Minnesota Football: 2013 Regular Season in Review - The Turn and Expectation Reset

Very well written - and true. But next year we have Ohio State and TCU on the schedule. Doing better than 8-4 will be pretty difficult.

Forgive my eternal optimism, but it was obvious to me the swelling confidence the program exudes will translate to higher expectations from play to play next year. I expect 4-5 seniors to step up dramatically and the external view of the Gophers to change from afterthought to centerpiece to any B1G discussion.

Don't want to be cocky but TCU played in a mediocre Big 12 this year and finished 4-8. I know a lot of losses were actually quite close, particularly to ranked teams (like Baylor, Oklahoma, Ok St), but I think that's still a very winnable game next year. Expectations are higher. They're a notch better than SJSU this year (and could very well be a better team next year as well), but we expected to come away 4-0 in NC this year. We should next year as well (even on the road). SJSU is without Fales next year so I'd say the rest of our NC slate is equivalent to this year. We add OSU to the schedule but drop an improving PSU and a stout MSU, while adding lowly Purdue and Illinois.

Therefore, I expect at least 3 BT wins next year (NW, Ill, PUR), with a step forward being upsetting one of Michigan/Nebraska again (as we did this year) and also winning one of Iowa or Wisconsin (both of which were winnable this year and also each team loses a good chunk of talent). Beating powerhouse OSU would be a gift from the G-man himself.

So, it's not unreasonable to expect us to add a BT win relative to this year, maybe get lucky and hit the 6 win mark. 9-10 wins in the regular season, >.500 in the Big Ten. That's not a major leap relative to this year by any stretch.

Don't want to be cocky but TCU played in a mediocre Big 12 this year and finished 4-8. I know a lot of losses were actually quite close, particularly to ranked teams (like Baylor, Oklahoma, Ok St), but I think that's still a very winnable game next year. Expectations are higher. They're a notch better than SJSU this year (and could very well be a better team next year as well), but we expected to come away 4-0 in NC this year. We should next year as well (even on the road). SJSU is without Fales next year so I'd say the rest of our NC slate is equivalent to this year. We add OSU to the schedule but drop an improving PSU and a stout MSU, while adding lowly Purdue and Illinois.

Therefore, I expect at least 3 BT wins next year (NW, Ill, PUR), with a step forward being upsetting one of Michigan/Nebraska again (as we did this year) and also winning one of Iowa or Wisconsin (both of which were winnable this year and also each team loses a good chunk of talent). Beating powerhouse OSU would be a gift from the G-man himself.

So, it's not unreasonable to expect us to add a BT win relative to this year, maybe get lucky and hit the 6 win mark. 9-10 wins in the regular season, >.500 in the Big Ten. That's not a major leap relative to this year by any stretch.

When I look at the schedule for next season, I do have a very hard time realistically seeing a 9 or 10 win season. And, the Conference Schedule against Michigan, and then the last four Conference games against iowa, the OSU, Nebraska and wisky looks like an historically ROUGH way to close out the season. I sure do hope my Golden Gopher Team stays VERY healthy and all four of those teams are really knicked up and are struggling to keep healthy, experienced players on the field. Because, historically, those four teams we close out against, and Michigan have been pretty darn hard on my Gophers during the past thirty or forty years. And, wounded and hurting Illinois, Purdue and Northwestern Teams have done their share of damage to my Gophers as well.

So, you are saying that a real Golden Gopher Football Fan should be really pi$$ed off and upset IF the team doesn't win the new and improved "expectations" of FIVE or SIX Conference wins to go with a sweep of the ooc games?

With expectations like that Coach Kill and his Staff have NO room for error. I think my Golden Gophers will be doing really well to win 7 games when I see that schedule. I really do hope I am wrong...but...I have been watching Big Ten Football for a hell of a LONG time. I just don't see the other Conference Schools throwing in the towel and saying it's Coach Kill's time and it's wren's Golden Gopher Team's turn to win five or six Conference games in 2004...at least not without one heck of a fight. I really DO hope you are right r.b.yarr...but, right now I'll keep my expectations relatively low and those of you with incredibly high expectations for my Golden Gophers are going to have to show me with ACTUAL Conference wins that add up to at LEAST five or maybe even SIX with wins over NU, Illinois, Purdue and maybe Michigan or maybe Nebraska and maybe iowa or wisky as well. Don't get me wrong: I would LOVE to see that, but I just can't "expect" some of those outcomes with the 2014 Conference schedule at this point in time. I was pretty damn encouraged just seeing my Golden Gophers able to move the ball on the ground against MSU in late November of 2013. I'm waiting on pins and needles to see how my Gophers will do in their bowl game.

Regardless of what some people expect, there is a difference between DOING it and EXPECTING it in my opinion.

I hope you are right r.b.yarr....I certainly do hope you are right.

Get your brains around this: the Gophers are 8-4, they are well coached and well conditioned, and they'll be better next year.

I see a likely OOC sweep in 20104, and conference wins against Northwestern, Purdue, and Illinois. That's seven likely wins.

Here's the part some of you are having trouble with: when you're 8-4 and improving, you have to have higher expectations of beating teams like Michigan, Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin.

Here's a prediction (and I'm not set on the Michigan game being a loss)

Eastern Illinois: WIN
Middle Tennessee: WIN
Texas Christian: WIN
San Jose State: WIN
Michigan: LOSS
Northwestern: WIN
Purdue: WIN
Illinois: WIN
Iowa: WIN
Ohio State: LOSS
Nebraska: WIN
Wisconsin: LOSS

That's a realistic path to nine wins - no pie in the sky here.

Get your brains around this: the Gophers are 8-4, they are well coached and well conditioned, and they'll be better next year.

I see a likely OOC sweep in 20104, and conference wins against Northwestern, Purdue, and Illinois. That's seven likely wins.

Here's the part some of you are having trouble with: when you're 8-4 and improving, you have to have higher expectations of beating teams like Michigan, Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin.

Wisconsin: WIN

That's a realistic path to ten wins - no pie in the sky here.

Fixed it for you.

I just HATE losing to wisconsin.... Otherwise I agreed with your post. We are 8-4 this year and that is awesome. But I see this team improving and there is reason to believe we can be atleast 8-4 next year or improve to 9 or 10 wins. We were 1-2 better passes away from winning the wisconsin and/or MSU games. If our offense improves again, which it should with almost everybody returning, I don't see why my expectations can't be a 8 or 9 win team. If our Oline stays healthy I look forward to being able to pound the ball on the ground vs even the best defenses.

Dang it... now i'm excited for next year already and its so far away....

Wisconsin: LOSS

That's a realistic path to nine wins - no pie in the sky here.

Add Wisconsin to the WIN column and I'm with you. We WILL reclaim the axe next year at Madison!!! I live for that one every day.

The success this season has been all gravy. It's been mentioned on here and Kill has mentioned that he'd like 1 more recruiting class before the team is where he'd like it. I think the 4th year is going to be fun. Tough schedule though when you play @Michigan and still end with Iowa, Ohio State, @Nebraska, @Wisconsin. There's a chance to play better but have a similar or worse record - or maybe we just pound them all!

I know I'm dreaming, but I'd love the open of the B1G season 1-0 by beating Michigan. Then we have 3 winnable games - Northwestern, Purdue, @Illinois. Imagine being 4-0 in conference before playing Iowa at home for Floyd?!

Top Bottom