Wow: Tracy Claeys not a finalist for the Broyles Award

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Odd:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys not a finalist for the Broyles Award given to the nation's top assistant coach. Don't agree.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/407630487402737664">December 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

We're a "cute" story, but nobody takes our program (as a whole) seriously. But they will, and I think it will be sooner rather than later.

Getting the press behind this team locally is an important precursor for regional and national respect. Nice first step.

Here are the finalist:

Rhett Lashlee, Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks, Auburn
Philip Montgomery, Offensive Coordinator, Baylor
Kurt Roper, Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks, Duke
Jeremy Pruitt, Defensive Coordinator, Florida State
Pat Narduzzi, Defensive Coordinator, Michigan State

People don't like in betweeners. Was Claeys being noticed because he was acting head coach or defensive coordinator? People will pay a lot more attention next year. If we end up ranked and continue playing great defense he'll have a good chance next year.

just stupid. auburn is getting all this love just because of beating bama now. their offense is not that good to the point where the o coordinator should be honored.
sure duke is a fun story but their offense ranks 57th in a crappy conference.
the others I can't really aruge

just stupid. auburn is getting all this love just because of beating bama now. their offense is not that good to the point where the o coordinator should be honored.
sure duke is a fun story but their offense ranks 57th in a crappy conference.
the others I can't really aruge

No offense re: Auburn

2012:
78th in nation rushing (148.42)
115th in total offense (305.00)

2013:
5th in nation rushing (318.3)
15th in total offense (491.00)

Guessing that has more to do with the head coach though. Much in the same way with Duke and Cutcliffe.

No offense re: Auburn

2012:
78th in nation rushing (148.42)
115th in total offense (305.00)

2013:
5th in nation rushing (318.3)
15th in total offense (491.00)

Guessing that has more to do with the head coach though. Much in the same way with Duke and Cutcliffe.

exactly.

Really surprised he was not at least a finalist given the winning streak and the amount of responsibility he took on.

Here are the finalist:

I think Claeys should be on the list, but can't really argue with any of the finalists.

Here are the finalist:

Without knowing the responsibilities of all these coordinators (Cutcliffe, Briles, Malzahn, may all run their offenses), I can't argue Claeys over any of them given the seasons their programs had and the way their respective sides of the ball performed. If the Gophers won 1-2 more games, I think there would be an excellent chance Claeys makes the final 5.

I take exception with Montgomery on the list. Everyone knows that Baylor's offense is Art Briles' baby - he's the creator, game-planner, and architect of their offensive system and philosophy.

I don't think the Gopher defense is good enough to warrant Claeys on the list for just D-coordinator alone, but certainly I think the combination of HC/DC puts him ahead of Montgomery on the list in my view.

The others, I have no problem. Narduzzi is a Rock Star, FYI. I hope he leaves the conference ASAP.

Top Bottom