SB Nation has the Gophers in the Gator Bowl against Georgia

CFN also predicted Us vs Georgia in Gator!!

It makes little to no sense that Michigan would jump to the B1G #4 (BWW) and Nebraska falls to #6 (Texas Bowl). Nebraska beat Michigan, and Nebraska has them by two conference games. Lincoln would explode. While I think we deserve the Gator Bowl, I'm afraid with the log jam around the 8-4 mark, we will be passed over again and we will head back to Houston. Hopefully we can get K-State instead of T-Tech if that were to happen, though.

Playing a team like Georgia would be awesome!

It makes little to no sense that Michigan would jump to the B1G #4 (BWW) and Nebraska falls to #6 (Texas Bowl). Nebraska beat Michigan, and Nebraska has them by two conference games. Lincoln would explode. While I think we deserve the Gator Bowl, I'm afraid with the log jam around the 8-4 mark, we will be passed over again and we will head back to Houston. Hopefully we can get K-State instead of T-Tech if that were to happen, though.

Nebraska wouldn't mind playing an old Big 12 team.

Both the BWW and the Texas Bowls are against Big 12 Teams. I'd be hard pressed to find a Husker fan that would rather play in the "lesser" game, though. I imagine they'd much rather play a team like Texas instead of Kansas State or Texas Tech.

I know I said this on the other bowl thread, but Michigan passing us would be such a travesty. It is ridiculous that these things are determined by historical program performance and not what went on on the field this year. I hope that Michigan doesn't pass us up, because if they do, it will just show how pathetic the bowl committees are.

If the Gator Bowl gets Georgia, they won't worry about our fans traveling, it'll be like a Georgia home game.

I know I said this on the other bowl thread, but Michigan passing us would be such a travesty. It is ridiculous that these things are determined by historical program performance and not what went on on the field this year. I hope that Michigan doesn't pass us up, because if they do, it will just show how pathetic the bowl committees are.

The bowls were started and set-up(by the hosting communities) to provide business and financial impact for the hosting community(s).

The bowls were started and set-up to provide business and financial impact for the hosting community(s).

Very true. The Gophers did a great job getting to their 6 wins early and getting their spot in a Bowl Game. No reason to start complaining about how they are now being jobbed. They had two chances to guarantee a Florida Bowl and they didn't get it done.

This. Even though Nebraska and Michigan had disappointing seasons, we have the same overall record as Nebraska and only 1 more win than Michigan. I would imagine bowl reps will see a down MI/NE traveling fan base as still better than a slightly excited MN traveling fan base.

That said, I would definitely travel to Florida to watch us play Georgia on NYD.

I'd like to play any other team than Texas Tech, even though I think we'd win that game by 10. Give us a team like Georgia, Ole Miss, Texas, Virginia Tech, UCLA, USC or a good team like one of those teams. I don't know how these things are matched up, but Georgia would be a great test. Think of what a huge win that would be for our program. We do recruit down there too.

A team that beats you by 29 points and then jumps you in the bowl hierarchy because they have more/better fans, better ratings is a travesty?

Very true. The Gophers did a great job getting to their 6 wins early and getting their spot in a Bowl Game. No reason to start complaining about how they are now being jobbed. They had two chances to guarantee a Florida Bowl and they didn't get it done.

if we would have one those games then we would have an argument for capitol one/Outback but not have gotten the invitation, we would have gotten the short end of the stick either way whether we would have won or lost our last 2 games, its just us having an argument for a pretty good bowl but getting only a decent bowl versus having an argument for a great bowl but only getting a pretty good bowl

I wonder if the BWW Bowl would pass up Nebraska vs Texas with the bad blood between those two schools?

A team that beats you by 29 points and then jumps you in the bowl hierarchy because they have more/better fans, better ratings is a travesty?

It is when they have a weaker record than you and weaker conference record. They are a worse B1G team than we are this year, we should be ahead of them. Number/quality of fans should be irrelevant. Their game against us was one game, we played 12 this year and so did they. If they had thumped us by 29 and then tied us in B1G standings, I would shut up.

I wonder if the BWW Bowl would pass up Nebraska vs Texas with the bad blood between those two schools?

I imagine if Nebraska and Texas are still there for the BWW selection committee, it'd have to be a slam dunk for them to pick those two. Probably the most qualified in terms of record left available, with the history of those two schools, and the fact that both travel very well, it'd be hard to imagine that bowl not selling out.

I count 15 players from Florida and a few more from Georgia. If players friends, families and extended families show up in #'s to the Gator Bowl along with fans that would be a good showing. Much better showing than what went to Texas last year I would say.

How fitting would it be that Minnesota would be represented in a bowl game that a Minnesota company sponsored?

As a Gopher fan living in Georgia, the Bulldogs are my second favorite team. Even with all of the injuries Georgia has and has had, the Bulldogs would easily be the best team the Gophers would face all year from an athlete standpoint. Not sure if the Gophers are ready for that but the only way to find out is to step on the field with the Dogs. I really hope this happens. Georgia's defense is young and suspect and I think the Gophers could really do some damage with Cobb and the running game. On the flip side, Todd Gurley is the best back in the game right now. If not for the injury early against Clemson and then again against LSU, he'd probably be in the Hiesman conversation right now. I would love to see our improved defense try to go up against that offense. It would be a great measuring stick to close a very good year. The way these Gophers play I wouldn't count them out against any team. A win over an SEC team to end the year would be fantastic!!!

Go Gophers!!!!!

How fitting would it be that Minnesota would be represented in a bowl game that a Minnesota company sponsored?

The last time that happened was after the 1999 season with the Norwest Bank Sun Bowl. The 2003 Sun Bowl was sponsored by San Francisco based Wells Fargo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two questions, when do they pick the bowl participants, and do we want OSU or MSU

per ESPN:

We think the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl would still like to reunite Nebraska with an old Big 12 foe. And when it comes down to it, the Gator won't be able to say no to the Michigan brand. So that leaves Minnesota back in Texas, a fate the Gophers could have avoided had they won at least one of their final two games.

Our final bowl projections of the regular season:

VIZIO BCS National Championship Game, Jan. 6: Ohio State
Rose Bowl Game Presented by VIZIO, Jan. 1: Michigan State
Capital One Bowl, Jan. 1: Wisconsin
Outback Bowl, Jan. 1: Iowa
Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl, Dec. 28: Nebraska
TaxSlayer.com Gator Bowl, Jan. 1: Michigan
Texas Bowl, Dec. 27: Minnesota
Heart of Dallas Bowl, Jan. 1: not filled
Little Caesars Pizza Bowl, Dec. 26: not filled

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/90601/big-ten-bowl-projections-week-14-5

Go Gophers!!

Concur. And gave Ohio State all they could handle. Michigan's a better team, and they'll fill some hotels.

Michigan also stands a much better chance of drawing locals in Jax and hasn't been there since 1/1/11, thus coming across as new enough blood.

It is when they have a weaker record than you and weaker conference record. They are a worse B1G team than we are this year, we should be ahead of them. Number/quality of fans should be irrelevant. Their game against us was one game, we played 12 this year and so did they. If they had thumped us by 29 and then tied us in B1G standings, I would shut up.

That's easy to say, but the Gator Bowl readily admits that they take into account fan support when choosing a team, and let's be honest, Michigan traditionally travels far better than the Gophers, and has a lot more fan support nationally than we do. Now it's hard to say how well the Wolverine fan base would travel with what is a very down year for their program, but based on tradition, the Gator will likely choose them over us.

OK, 9/27/2014 go into the big house and snatch the Jug.

I think many bowl committees see otherwise.

I don't dispute that they do. I am commenting on the absurdity of a postseason system where so much of the seeding is based on things that don't happen on the field.

As for the head to head game, its true that Michigan thumped us. However, we outplayed them by two wins in the other 7 conference games. Head to head is a good tiebreaker, but it shouldn't make up for a lower spot in the standings. People can say we should have won one of our last two, but I would counter that Michigan should have won one more of the 5 B1G games they lost.

Top Bottom