Post-Game (FSU)

GameDay

Reaction score
Florida State by far had the toughest result of the season tonight at the hands of the Gophers, even after beating or nearly beating VCU, Michigan, and Florida. This win was big-time.
So...
1) I thought everyone stepped up and contributed tonight! (Even Buggs)
2) Our defense is scrappy, and we took a less aggressive approach to the press which I really liked. We weren't getting beat down the floor as much.
3) Mo Walker still has to work on his game, and ball sense. He must learn to finish (even when fouled) when he is 1-2 feet away from the rim.
4) Joey King scrapped tonight hard and got some good rebounds. Loved the effort!
5) Great coaching
6) Limited turnovers. That is huge!

*Hope we continue this momentum! Thoughts?

Turnovers look reallyyyyyy good. I wonder when the last time we had 6 or fewer turnovers against a real team was?

Big W for the Gophers tonight. Having Mo and EE foul out and having King move to the 5 makes me nervous. I wish we had some more height on the bench but we've got to deal with the cards that we were dealt. I'm looking forward being 11-2 going into the Conference schedule.

Great effort tonight and a good win.

I wonder how many more free throws across division 1 are being attempted this year compared to last. Some of those calls were pretty ridiculous both ways. Ed can't retire fast enough.

I think Ellenson just gets too out of control when he plays. He takes bad shots, and it just seems like he is trying to do something good on the offensive side so he can stay in the game. He needs to just relax and play within the system. This isn't High School ball where certain players can just do whatever they want.

I didn't realize Leonard Hamilton is 65 years old. I assumed he was in his mid to late 50's. Good for him.

Really big and encouraging win. Nice step in the right direction. The tournament is that much more realistic now. Just finish out the non-conference schedule without any hiccups and I'll be feeling good.

It's a solid starting lineup including a superstar, with several or more capable backups ready off of the bench. I could see this team breaking .500 in the B1G, as long as bad things (i.e., injuries) stay away.

FSU appears to be a nice team who is better than their 3-loss record. Gophers outplayed them tonight, and represented the B1G nicely, even if Ed Hightower didn't (again). Thought Pitino coached a great game and the guys made some clutch shots when the pressure was on to keep the lead late, which is perhaps the most promising aspect - seemed under Tubby they tended to lose a lot of these close games, largely due to nobody being able to make a basket under pressure. Mathieu and Dre appeared more than ready to be clutch performers tonight.

FSU will make some noise this year. A great change in gameplay over the Arkansas and much of the Chaminade games.

I feel bad for Mav losing his tooth, but dentistry is good these days, he'll be fine. He may deserve more playing time, IMO; he's been doing a lot of nice things on the court in limited playing time, including hustle plays like the one he lost his tooth on.

Really big and encouraging win. Nice step in the right direction. The tournament is that much more realistic now. Just finish out the non-conference schedule without any hiccups and I'll be feeling good.

Important point.

Here's Josh Martin's reaction to the win tonight: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I like that defense <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> way to beat Florida St. I knew I made the right decision ;)</p>— Josh (HULK) Martin (@JoshMartin_206) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoshMartin_206/statuses/408097608108736512">December 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think Ellenson just gets too out of control when he plays. He takes bad shots, and it just seems like he is trying to do something good on the offensive side so he can stay in the game. He needs to just relax and play within the system. This isn't High School ball where certain players can just do whatever they want.

I think that's at least the 6th three pointer I've seen blocked down into the back of Ellenson's head in a year and change.......

Was this Pitino's first dose of Ed Hightower? He didn't seem to like it much at all.

This place is like a YO YO.... Up and Down and Up and Down and Up and Down.

lets not get too high after a nice win against a non conference opponent at home with multiple days to prepare. Not trying to be a debbie downer, but the saying goes "you're never as great as you are when you are at your best and your never as bad as you are when you are at your worst"

We don't know if that was our best performance or our standard performance, too small a sample size, and we likely wont find out until Big 10 Play starts.

Here's Josh Martin's reaction to the win tonight: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I like that defense <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> way to beat Florida St. I knew I made the right decision ;)</p>— Josh (HULK) Martin (@JoshMartin_206) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoshMartin_206/statuses/408097608108736512">December 4, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That winky face .... what does it mean!

Was at game - lots of energy and pretty big crowd. Student section was almost full - great to see!

The Hollins' put on a show

We can beat a lot of teams when the Hollins' combine for 37 pts, 8 reb, 6ass, 5 stls, 2 blks, and commit only 2 turnovers!

Encouraged by Mo playing with a little fire and getting 4 offensive rebounds in just 17 minutes. He does need to learn to finish, maybe aim for the back board that way when your fouled its at least on the rim.

We shot it bad from inside the arc-34%, no post up game. Shot 43% 7-16 from 3. Also hit 28 free throws to FSU's 19. We were more aggresive and the Hollins' were on from 3. When those two ingredients are there we can play with very good teams.

FSU averages 8 stls per game and I am sure they force at least 15 to's per game, cannot find a stat. Only commiting 6 to's and giving up 2 steals against a long team is impressive.

Love little Dre but as he gains experience hopefully he will learn to pull it back on the break when it's 1 on 3. Also love that Buggs got a few minutes. Love Mav's hustle, do not love when he is the primary ball handler as it seemed he was ready to turn it over at any second.

Amazing that King can get you 8 pts and 4 reb in just 15 minutes.

I was very incouraged with our energy and play.
One coaching improvement i would have liked would have been to "box and one" Ian Miller, or just make sure he cannot drive coast to coast play after play.

1) I thought everyone stepped up and contributed tonight! (Even Buggs)
2) Our defense is scrappy, and we took a less aggressive approach to the press which I really liked. We weren't getting beat down the floor as much.
3) Mo Walker still has to work on his game, and ball sense. He must learn to finish (even when fouled) when he is 1-2 feet away from the rim.
4) Joey King scrapped tonight hard and got some good rebounds. Loved the effort!
5) Great coaching
6) Limited turnovers. That is huge!

*Hope we continue this momentum! Thoughts?

Solid team win over a team that should be pretty good and I would think a tourney team. Impressed by the way we responded and did a good job rebounding considering the size of Florida State. I really liked the way our bigs played tonight on both ends of the floor, I thought Florida State would really hurt us inside but it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be. Essential to finish out the non-conference schedule strong and not stummble at all before B1G play.

Was at game - lots of energy and pretty big crowd. Student section was almost full - great to see!

The students we're great! The late start and the snow scared the right people away from the game. I was able to get seats 9 rows back near the FT line for a good price against a quality opponent. I would like more 8:30-9pm games it changes the whole demographic of the crowd.

I saw on twitter that they had 20 students in animal costumes which is apparently a lot more than usual. So I am not surprised the student section was rocking.

I'm sure someone addressed this somewhere else, but I do not get ESPNU on my cable package, but the cable company (mediacom) does allow you to stream the game for free through ESPN3/ESPNU. I could not get the game to stream at all. It would just sit and load and load and load. It has worked previously for games, but for some reason did not last night. Did anyone else encounter similar problems?

2dgvvkl.png

A. Hollins had a solid game all-around, folks.

I'm sure someone addressed this somewhere else, but I do not get ESPNU on my cable package, but the cable company (mediacom) does allow you to stream the game for free through ESPN3/ESPNU. I could not get the game to stream at all. It would just sit and load and load and load. It has worked previously for games, but for some reason did not last night. Did anyone else encounter similar problems?

I had that same issue. Couldn't get the game to load on WatchESPN. What I ended up doing is going to the ESPN home page. They have "watch live" options in their main screen (where they usually have the top CBB article). I clicked on the watch live option for ESPNU and was able to stream the Gopher game that way.

Sorry I wasn't on the forums to be helpful last night, but maybe you'll be able to use this in the future!

Had that problem on my laptop, but it came right up on my iPad.

But Deandre Hollins had a better game.

My favorite part was just as the 2nd half was starting, the announcer was saying what a great job DeAndre Hollins was doing, then the name Austin Hollins flashed across the screen, and then they showed all the highlights of Andre Hollins.

Coming into the season, all we heard about was that Pitino-ball wouldn't work against the bigger, better teams. Well we just beat a good ACC team who started 6'3", 6'7", 6'9", 6'9", 7'3".

My favorite part was just as the 2nd half was starting, the announcer was saying what a great job DeAndre Hollins was doing, then the name Austin Hollins flashed across the screen, and then they showed all the highlights of Andre Hollins.

If i was more tech savy or a social media honk I would have tweeted that as a the trifecta of E!SPN douchbaggery....

Coming into the season, all we heard about was that Pitino-ball wouldn't work against the bigger, better teams. Well we just beat a good ACC team who started 6'3", 6'7", 6'9", 6'9", 7'3".

My favorite part of the ESPN article:

Florida State won the warm-ups. The chiseled wings and forwards that head coach Leonard Hamilton hauled from Tallahassee looked like tight ends he’d plucked off his university’s football team compared to the slim, undersized Gophers.

Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebask.../gophers-having-fun-in-richard-petinos-system

His full name is DeAndre Austin Hollins.

One thing I noticed that maybe I am overlooking somehow has to do with the press. Did anyone else notice that in the backcourt the two players that came to trap the ball were very very slow to get there? I mean it was obviously slow like it was somehow intentional. Is this part of the press in some way? It just seemed like the ball handler had an easy pass to either guy on the sidelines and from there it was a 4-3 break.

I've been on this press thing since the season started because I LOVE pressure defense so maybe I'm just looking for the negative pieces sub consciously. Just want to know if anyone else noticed that.

One thing I noticed that maybe I am overlooking somehow has to do with the press. Did anyone else notice that in the backcourt the two players that came to trap the ball were very very slow to get there? I mean it was obviously slow like it was somehow intentional. Is this part of the press in some way? It just seemed like the ball handler had an easy pass to either guy on the sidelines and from there it was a 4-3 break.

I've been on this press thing since the season started because I LOVE pressure defense so maybe I'm just looking for the
negative pieces sub consciously. Just want to know if anyone else noticed that.

I'm not sure why, but I noticed the same thing. I know they have several versions of each of their presses. Only a guess, but maybe it was by design after getting torched by Arkansas in the second half. It would potentially have FSU break the press closer to half court and therefore more tentative or satisfied with just getting it across instead of steamrolling down the court at our bigs like AK did. Also a slower/shorter break would allow our guards to more easily catch up to the ball. Such a strategy could also conserve some energy for our guys.

Top Bottom