Q&A: Sophomore Amir Coffey Talks Gophers, Recruiting and Goal of Winning State Title

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Sophomore Amir Coffey Talks Gophers, Recruiting and Goal of Winning State Title

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/315534?referrer_id=388419

Amir Coffey, a 6-5 sophomore wing from Hopkins, is considered the top in-state prospect in the Class of 2016. Coffey, who recently returned from an injury that kept him sidelined for nearly three months, received a scholarship offer from Minnesota this summer.

Gopher Hole.com caught up with Amir to learn the latest on his early recruitment.

Gopher Hole: How glad are you to be back out on the court ready for your sophomore season?

Amir Coffey: I am very glad. It is good to be back playing with the team and I am happy to get the season started off.

Gopher Hole: You played a lot in the Minnetonka Fall League. What are the expectations for Hopkins this season?

Amir Coffey: Nothing less than the state championship. We have very high expectations at Hopkins and we didn’t win it last year and Hopkins is usually up there. We want a state championship.

Gopher Hole: Hopkins is almost always in the state tournament, but last year, you were knocked off in the section finals in a heartbreaker to Edina. Is that even more of a motivating factor?

Amir Coffey: Definitely. Last year, everyone was saying that we were in a drought and we weren’t like the previous Hopkins teams. That is definitely a motivator to get back to where we were before or even be better than that. To get it all back and win state would be all good.

Gopher Hole: I think that I saw that you are ranked fourth in the country in the Class of 2016 by Scout. When did you hear about that and what was your reaction?

Amir Coffey: I heard that a couple of months ago. I was happy that all that work is paying off. Just got to stay humble with it, but I was excited.

Gopher Hole: Does that motivate you even more because when your opponents are reading that you are the #4 player, they are going to want to shut you down?

Amir Coffey: It motivates me a lot to even work harder. Coming for that number one spot, so you have to work even harder than you were before.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your recruitment? How many offers do you have right now?

Amir Coffey: I am at six right now. I have been on the phone with a couple of coaches and they were coming up to open gym. It has been the same for a couple of months now.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to go to any college games so far this fall?

Amir Coffey: Not yet. I haven’t been to any college games.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to try to get some Gopher games soon?

Amir Coffey: Definitely. Definitely. Hometown. It is close. Why not?

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the coaching staff at the U?

Amir Coffey: Just keeping in touch with them. Talking and keeping in touch.

Gopher Hole: Do you like the recruitment process? I know that it is so early being only a sophomore, but do you like it or do you see how it could get to be old after a while?

Amir Coffey: It has its ups and downs. Sometimes you get tired of talking on the phone and doing all that. It definitely has its ups and downs.

Love this kid! Amir would be a great fit with Minnesota, and I like to think we have a good chance with him.

Top Bottom