Reusse: Maturi lucked out in hiring his second football coach for Minnesota.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Reusse:

There were Gopher alums pushing for Marc Trestman, then the coach of the Montreal Alouettes, but he had tried for the job previously and had decided to make his stand in pro football. He's now a rookie NFL coach with the Chicago Bears.

After Edsall said no, it came down to Kill and Wisconsin assistant Paul Chryst (now at Pittsburgh). Maturi went with Kill over Chryst, a close friend from Maturi's days in Madison.

Hoke? Not impressed - and neither are the Michigan fans after this mediocre third season in Ann Arbor. Edsall? He went to Maryland one day after UConn's BCS bowl loss to Oklahoma. He's 13-23 overall and 6-18 in the ACC.

Chryst? He's had back-to-back 6-6 regular seasons with Pitt, with a gold star for upsetting Notre Dame last month. Trestman? No matter his excuses, he should have tried to get Robbie Gould a few yards closer before that missed field goal Sunday in the Metrodome.

Everything considered, and with what we've seen from Kill and his staff in this third season, Maturi lucked out in hiring his second football coach for Minnesota.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/PJR_Sometimes_an_AD_is_better_off_lucky_than_looking_good120413

Go Gophers!!

Sorry, Reusse. You don't get to say Maturi was lucky. Since you were one of the many critics who constantly ripped Maturi for everything that went wrong with Gophers sports while he was AD, you are now showing your true partisan hack colors for refusing to give him full credit for something that went right. Jerry Kill will always be a Maturi hire whatever success (or failures) the Gophers football program has while he is coach.

Luck is flowing at the U these days according to Reusse apparently. Teague with Pitino and Maturi with Kill. It's funny, but I've never really thought "boy are we lucky" when it comes to U athletics. But hey, that's just me.

That's a fun game.

Maturi was lucky to be AD when TCF Bank Stadium was built.

He was lucky that Texas Tech kicker made that field goal in 2006 or Jerry Kill wouldn't be the coach today.

He was lucky that Tim Brewster was available or Jerry Kill wouldn't be the coach today.

He was lucky that Tubby Smith fell in his lap then unlucky that Tubby Smith fell in his lap.

This just seems like garbage to me:
- pick a coach who does poorly = bad decision
- pick a coach who shows promise = luck

Seems to me there's a decent element of luck involved in coaching searches.

How do you know the difference between a Dan Hawkins and a Kirk Ferentz? One was fantastic on paper, one wasn't. Whoops.

I am more than willing to hold Maturi accountable for the struggles of our revenue sports programs while he was here (especially when compared to the improvement our neighbor saw during his tenure). That said, its only fair to give him full credit for the Kill hire. He was able to find a coach who was able to quickly build us up to our best conference season in recent memory, despite starting with a floundering program, and was able to sign him for cheap. I think the Kill hire was Maturi's first, second, and third best decision while he was here.

Don't know if those other coaches were able to bring most of their staff with them to they new job or not, but their "success" at those new jobs hasn't been very great. Seems a reasonable column. It's all based around Maturi and Teague not getting those top candidates to sign-on for the job at Minnesota. Kill and Pittino were both on a "list" of potential Head Coaches, but yeah they weren't the first choice by their respected A.D. As both Kill and Claeys have been quoted as saying, they'd LOVE to have some 5 Star kids call and say they're coming to the U, but they aren't going to waste time trying to recruit players that have no interest being here.

Maturi and Teague tried to get some of those "5-Star" Coaches. It didn't work out, but maybe the "3-Stars" they got in Kill and Pittino will. So far, so good. Just hope that Reusse's correct about them turning out to be great hires.

Here's the whole article.

P.J.R.: Sometimes, an AD is better off lucky than looking good

"Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi had fired Tim Brewster on the night of Oct. 16, 2010, after a loss to Purdue put his football team at 1-6. As the season played out with interim coach Jeff Horton (2-3), Maturi worked with Parker Executive Search to come up with a list of candidates.

"We're out to hire a [football version of] Tubby Smith,'' Maturi said of the search.

The regular season ended on Nov. 27. A week later, the Gophers were close to a deal with Connecticut's Randy Edsall to become the next coach.

On the night of Dec. 4, UConn defeated South Florida 19-16 to gain the Big East berth in a BCS bowl game. Some time that day - either before the game or after - Edsall's representatives informed the Gophers that he wasn't taking the job.

Maturi had been in contact with Jerry Kill at Northern Illinois. He called Kill, offered the job and by the night of Dec. 5, the word was out that Kill would be the Minnesota coach.

Norwood Teague, Maturi's replacement, fired the real Tubby Smith on March 26, 2013, one day after the Gophers had lost to Florida in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Teague and Mike Ellis, his assistant AD for basketball, were proud of their coaching connections through the Vista 7 seminars established when they were at Virginia Commonwealth.

"People with knowledge of the situation'' - that's what we say, right? - have stated that Teague and Ellis made up their minds on Tubby during what had become an annual February collapse in the Big Ten and were sending out feelers on a replacement for weeks.

As soon as Smith was fired, Teague was making contact in earnest. There were several rejections and the job was offered to Andy Enfield on the weekend of March 30-31.

Enfield had become a target for major conference teams after taking unheralded Florida Gulf Coast to the Sweet Sixteen. The run ended with a loss to Florida on Friday night, and very soon, Enfield was choosing between Southern Cal and the Gophers.

By the end of the weekend, Enfield had decided on Southern Cal. By Monday, Florida and Billy Donovan were out of the tournament after losing to Michigan in a regional final.

An extremely reliable reporter has offered this account: Teague called his friend Donovan, told him Enfield was out and said, "Who you got for me, Billy?''

The response was something along these lines: "You could try Richard Pitino. He's only been at Florida International for a year, but he's a bright young coach.''

Teague asked for Pitino's number, called and arranged a meeting in a neutral location in Florida. By Thursday, April 4, they had a deal, and the 30-year-old Pitino was being introduced as Tubby's replacement.

Minnesota had put the job out there for San Diego State's Brady Hoke, but he was waiting to see what happened at Michigan, where he had been a well-regarded assistant. What happened was Rich Rodriguez was fired after a bowl game humiliation and Hoke was hired.

There were Gopher alums pushing for Marc Trestman, then the coach of the Montreal Alouettes, but he had tried for the job previously and had decided to make his stand in pro football. He's now a rookie NFL coach with the Chicago Bears.

After Edsall said no, it came down to Kill and Wisconsin assistant Paul Chryst (now at Pittsburgh). Maturi went with Kill over Chryst, a close friend from Maturi's days in Madison.

Hoke? Not impressed - and neither are the Michigan fans after this mediocre third season in Ann Arbor. Edsall? He went to Maryland one day after UConn's BCS bowl loss to Oklahoma. He's 13-23 overall and 6-18 in the ACC.

Chryst? He's had back-to-back 6-6 regular seasons with Pitt, with a gold star for upsetting Notre Dame last month. Trestman? No matter his excuses, he should have tried to get Robbie Gould a few yards closer before that missed field goal Sunday in the Metrodome.

Everything considered, and with what we've seen from Kill and his staff in this third season, Maturi lucked out in hiring his second football coach for Minnesota.

In the early spring of 2013, there's reason to suspect that Teague was so anxious to fire Tubby because he felt there was a chance to get a yes from VCU's Shaka Smart. And if not a yes from him, from Alabama's Anthony Grant, the coach he had hired off Donovan's Florida staff to be VCU's coach in 2006.

No and no. Once he got those rejections, Teague took a run at Fred Hoiberg, earning "The Mayor'' a lucrative contract extension at Iowa State. He offered the job to Flip Saunders, but the pull of his alma mater wasn't as strong as the hint from Glen Taylor that there soon could be a big job for Flip back with the Timberwolves.

We know how that worked out for Saunders.

And then Enfield chose Southern Cal, and Norwood was asking, "Who do you got for me, Billy?'', and it's way early, but so far the Williams Arena faithful couldn't be happier with Rich Pitino, the boy coach Billy had for him.

Everything considered, it appears Teague lucked out with his first important hire for Minnesota."

--PATRICK JAMES REUSSE.

I think we're misunderstanding what Reusse means.

If I want to go left but cannot, so I go right --- that's not skill. That's going a direction by default.

In both of our hires, we didn't get the guy (or the 2nd guy... or the third) that we wanted for the job. Certainly there is some skill involved with the decision-making process but it's not like Jerry Kill was as embraced as Hoke or Edsall would have been initially by the fan base.

I like Reusse, but this is kind of an unnecessary column. Maturi will always be linked--and should be linked with the choice to hire Brewster--but I'm probably the only one who thought the last football coaching search was conducted properly, if somewhat clumsily. Maturi started at the top with Hoke and however Hoke is doing at Michigan, he was the national insider consensus as a guy who was poised to move up. I'm curious to see how he'll do at Michigan when he gets his own guys. Once Golden made a preemptive rejection in advance of an offer, Maturi went to the next tier down and Kill was clearly in that tier.

Is Kill a better coach than Edsall? Who knows? I'm glad we got Kill. I think his track record shows he can turn programs around and that is precisely what we needed. The next step up will depend upon recruiting and I'm optimistic Kill can land the skilled position players we need to succeed.

Maturi may have had his faults, but he made a good choice when he selected this head coach. If he is the devil, then give the devil his due.

If I want to go left but cannot, so I go right --- that's not skill. That's going a direction by default.

In both of our hires, we didn't get the guy (or the 2nd guy... or the third) that we wanted for the job. Certainly there is some skill involved with the decision-making process but it's not like Jerry Kill was as embraced as Hoke or Edsall would have been initially by the fan base.

It doesn't matter whether Kill was Maturi's 1st, or 5th, or 85th choice. He still gets credit for selecting him over any number of other qualified candidates.

It doesn't matter whether Kill was Maturi's 1st, or 5th, or 85th choice. He still gets credit for selecting him over any number of other qualified candidates.

You're dead on. This dance that some people want to do about "oh gee,we got our fifth choice" is mind-blowing. We have no way of knowing for sure who (or how many people) were really considered ( a phone call doesn't always equal consideration) but it doesn't matter. He hired Kill and should be credited for it, thus far.

It really doesn't matter if he was lucky, but it's hard to say that coaching search was handled well. From uttering 'Tubby Smith-like hire' to getting busted on a commercial fight to San Diego to clearly getting backed out on by Edsall so everyone knew Kill wasn't the first choice. But it's true there are still other choices he could have made and he chose Kill.

Agree entirely. It's not 'luck' that your first battery of choices weren't available or declined the offer, its reality. And while there is always a bit of an unknown when you hire anyone for any position whether they succeed in their new environment or not, their success or failure isn't luck either, its a product of many variables. It's also reasonable to assume that Maturi learned something from hiring Brewster (like not offering the job to a guy who had zero head coaching experience at a any level), thereby increasing his chance to succeed with his 2nd football hire.

Luck is for children, Pat. Managing probabilities is how professionals handle 'luck'. Even Maturi.

^ Winner

The point of the article is that Maturi was lucky (and by extension so are we) that Maturi wasn't able to get the other guys he wanted, and had to settle for Kill, who has turned out to be a big success.

Luck has nothing to do with anything.

Maturi did his research on available candidates and Kill was next in line.

We will never know how any of the coaches would have done at Minnesota. Coach Kill has a solid resume that seemed to fit well with our situation and was probably better suited that others.

Luck? No. It's all about what a new coach does with the situation when hired, the available resources, etc. builds from there, and installs his system. Coach Kill seems very well adapted to those situations and was up to the huge task he signed on to in trying to turn the Gopher program around. So far, so good..

Here is my question. How many schools actually get their first choice? Everyone acts like only Minnesota has to settle for their 5th choice. I am pretty certain that Hoke was not Michigan's first choice. Wasn't Les Miles offered the job? I am sure a few others were as well.

With regards to Kill being a luck hire vs Pitino. Time will only tell. But Maturi does not get the luxury of me not thinking luck was involved. He has screwed up way too many times before, and handled things too poorly in the department. Not only just hires, but handling firing coaches. Not firing coaches because of their connections, to his handeling of ruining game day atmospheres for different sports. And also for his wasting of hundreds of thousands of dollars to hire a hack from Wisconsin to come in and establish a "plan" for the department that lasted maybe a year after that plan was put in place. Just a total mess he was for this school.

Seems to me there's a decent element of luck involved in coaching searches.

How do you know the difference between a Dan Hawkins and a Kirk Ferentz? One was fantastic on paper, one wasn't. Whoops.

If you can't tell the difference between Tim Brewster and Jerry Kill then you probably believe in luck. The reality is that hiring the right person is a skill that most people don't possess. Each job search may require finding a coach with a different set of skills and attributes. Once you identify what they are you then need to identify the candidates that meet these requirements.

It is part science and part art. The part art is what some people may call luck, but it is really being able to process all the information correctly to end up with the right decision. That not easy. That is also one of the reasons why they have search committees. Committees have their own set of problems.

How can it be this hard to understand? If we had gotten the guy we wanted, odds are we would not be in as good of shape. That's lucky, and it's no indictment of Maturi to say so.

He has screwed up way too many times before, and handled things too poorly in the department.

Do you work in the department? I have heard Maturi did a good job maybe he didn't do well with the high profile aspect of his position but overall a good job.

But Maturi does not get the luxury of me not thinking luck was involved. He has screwed up way too many times before, and handled things too poorly in the department. Not only just hires, but handling firing coaches. Not firing coaches because of their connections, to his handeling of ruining game day atmospheres for different sports. And also for his wasting of hundreds of thousands of dollars to hire a hack from Wisconsin to come in and establish a "plan" for the department that lasted maybe a year after that plan was put in place. Just a total mess he was for this school.

In other words, everything Maturi does is either bad or luck. If he puts his shoes on the correct feet, it's simply luck. I get that you're still mad at Maturi, but just because he did some things wrong, or even many things, doesn't mean that he did everything wrong.

An extremely reliable reporter has offered this account: Teague called his friend Donovan, told him Enfield was out and said, "Who you got for me, Billy?''
[/I]

Reliable? Must have been Doogie.

Hours before Steve Sarkisian was announced as the new Head Coach at USC Chris Petersen and Kevin Sumlin released statements saying they had "taken themselves out of the running" for the job.

Wonder how many Trojan fans started screaming about getting their "3rd or 4th" choice. :cool:

I agree with you 100%. The way I read it was Maturi is lucky that Kill has panned out. I read it as a compliment to Kill.

I agree with you 100%. The way I read it was Maturi is lucky that Kill has panned out. I read it as a compliment to Kill.

Reusse was complimenting Kill and diminishing Maturi at the same time. Nothing could be more clear. It is all part of the irrational hatred of Maturi that continues to exist almost on a daily basis in the local sports media and sports message boards. The haters want it both ways. They blame Maturi for everything that went wrong while he was AD while giving him zero credit for anything that went right.

Do you work in the department? I have heard Maturi did a good job maybe he didn't do well with the high profile aspect of his position but overall a good job.

I worked in the Athletics department for 5 years when Maturi was AD. He is very nice, and very nice to work for. He actually seems to care about everyone involved. But that does not make you a good AD. When it came to tough decisions, he did not seem to get the job done.

As others have stated, I do not think it is lucky to have a solid coach in line as the third, fourth, fifth option or beyond. It shows that you had a solid list of candidates, and went through the list methodically. Both Maturi and Teague displayed this in their respective hires.

I did not become anti-Maturi until the end, but I think the Kill hire shows that he learned from previous mistakes. He had a list of good options, and eventually came to Kill. Previously, he showed he would roll the dice on someone like Brewster. It proved to be a mistake, but he did not repeat that mistake, and that much should be recognized.

Exactly.

How many schools actually get their first choice? Doesn't take a search firm insider to tell you the answer is probably not many. You'd better have a good list of candidates ready. Kill was on the list. Maturi gets credit.

Even if you believe the report that Teague called Donovan after Enfield turned us down, not anyone can call one of the best coaches in the country with that kind of question. If Donovan did in fact lead us to Pitino, you still have to give him credit for having the connections to use Donovan as a resource.

None of either of the above scenarios is luck.

In one instance an AD hired a search firm who had Kill as one of their top qualified candidates.

In the other instance an AD used a connection to a future hall of fame coach that he had developed, mind you, as an AD at a non-power conference school, to lead us to a bright young coaching mind with a great pedigree.

Neither of these two decisions is lucky.

Top Bottom