My Big 10 Power Rankings

Section 109 Row 8-Middle
Reaction score
Here is my ranking. This ranking is based upon the teams strength at this point in time. I think MN is a better team now than Iowa is. Maybe we should jump teams this year in bowl selection.

1) MSU
2) Ohio State
3) Wisconsin
4) Minnesota
5) Iowa
6) Penn State
7) Nebraska
8) Michigan
9) Indiana
10) NW
11) Ill
12) Purdue

Here is my ranking. This ranking is based upon the teams strength at this point in time. I think MN is a better team now than Iowa is. Maybe we should jump teams this year in bowl selection.

1) MSU
2) Ohio State
3) Wisconsin
4) Minnesota
5) Iowa
6) Penn State
7) Nebraska
8) Michigan
9) Indiana
10) NW
11) Ill
12) Purdue
Would love to agree with you, but given that Iowa beat us pretty easily, and thrashed Nebraska at Neb and beat Mich, we probably would only get this vote in MN.

Maybe it is posted somewhere else but I caught Mason and Rackley last nite on BTN something......they both had:

1. OSU
2. Mich St
3. Wisconsin
4. Iowa
5. Minnesota

1) MSU
2) Ohio State
3) Wisconsin
4) Minnesota
5) Iowa
6) Penn State
7) Nebraska
8) Michigan
9) Indiana
10) NW
11) Ill
12) Purdue

How can you have Iowa behind Minnesota?

Iowa beat Minnesota with relative ease on the road
Iowa had a 4-1 Legends record. Minnesota was 2-3
Iowa had a 5-3 Big Ten record. Minnesota was 4-4
Iowa had to play Ohio State (lost/tied in the 4th), Minnesota didn't and they still had a better conference record.

You also can't put a team with a loss over a team that has a 24 game win streak just because you feel like it.

This is closer. And possibly the most accurate.

1. OSU
2. Mich St
3. Wisconsin
4. Iowa
5. Minnesota

Look for...

1. OSU
2. Minnesota
3. MSU
4. Wisconsin
5. Michigan

...next year

1) MSU
2) Ohio State
3) Wisconsin
4) Minnesota
5) Iowa
6) Penn State
7) Nebraska
8) Michigan
9) Indiana
10) NW
11) Ill
12) Purdue

To echo most of the others that have posted so far, no way you can't put OSU #1 (24 game win streak) and also Iowa would have to be ranked ahead of us for all the reasons cited by others. I would probably rank it like this

OSU
MSU
WIS
***Big Gap****
Iowa
Minnesota
Nebraska
***Small Gap***
Penn State
Michigan
Indiana
***Small Gap***
Northwestern
Illinois
Purdue

My thinking about Iowa is this: 1) The team that they beat with such ease improved tremendously from the Iowa game to the Wisconsin and Michigan State games. 2) I watched Iowa-Wisconsin and MN-Wisconsin and we played Wisconsin much better than Iowa did. 3) I think if we played Iowa at the end of the season we would beat them.

My thinking about Iowa is this: 1) The team that they beat with such ease improved tremendously from the Iowa game to the Wisconsin and Michigan State games. 2) I watched Iowa-Wisconsin and MN-Wisconsin and we played Wisconsin much better than Iowa did. 3) I think if we played Iowa at the end of the season we would beat them.

Iowa also improved throughout the season. They finished the season with 3 straight wins while we finished with two losses. Power rankings would give Iowa the edge based on that and the better conference record. I'm plenty happy that we were a top half team this season. Next year we could be above both Iowa and Wisconsin, but we aren't quite there yet.

I get being biased and maybe we would do better against them the second time around but comparing the Wisconsin games and using that to support your reasoning is weak. Both offenses got their butts kicked by Wisconsin. We didn't score on offense and they were held to 3 field goals. Wisconsin beat them by more total points then us but the game was 14 to 9 going into the 4th before Wisconsin pulled away.

In the end Iowa lost to 3 potential BCS bowl schools (Northern Illinois, MSU, OSU) and also to a very good Wisconsin team. Combining that with what they did to us head to head I just don't see a way that we could be ranked above them in a season ending power ranking.

I was right about 1-3 at a minimum.

1) MSU
2) OSU
3) WIS
4) IOWA
5) MN
6) NEB
7) MICH
8) PSU
9) INDY
10) NW
11) ILL