. The state of Washington produces some good talent and this is a program that has had historical success, tradition, and the need for a 70+ thousand seat stadium for good reasons. People forget about how recently they were good because of the deep hole they have been climbing out of in recent years.

If you haven't yet checked out their stadium rennovation... it is incredible and they have the facilities and history to build upon to reach the next level. We all know about Nike and Oregon but over time Washington has been a better program. This move makes sense, although I do wonder if some of the shine has finally worn off of Peterson with recent less-than-BCS-quality seasons. Probably good timing for him and obviously a no-brainer choice for Washington if they could get him.

You obviously don't know much about the PAC 12. Peterson is a grand slam hire. He has been recruiting the same geographic footprint while at Boise and during his stint on Bellotti's staff at Oregon. He can now get in the living rooms of the higher rated prospects with the cache of all UW has
to offer. Recruiting is never a problem there. They produce a fair amount of really good local talent and augment it from Cali like the rest of the conference. Stadium is redone and has the best setting in all CFB. The main question will be keeping his former DC at BSU, Justin Wilcox, on staff. Wilcox is a major up and comer who is on all the short list for all AD's on the west coast. Buyout might be too much for him to follows Sark to SC.

You obviously don't know much about the PAC 12. Peterson is a grand slam hire. He has been recruiting the same geographic footprint while at Boise and during his stint on Bellotti's staff at Oregon. He can now get in the living rooms of the higher rated prospects with the cache of all UW has
to offer. Recruiting is never a problem there. They produce a fair amount of really good local talent and augment it from Cali like the rest of the conference. Stadium is redone and has the best setting in all CFB. The main question will be keeping his former DC at BSU, Justin Wilcox, on staff. Wilcox is a major up and comer who is on all the short list for all AD's on the west coast. Buyout might be too much for him to follows Sark to SC.

Well the good news is we'll get to see. I like Washington and hope he does well there.

As an OSU Beaver this is bad news of epic proportions.

As a Husky fan, I'm glad you feel that way. I also gotta believe that you'll be cheering the Dawgs on whenever they play Oregon.

Great hire, Husky fans have to be excited, better recruiting base and proximity than many of the B1G programs, PAC-12 will be pretty tough going forward.

I think Peterson will win at Washington, in fact I think Washington will win more than USC.

Attachments

• image-719931081.jpg
    image-719931081.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 7

Top Bottom