Shama: Gophers Hoops Schedule Needs a Fix

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

More doable would be a home nonleague schedule anchored by at least two major conference opponents (excluding an ACC team) who have name recognition even if they aren’t among the absolute elites of college basketball. An easy suggestion for part of the plan is to have either Iowa State or Marquette here every year. Playing those neighboring schools at home and away would add a lot of energy to the nonconference schedule.

Dutcher fondly remembers in 1978 and 1980 when his team beat Louisville at Williams Arena and also in Louisville. Playing big time schools excites fans and players. “Your players love it,” Dutcher said. “They want the challenge. They don’t want to beat Mount Whoever, that’s no thrill.”

When Tubby Smith coached the Gophers he didn’t bring top box office teams to Minneapolis. “You gotta decide if you’re trying to build a program or you’re trying to build a record,” Dutcher said. “If you’re trying to build a record you schedule soft. If you’re trying to build a program you accept some challenges.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

When Tubby Smith coached the Gophers he didn’t bring top box office teams to Minneapolis. “You gotta decide if you’re trying to build a program or you’re trying to build a record,” Dutcher said. “If you’re trying to build a record you schedule soft. If you’re trying to build a program you accept some challenges.”

Go Gophers!!

I feel like this will eventually happen. Some of the games this year were already scheduled and other top notch teams had the majority of their schedules in place. Next year, it looks like the gophers will be playing Louisville even though it is not at home.

per Shama:

More doable would be a home nonleague schedule anchored by at least two major conference opponents (excluding an ACC team) who have name recognition even if they aren’t among the absolute elites of college basketball. An easy suggestion for part of the plan is to have either Iowa State or Marquette here every year. Playing those neighboring schools at home and away would add a lot of energy to the nonconference schedule.

Dutcher fondly remembers in 1978 and 1980 when his team beat Louisville at Williams Arena and also in Louisville. Playing big time schools excites fans and players. “Your players love it,” Dutcher said. “They want the challenge. They don’t want to beat Mount Whoever, that’s no thrill.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I would love this team to play home and away series against those border teams. They're good competition, they're winnable games, and they're close by. Even if we don't start a rivalry, which would be very fun, we'd beef up our resume and test our team before Big Ten play. We can still play creampuffs, but let's eliminate two creampuffs for two tough games.

I like the idea of Marquette and/or Iowa St on the schedule. Other teams regionally that might be worth considering are DePaul and Creighton.

I would love to get some big conference midwest schools in here like ISU, KState, Mizzou and maybe do home/home with a west coast school like Stanford, USC or even UNLV.

Basketball isn't like football...we can play better teams and not be screwed by a loss or two...and wins really move our RPI for selection time. If we had at least one regional game and one west coast game home/home each year we would really be upgrading our schedule. Plus it would be nice to travel to those away games. I have really enjoyed the trips to Philly the last couple of years and the NIT Semi/Finals two years ago, Couldn't do Richmond this year because of prior commitments.

Will not miss Louisville if we ever get home/home with them. Louisville is a fun town!

I kind of doubt Marquette is looking to add another high major non-conference foe. They already play UW every year and usually have games against other in-state Wisconsin schools. Not that the other in-state schools are tough, but that is a good portion of their schedule already booked every year. The same is probably true with Iowa State/Iowa? Or do they not play every year?

I kind of doubt Marquette is looking to add another high major non-conference foe. They already play UW every year and usually have games against other in-state Wisconsin schools. Not that the other in-state schools are tough, but that is a good portion of their schedule already booked every year. The same is probably true with Iowa State/Iowa? Or do they not play every year?

To that point, it takes two to tango, and unless another "quality opponent" is interested in playing a non con game with some beef, we are stuck playing against the mid majors who are looking to prove they can play or get paid.... It kind of is what it is....

Iowa/Iowa State/UNI all play each other every year I believe. I think Drake gets involved too.

Shama is spot on. The non-conference schedule for the Gophers has been mostly brutal for years. Building a record is not a viable excuse either. Take the likes of UW or MSU and you can see the dividends it pays in the long haul. As an example, Izzo, albeit with a much better cast of players, isn't afraid of scheduling anybody. And just like this past week, MSU routinely loses these early contests but it makes their team stronger over the long haul while pleasing their fan base. MN can do better and I expect Pitino to make this happen over the next few years.

I expect Pitino to improve the nonconference slate, especially at home, but I won't hold my breath. Have heard it too many times under different coaching and AD regimes. There's always bold talk about improving the nonconference schedule, but it's all rhetoric until proven otherwise. Wait and see mode for me.

I expect Pitino to improve the nonconference slate, but I won't hold my breath. Have heard it too many times under different coaching and AD regimes. There's always bold talk about improving the nonconference schedule, but it's all rhetoric until proven otherwise. Wait and see mode for me.

I think the overall non conference has improved over the past few years as we always seem to seek out a marquee pre season event, which is great exposure for recruiting. In terms of home fans, yep, we need an upgrade. Overall, I'm not upset with the quality, just want one extra marquee home game (excluding ACC event). Marquette would be logical choice. But anyone will do at this point!

One issue with this is the fact that a lot of non conference schools view the barn as a very diffacult place to play. Hard to convince them to come here. You can still have a good non conference schedule without bringing in major schools. Didn't we have a very high RPI last year with our schedule? Dont get me wrong, it would be nice to have some big name schools come here. It's just easier said than done. If you schedule the mid major teams that are good you still get the benefit of a quality opponent.

The 'no one will come to the Barn' excuse is so tired. Do you think anyone's dying to go play in the Kohl Center or Assembly Hall? It can be done. Sure a Kansas or Louisville would be nice. But I think we'd all settle for Kansas State or Cal. The bottom line is they haven't played a non-ACC challenge home game against a BCS conference opponent in years now and it's pretty pathetic.

In a related note, we are now in a period where we go from December 3rd to January 2nd without playing any games of note. Some of this is due to finals, etc. But it just kills the interest of the casual fans, IMO. Swapping SDSU or UNO for even a moderate BCS team would help keep the team from going completely off the radar.

The 'no one will come to the Barn' excuse is so tired. Do you think anyone's dying to go play in the Kohl Center or Assembly Hall? It can be done. Sure a Kansas or Louisville would be nice. But I think we'd all settle for Kansas State or Cal. The bottom line is they haven't played a non-ACC challenge home game against a BCS conference opponent in years now and it's pretty pathetic.

Perfectly stated Howeda, especially the "no one will come to Barn excuse."

Your point still hits the nail on the head, but one minor correction. Since the 2007-08 season (Tubby's 1st year), the Gophers have played a grand total of one major conference (ACC, Big East, Big XII, Pac 12, SEC) non-Challenge opponent at The Barn (USC two seasons ago). For some perspective, in Monson's last (partial) season we doubled that (Iowa State and Arizona State). That's an embarrassing recent history no matter how the athletic department/basketball offices choose to spin it.

In years we host the Challenge, is a season-ticket holder asking for an additional (or maybe 2?) recognizable nonconference home opponent really being all that demanding? This isn't Mary asking George to lasso the moon in It's A Wonderful Life. Just throw us a bone once in awhile; we'll lap it up. As you & Shama pointed out, it doesn't have to be college basketball royalty (Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, etc.). It could be an Oklahoma, Vanderbilt, or Washington, all programs similar to Minnesota. Heck, I'd even jump at the opportunity for a home-and-home with an Oregon State or DePaul, both mostly irrelevant for a long, long time.

Your point still hits the nail on the head, but one minor correction. Since the 2007-08 season (Tubby's 1st year), the Gophers have played a grand total of one major conference (ACC, Big East, Big XII, Pac 12, SEC) non-Challenge opponent at The Barn (USC two seasons ago). For some perspective, in Monson's last (partial) season we doubled that (Iowa State and Arizona State). That's an embarrassing recent history no matter how the athletic department/basketball offices choose to spin it.

Another strike against The Tubster.

I don't follow hockey, but in men's basketball and in football it's very evident that the Athletic Dept. doesn't give a damn about the ticket buying customers. Most of the preseason games at Williams have 8-9K actual butts in the seats and the student section is half full. The place is sufficiently lifeless that they have to pipe in music because scrimmages just aren't that exciting. Kudos to the women's basketball team for playing some real opponents in the preseason.

I think Wichita state would do a home and home. Maybe Creighton, K-State or Missouri. I think even Kansas would play at the barn if we played at their place twice. Like an away, home and away. I also like the home and homes with the A10.

I think Wichita state would do a home and home. Maybe Creighton, K-State or Missouri. I think even Kansas would play at the barn if we played at their place twice. Like an away, home and away. I also like the home and homes with the A10.

Were not a mid major, I wouldn't do the Kansas deal, but I like the other ideas and if Pitino can build the brand up, Kansas would be willing to do a home and home, heck maybe we can play them in the new vikings stadium

Were not a mid major, I wouldn't do the Kansas deal, but I like the other ideas and if Pitino can build the brand up, Kansas would be willing to do a home and home, heck maybe we can play them in the new vikings stadium

Bull. It gets played at The Barn!!!

I don't follow hockey, but in men's basketball and in football it's very evident that the Athletic Dept. doesn't give a damn about the ticket buying customers. Most of the preseason games at Williams have 8-9K actual butts in the seats and the student section is half full. The place is sufficiently lifeless that they have to pipe in music because scrimmages just aren't that exciting. Kudos to the women's basketball team for playing some real opponents in the preseason.

The women's schedule include home games vs the Big XII, SEC, ACC, and PAC-12.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Somebody like St Louis or Dayton would be much better than most of the current non conference schedule.

I think we should schedule games where we recruit.

Not sure we need to get a game with DePaul (we already play in Chicago yearly vs. Northwestern). Not sure we need a game against Marquette (we already play in Wisconsin every year). Not sure we need a game against Iowa State or Creighton (we already play in Iowa and Nebraska every year).

I think we should branch out. It is clear this staff wants to recruit New York City. We should find a game against St. John's or Seton Hall (and eventually we'll hit Rutgers on occasion). We should play a game near Memphis for Andre next year (Memphis, Ole Miss, Middle Tennessee State would all work). Get a return game from one of those the next year. (Ole Miss by the way just had Oregon in their place. If Ole Miss is willing to bring in Oregon and go to Oregon, certainly they would be okay with a trip/return trip to Minnesota). I know Ole Miss isn't exactly the Celtics, but it'd still be an upgrade for a home schedule. And Memphis would be even better, if you can get them. We just signed a kid from Seattle. Let's get a home-and-home with Washington or Gonzaga.

Obviously, a game against a power would be great (Kansas, Duke, UCLA, Louisville, etc). Not sure how I'd feel about Duke coming here with Tyus Jones. But, if Duke was willing to get him a game in his hometown, would you take it in the Barn? I probably would if I'm Pitino.

I'm not sure A-10 home-and-homes are all that great. No way should we have been playing road games at Richmond or St. Joe's. If you're going to risk a road loss, make the risk more worthwhile, in my opinion.

Are you willing to give up a home game?

'Cause that's what it takes to get a better opponent in the Barn. Lesser teams will come for a "buy" game. Anybody we'd be pleased to see is going to require a home and home. Change your scheduling philosophy and book two better teams on alternating home & homes. We get two better games a year, but one less home date. Not sure what the revenue hit would be.
Finding a regular regional opponent would be tough, as most already have in-state rivals on their schedules (Marquette-UW; Iowa State-Iowa; etc.). That means you need to extend the schedule out a ways, as it will likely be a rotating or different pair of teams every year. You also can't predict just how attractive the game will be several years out (unless it's a blue-blood), as middling teams (like us) are up and down. Might be attractive when you book them and stink by the time they come to the barn. All-in-all, I'd love to see the Gopher scheduling philosophy change, but I'm not holding my breath.

'Cause that's what it takes to get a better opponent in the Barn. Lesser teams will come for a "buy" game. Anybody we'd be pleased to see is going to require a home and home. Change your scheduling philosophy and book two better teams on alternating home & homes. We get two better games a year, but one less home date. Not sure what the revenue hit would be.
Finding a regular regional opponent would be tough, as most already have in-state rivals on their schedules (Marquette-UW; Iowa State-Iowa; etc.). That means you need to extend the schedule out a ways, as it will likely be a rotating or different pair of teams every year. You also can't predict just how attractive the game will be several years out (unless it's a blue-blood), as middling teams (like us) are up and down. Might be attractive when you book them and stink by the time they come to the barn. All-in-all, I'd love to see the Gopher scheduling philosophy change, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bingo $$$

Bingo $$$

We need some long-range planning. We can't lower the price on student tickets to build up the future fan base because we're not willing to take the short-term hit. We can't have a better non-conference schedule to build up fan interest because we're not willing to give up one home game. Yet we think we can raise $190 million for facilities. These lines of thinking are disjointed.

We need some long-range planning. We can't lower the price on student tickets to build up the future fan base because we're not willing to take the short-term hit. We can't have a better non-conference schedule to build up fan interest because we're not willing to give up one home game. Yet we think we can raise $190 million for facilities. These lines of thinking are disjointed.

ASC2280.jpg

Aren't there grumblings about another Minnesota school trying to become D1 eligible?

Bingo $$$

That is a factor, but I'm sure we're all aware that these SDSU type games are very poorly attended. If Kansas, UNC, Marquette, or Iowa St. are in town, I'd bet Williams Arena would be packed. They sell more single game tickets for sure, and they'd make a lot more money on concessions thanks to butts being in the seats.

We might lose a little more money than if we played two sparsely attended home games, but it would be worth it. Plus, if we play these teams and prove we can win that would help attendance with all of our games. Then again, winning more games in general would do that too.

Top Bottom