Souhan: Richard Pitino making favorable impression

station19

Reaction score
"It was Richard Pitino’s first big date with Williams Arena, and once he was in the right mood, he began taking off his clothes.

With about six minutes left in the Gophers’ game against Florida State on Tuesday night, Pitino ripped off his jacket, throwing it to the bench in what was almost certainly an unintentional homage to Clem Haskins’ wardrobe-shredding antics. With less than five minutes left, he ripped off his tie."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/234350671.html?page=1&c=y

I thought it was a fairly lame column, but it did bring up an interesting question. How much undressing could a coach do and not get penalized somehow? Is there a rule about that? There's potential here for a scene in a Naked Gun-style movie, where every time you see the coach, he's one article lighter.

There's potential here for a scene in a Naked Gun-style movie, where every time you see the coach, he's one article lighter.

If it's going to be a habit I believe the student section should be involved.

I love a coach who seems to express emotion and fight for his players. I was getting sick of the deer in the headlights look from the previous one when people like Colt were getting screwed game after game.

More importantly:

Souhan said Pitino out-coached the veteran FS coach. I agree.

He also predicted that Pitino will be more fun losing than Bo Ryan winning.
I also agree.

A rare day when Souhan actually gets to (eventually) the sports analysis.

I don't like Souhan, but what a nice article! I thought it was interesting what EE said about watching film to prepare for an opponent. Loved when Clem took off his jacket. Maybe?

I love a coach who seems to express emotion and fight for his players. I was getting sick of the deer in the headlights look from the previous one when people like Colt were getting screwed game after game.

The Jacket throw was cool, but the Tie throw and tantrum after it was the best. If anybody was at the game my entire area in the student section started loving it and was rooting it on.

Also, for the poster who said the students should get involved, I would love it if the barnyard had someone dress up in a suit and slowly throw his clothes until he was just wearing boxers/briefs or barely any clothes, whatever works best

Don't understand all the Souhan bashing on this forum. He made a couple comments that were over the top in his Kill column awhile back, but generally I think he is fair. He isn't paid to be a Gopher shill. He is paid to offer an opinion as a columnist.

This column was clearly very favorable towards Pitino. I agree -- I thought he had a very solid game last night.

The Jacket throw was cool, but the Tie throw and tantrum after it was the best. If anybody was at the game my entire area in the student section started loving it and was rooting it on.

Also, for the poster who said the students should get involved, I would love it if the barnyard had someone dress up in a suit and slowly throw his clothes until he was just wearing boxers/briefs or barely any clothes, whatever works best

His? ;)

Don't understand all the Souhan bashing on this forum. He made a couple comments that were over the top in his Kill column awhile back, but generally I think he is fair. He isn't paid to be a Gopher shill. He is paid to offer an opinion as a columnist.

This column was clearly very favorable towards Pitino. I agree -- I thought he had a very solid game last night.

People on this message board are crazed about Souhan and Reusse because they aren't huge fans of the gophers. They shouldn't be and, yes, there is much that is worthy of criticism. I don't happen to care for Souhan's corny jokes and his opening line in this morning's column was lame. However, it was a good column, as many of them are. Reusse spends too much time talking about the old days, but he excels at exposing the bulls**t that is thrown at the average fan by most sports teams, pro and college. I would much prefer to read their columns than a steady litany of puff pieces.

"It was Richard Pitino’s first big date with Williams Arena, and once he was in the right mood, he began taking off his clothes.

With about six minutes left in the Gophers’ game against Florida State on Tuesday night, Pitino ripped off his jacket, throwing it to the bench in what was almost certainly an unintentional homage to Clem Haskins’ wardrobe-shredding antics. With less than five minutes left, he ripped off his tie."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/234350671.html?page=1&c=y

I read this in the paper. This confirms my belief that Tubby was going through the motions here. Eliason's statement is a huge indictment of Tubby. Tubby skated on his name here. He has national name recognition and respect, but he was not a good coach here. He was average. His game planning was subpar, which has now been confirmed by players, and his player development was terrible.

Keep up the good work Pitino. We need a real coach.

People on this message board are crazed about Souhan and Reusse because they aren't huge fans of the gophers. They shouldn't be and, yes, there is much that is worthy of criticism. I don't happen to care for Souhan's corny jokes and his opening line in this morning's column was lame. However, it was a good column, as many of them are. Reusse spends too much time talking about the old days, but he excels at exposing the bulls**t that is thrown at the average fan by most sports teams, pro and college. I would much prefer to read their columns than a steady litany of puff pieces.

Reusse is excellent, and he's almost always right. People on this Web site are often too big of rubes to care though.

In the immortal words of Ted Striker, "Surely you can't be serious." A couple of comments? How about accusing Kill of lying? How about that dipsh*t's column about how the best thing for the U to do would be to now bring back Glen Mason to salvage the program? There's more on top of that totally despicable column after the seizure. He can give his opinion. We can give ours also. He sucks!

Reusse is the best writer in the Twin Cities market...when he wants to be. He lobs out some lazy troll pieces at times, but overall he's very talented.

Souhan made some really inappropriate comments re: Kill and epilepsy. His column was derided on a national level and, in that case, the vitriol from Gopher fans was warranted. Beyond that, I tend to believe he's just a hack who could never cut it on a larger level and his pieces are generally pretty indolent.

Really, though, if you don't like it, don't read it. It isn't their job to be cheerleaders.

In the immortal words of Ted Striker, "Surely you can't be serious." A couple of comments? How about accusing Kill of lying? How about that dipsh*t's column about how the best thing for the U to do would be to now bring back Glen Mason to salvage the program? There's more on top of that totally despicable column after the seizure. He can give his opinion. We can give ours also. He sucks!

Actually I am serious. I'll agree with you that can offer up any opinion on Souhan that you want. However, you will need to point me in the direction of the lying and Glen Mason references that you speak of. His comparison of Big Ten wins to number of seizures was in very poor taste. I think he probably regrets that comment. But the article was actually more negative toward Teague's "lack of leadership" in dealing with the issue than it was toward Kill. You might also want to go back and listen to the Podcasts that occurred after Souhan met with Kill that week. He was extremely complimentary of Kill.

As other posters pointed out....I'm more bothered by the "hammer all columnists" sentiment exhibited on this board just because something is written that you don't agree with. It's a childish mentality and doesn't recognize the purpose for which these columns are written.

EDIT: found the hire Glen Mason column. I don't believe that I read that one when it was written initially. I don't find that column particularly outrageous either (particularly at the time it was written). Many people feel that way about Glen Mason.

Reusse is the best writer in the Twin Cities market...when he wants to be. He lobs out some lazy troll pieces at times, but overall he's very talented.

Souhan made some really inappropriate comments re: Kill and epilepsy. His column was derided on a national level and, in that case, the vitriol from Gopher fans was warranted. Beyond that, I tend to believe he's just a hack who could never cut it on a larger level and his pieces are generally pretty indolent.

Really, though, if you don't like it, don't read it. It isn't their jobs to be cheerleaders.

Good analysis. Reusse is definitely the best when he's on his game.

Really, though, if you don't like it, don't read it. It isn't their jobs to be cheerleaders.

+1

The derogatory articles in the Strib by Soupcan and Reusse are exceeded only by "comments from Gopher fans" on the Game Day Threads on GopherHole during a Gopher game.

However, you will need to point me in the direction of the lying and Glen Mason references that you speak of.

Nov. 20 / 3:54 p.m. Tweet

What's interesting about these nat'l stories on Kill is that he was lying to reporters, maybe bosses about improved conditions this summer

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?50681-Souhan-tweets-that-Kill-is-a-liar

Oct. 11, 2013 Star Tribune column:

Kaler and Teague can’t be trusted to manage this difficult situation or to make a strong hire if Kill walks away at the end of the season. There is only one person in town who knows what it takes to win — or to lose less — at Minnesota, and he is available.

Kaler and Teague should admit their shortcomings and hire Glen Mason as their football czar.

Maybe Mason becomes the interim head coach. Maybe he becomes the long-term coach. Maybe he becomes the U’s football athletic director. Maybe he becomes a one-man search committee for Kill’s replacement.

They should leave it up to him. He’s far more qualified to handle any of those jobs than they are.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/227323811.html

Actually I am serious. I'll agree with you that can offer up any opinion on Souhan that you want. However, you will need to point me in the direction of the lying and Glen Mason references that you speak of. His comparison of Big Ten wins to number of seizures was in very poor taste. I think he probably regrets that comment. But the article was actually more negative toward Teague's "lack of leadership" in dealing with the issue than it was toward Kill. You might also want to go back and listen to the Podcasts that occurred after Souhan met with Kill that week. He was extremely complimentary of Kill.

As other posters pointed out....I'm more bothered by the "hammer all columnists" sentiment exhibited on this board just because something is written that you don't agree with. It's a childish mentality and doesn't recognize the purpose for which these columns are written.

EDIT: found the hire Glen Mason column. I don't believe that I read that one when it was written initially. I don't find that column particularly outrageous either (particularly at the time it was written). Many people feel that way about Glen Mason.
Are you Soupcan's publicist?

Nov. 20 / 3:54 p.m. Tweet

What's interesting about these nat'l stories on Kill is that he was lying to reporters, maybe bosses about improved conditions this summer

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?50681-Souhan-tweets-that-Kill-is-a-liar

Oct. 11, 2013 Star Tribune column:

Kaler and Teague can’t be trusted to manage this difficult situation or to make a strong hire if Kill walks away at the end of the season. There is only one person in town who knows what it takes to win — or to lose less — at Minnesota, and he is available.

Kaler and Teague should admit their shortcomings and hire Glen Mason as their football czar.

Maybe Mason becomes the interim head coach. Maybe he becomes the long-term coach. Maybe he becomes the U’s football athletic director. Maybe he becomes a one-man search committee for Kill’s replacement.

They should leave it up to him. He’s far more qualified to handle any of those jobs than they are.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/227323811.html

Man, Maximus, reading that again and I'm still astounded he wrote it. Oh my gosh.

Thanks Maximus.

I did edit my post five minutes before you posted because I did read the Mason article (for the first time). It doesn't change my opinion however. Glen Mason has more fans now than he did when he was coach. Looking back, he did a very good job here.

Regarding the comment about lying....hard to say. I'm not going to pretend that I know how his condition improved or deteriorated over the summer.

Thanks Maximus.

I did edit my post five minutes before you posted because I did read the Mason article (for the first time). It doesn't change my opinion however. Glen Mason has more fans now than he did when he was coach. Looking back, he did a very good job here.

Regarding the comment about lying....hard to say. I'm not going to pretend that I know how his condition improved or deteriorated over the summer.

And so comes to conclusion a pissing contest. Good work guys.

And so comes to conclusion a pissing contest. Good work guys.

So offering an opinion on a bleeping message board that contradicts a previous opinion is now by definition a "pissing contest?" Interesting...

No worries dude. Souhan's got you covered on pretending he knew what Kill's condition was during the summer.

No worries dude. Souhan's got you covered on pretending he knew what Kill's condition was during the summer.

If you are right and he truly had no more information than you or I.....then I would take a giant step closer to the opinion that others have about him. That would be really pathetic to tweet something like that. It is possible, however, that Souhan may have more information. We really have no idea.

Top Bottom