Bethel students: Shoveling out their stadium so they can freeze Saturday!

station19

Reaction score
"A couple of weeks ago, when the weather wasn't so good, Bethel was able to get into the Metrodome for its first-round victory over St. Scholastica of Duluth.
This Saturday, alas, the Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam quelled any thoughts of a return trip indoors. So Bethel will play at Bremer Field on a day when the predicted high temperature in seven degrees."

howard_1386278836_bethel2.jpg

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/234617891.html

The field looks like ice, hopefully that is a tarp. I would be at this game if the Gophers were playing, there are ways to keep warm.

The field looks like ice, hopefully that is a tarp. I would be at this game if the Gophers were playing, there are ways to keep warm.

Looks like plow trucks in the background, can you drive machines like that over a tarp without destroying it?

If that is not a tarp and it's the field, this could a fun and dangerous game to play.

I too would be excited as a fan if I was invested in the team.

That came on loan from St.Thomas by the way. Bethel didn't have one.

Those arent plows, those are those round broom like things that brush the snow off the tarp. I would assume the tarp is thick enough to handle those.

Tarp or not...that field is going to be like playing on concrete. Good luck to the Royals tomorrow!

Ya apparently they got a tarp from St. Thomas. Regardless. Someone is going to get hurt on that field on Saturday.

I am a current Bethel student and was one of the people helping to clear the field and yes it will be an interesting /dangerous game to play! As this is the biggest game in the history of Bethel, well-wishes would be appreciated!

Good luck to Bethel.

Football in zero degree weather is possible, so long as the field is okay.

I played in two games at/around that temperature. I was young and dumb and thought I was hard core, so I didn't wear sleeves. It was cold.

Given that the state is paying for the new stadium, is there anyway the state can get the stadium commission to not use the stadium fpr truck rallies etc. during football season including the playoff season?

Given that the state is paying for the new stadium, is there anyway the state can get the stadium commission to not use the stadium fpr truck rallies etc. during football season including the playoff season?

Turn down guaranteed revenue from a sold out monster truck rally (never been, heard they are packed) just in case Bethel can't host a D3 playoff game in front of 3-5,000 people?

That would really upset the "they only use the stadium 10 days a year" crowd if it sat empty.

Turn down guaranteed revenue from a sold out monster truck rally (never been, heard they are packed) just in case Bethel can't host a D3 playoff game in front of 3-5,000 people?

That would really upset the "they only use the stadium 10 days a year" crowd if it sat empty.

I've never been to a monster truck rally, but they pay their rent just like everyone else does. If the MIAC wants to be sure to have an indoor venue, they could have preemptively rented the Metrodome.

Why not play at TCF?!

EDIT: DUMB QUESTION AS I AM SURE THAT IS FULL OF SNOW AS WELL. WHOOPS. :cool:

Why not play at TCF?

EDIT: DUMB QUESTION AS I AM SURE THAT IS FULL OF SNOW AS WELL. WHOOPS. :cool:

Won't be an issue in the future with a heated field and the Vikes playing there.

Monster Truck rallies are a blight on society.:cool02:

I have never been to a monster truck rally and I am pretty sure I never will be.

Good luck to Bethel.

Football in zero degree weather is possible, so long as the field is okay.

I played in two games at/around that temperature. I was young and dumb and thought I was hard core, so I didn't wear sleeves. It was cold.

Luck? They don't need luck; they've got God on their side.

I am a current Bethel student and was one of the people helping to clear the field and yes it will be an interesting /dangerous game to play! As this is the biggest game in the history of Bethel, well-wishes would be appreciated!

Dear current bethel student, bethel played Mount Union in the d3 semifinal game in 2010. That was probably a bigger game IMO. I hope we win tomorrow!

-former BU student

Good to see some other Bethel guys on this board. :cool02:

Ive been a few monster jam's at the dome when I was a kid, (they always used to have it in january or february though), but yes... it's typically a sold out crowd, lot's of
parents bringing their kids. So, the money is there and far exceeds a Bethel football crowd, even in the playoffs.

Dear current bethel student, bethel played Mount Union in the d3 semifinal game in 2010. That was probably a bigger game IMO. I hope we win tomorrow!

-former BU student

BU also advanced to the national semi's in 2007, also against Mount Union.

Coach Johnson is like the Alvarez of D3 football. The trajectory is almost identical in terms of years. Proud program and the student section will be full!

Won't be an issue in the future with a heated field and the Vikes playing there.

I warm heatedly agree. This could actually be a great alternative for the regional HS football playoff/championship games and for the Gophers to earn some cash on an otherwise empty stadium.

Looks like Bethel didn't have a good day, losing 41-17.

I also noticed Mt. Union beat Wesley 62-59. Looking further into it, Mt. Union was up 31-7 after the first quarter and 48-20 at the half. Wesley ended the game with 633 passing yards, 2 rushing yards, and 6 turnovers. The QB threw for 8 TDs and 4 INT. They had five receivers with at least 74 yards receiving, including one guy with 273.

Bethel lost their QB last week and had trouble overcoming it. Granted the backup QB isn't responsible for giving up 41 points but it was going to be a tough game regardless. Better luck next year.

Top Bottom