GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 12/1/13

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Jerry Kill's comments and responses on today's Sports Huddle:

1) Sid opened the show by asking about the difference of this year's team and last year's group at the end of the season: "It's kind of an amazing story," said Kill. "We came up short against a tough team . . . (Minnesota had possession time) 38 minutes to 21 minutes - 70 to 50 snaps - red zone three times . . . we didn't finish . . . did a lot of good things . . . give them credit, they stiffened up (when Minnesota got into the red zone)."

Kill finished up saying, "Played hard and continue to get better . . . (now) need to win the bowl game."

2) Sid asked if he knew where they'd be playing (bowl game): Kill quickly responded, "No idea . . BCS needs to be played out (conference championships) - Wisconsin got beat yesterday. Need to win bowl game . . . we're getting better and move forward."

3) Sid made a negative comment about the Gophers passing game: Kill quickly and tersely responded, "Played two good teams (Wisconsin and Michigan State)." Kill sounded pleased with the play of the team's young receivers, "Young receivers did a good job . . . missed some passes . . . whole team needs to get better."

Kill then turned his attention to the start of the second half when Minnesota was trailing 7-3, "Michigan State ran two picks," on their touchdown drive and went ahead 14-3. Kill said their second touchdown was big, especially against a very good defensive team as the Spartans.

Mona followed up by asking what the difference was between their picks and what was called against the Gophers in the Nebraska game. Kill's immediate response, "Sometimes they call it and sometimes they don't."

Kill reiterated an earlier comment by saying it's a tough game to lose when you possess the ball as the Gophers did - 38 minutes to 21 minutes. He also mentioned the turnovers and not finishing in the red zone. But he also was pleased with the team's effort and their toughness (physical play).

4) Sid then mentioned that the Gopher offense had gone 10 quarters without a touchdown: Kill's comeback, "We're 8 and 4 . . . (we're) playing a bowl game . . . had opportunities to make plays, didn't . . . kids playing hard." As to the missed opportunities, "You can blame me for that, not the kids," said Kill.

5) Sid mentioned seeing Kill talking to the Spartan head coach after the game: "Number one, he (Mark) has great respect for what we've done at Minnesota. He's done a great job at Michigan State . . . we've developed a great relationship." Kill said he received a text from Mark saying he appreciates the job Jerry and his staff are doing at Minnesota and how they do it. (Sorry, I wasn't sure of the spelling of MSU's head coach's last name.)

6) Sid mentioned the advantages that MSU has over Minnesota in recruiting: "Good players are what it comes down to to be successful," said Kill. He then said they'd be on the road the next two weeks recruiting. He also said winning programs start with defense and a good kicking game. He finished saying, "We're moving forward."

7) Sid asked about replacing the departing seniors: Kill's first response to Sid's question, "They've done a great job . . . there's a story on every one of them . . . they're all playing at a high level." He also mentioned the transition that they underwent with the coaching change and that they stuck it out and bought into the program. (You could tell by his voice that he has great respect for the departing seniors.) He finished the question, "We have to go out and replace them. Didn't finish the job yesterday, (we need to) finish the job in recruiting."

8) Sid asked what the players itinerary is now that the season has ended and they wait for a bowl invitation: "Depends on the next two weeks," Kill replied. (Bowl invitation will dictate their schedule in December.) Kill said the players will be focusing on academics - "always do." They'll also be lifting three times a week and other conditioning drills, "Physically we're a better team this year . . . we played physical."

Recruiting: the coaches will be out the next weeks on the road recruiting, "Need explosive play and that's what we're trying to find in our recruiting efforts." Recruits will be visiting this Friday and Saturday.

9) Mona asked about Minnesota's weather and recruiting - referencing last week's cold weather: Kill said it hasn't been a question with the recruits. He went on to thank the fans for their turn out last week and staying to the end of the game - made a positive impression on the recruits - and that he didn't see a lot of red in the stands.

He also mentioned the fact that Wisconsin and Michigan State are losing a lot of players. He said the recruits are positive about Minnesota's improvement and the direction of the program.

10) Sid said he hoped Coach Kill would be at an upcoming Dunkers meeting: Kill said it all depends on recruiting and where he's at . . . recruiting comes first.

11) Sid asked if any of the seniors would be in post season all-star games: Ra'Shede will be in the Senior Bowl and Brock Vereen is looking at a couple choices.

12) Mona had a question about the playing surface and the cause of Cobb's cut knee: Kill said David Cobb had a couple stitches, however, he didn't give a cause for the injury. He spoke highly of David Cobb and that he rushed for 100 yards against the stout Spartan defense. He cited Cobb as an example of a player staying with a program and growing up and good things coming your way.

13) Sid asked if any of the seniors were NFL material: Kill replied, "No question." He then cited Ra'Shede Hageman, Brock Vereen and Aaron Hill. He also said, "I'm probably leaving someone off."

He finished the question by talking about the importance of college football to the state and the university. Winning football makes a lot of things possible. (Possibly referring to financial support as well as public attention.)

14) Sid's final question was about redshirts that will help next year: Before he discussed redshirt players, Kill cited true freshman - defensive back - Jalen Myrick. He sounded pleased when he mentioned the Georgian, "Jalen Myrick played a lot yesterday."

Redshirts mentioned: Berkley Edwards ("lightening in a bottle"), Nate Wozniak (didn't mention his name specifically; however, he talked about his size), and Alex Mayes. He also sounded excited about defensive backs that are redshirts (no names given).

He concluded, "Our future looks bright."

Go Gophers!!

Thanks again DL. You are like clockwork!

The thing I noticed and truly applaud Kill for instilling is the physical nature of the game he coaches. Hard, clean football that we haven't seen around here since Holtz' brief tenure. Outside of the Iowa game, I thought we stood toe-to-toe with every team we played and dished out as good as we got. That's a mindset and I credit Kill for establishing it.

Again, thanks DL.

7) Sid asked about replacing the departing seniors: Kill's first response to Sid's question, "They've done a great job . . . there's a story on every one of them . . . they're all playing at a high level." He also mentioned the transition that they underwent with the coaching change and that they stuck it out and bought into the program. (You could tell by his voice that he has great respect for the departing seniors.) He finished the question, "We have to go out and replace them. Didn't finish the job yesterday, (we need to) finish the job in recruiting."

The thing I noticed and truly applaud Kill for instilling is the physical nature of the game he coaches. Hard, clean football that we haven't seen around here since Holtz' brief tenure. Outside of the Iowa game, I thought we stood toe-to-toe with every team we played and dished out as good as we got. That's a mindset and I credit Kill for establishing it.

Thnx. You could tell that Kill was very disappointed in losing even though they did well against such a good team.

I know people appreciate it but I think it's under-appreciated. It's one thing to play tough and physical and it's another to play smart and disciplined. Kill has done a great job getting kids to play physical AND disciplined...That is a great place to build a program off of

First off, thanks once again DL for the summary. I look forward to it every Sunday

As to the missed opportunities, "You can blame me for that, not the kids," said Kill.

For all the haters who say Kill always throws kids under the bus!

He spoke highly of David Cobb and that he rushed for 100 yards against the stout Spartan defense.

How many guys rushed for 100 against MSU this year? I'm working on a test (work designation) and don't want to take the time to look it up. I'll bet it's a small list.

Well done again, DL. I really appreciate your commentary and impressions. It certainly adds a bonus feature and your opinions seem spot on when I later listen to the podcast. You should post more in this forum and some here, probably myself included, should post less. lol

First off, thanks once again DL for the summary. I look forward to it every Sunday
For all the haters who say Kill always throws kids under the bus!

How many guys rushed for 100 against MSU this year? I'm working on a test (work designation) and don't want to take the time to look it up. I'll bet it's a small list.

1. Are people still making that claim? Pretty scurrilous claim if people are still making it. Kill stopped doing that a few games into the season in 2010 didn't he?

2. Two, only two people have done that against MSU this year and Cobb was hurt for part of the game.

I know people appreciate it but I think it's under-appreciated. It's one thing to play tough and physical and it's another to play smart and disciplined. Kill has done a great job getting kids to play physical AND disciplined...That is a great place to build a program off of

They also don't quit when something doesn't go their way. All teams have peaks and valleys but this team plays for 60 minutes.

Since the Big 10 has chosen to take numbers off the Officials, not publish who officiates games, or list the officials by number. This statement is an indictment of the Big 10.

"Mona followed up by asking what the difference was between their picks and what was called against the Gophers in the Nebraska game. Kill's immediate response, 'Sometimes they call it and sometimes they don't.'"

They also don't quit when something doesn't go their way. All teams have peaks and valleys but this team plays for 60 minutes.

Unlike a few Gopherholers... I'll even replace "quit" with "jump off the bandwagon". What a great, unexpected season this has been.

First off, thanks once again DL for the summary. I look forward to it every Sunday For all the haters who say Kill always throws kids under the bus! How many guys rushed for 100 against MSU this year? I'm working on a test (work designation) and don't want to take the time to look it up. I'll bet it's a small list.

The other was Abdullah who ran for 123.

Since the Big 10 has chosen to take numbers off the Officials, not publish who officiates games, or list the officials by number. This statement is an indictment of the Big 10.

"Mona followed up by asking what the difference was between their picks and what was called against the Gophers in the Nebraska game. Kill's immediate response, 'Sometimes they call it and sometimes they don't.'"

I saw both of those plays while watching live and rewound to watch again. While both were technically pick plays, both times Eric Murray got caught up against both a MSU receiver and MN dback running a crossing route the other way. Eric Murray (and I didn't see it happen to him again, so maybe he did finally figure it out) has to learn how to see that play coming and avoid the traffic. The play is designed for him to get lost and that's exactly what happened. He's been our best cover corner and he's still young, so let's hope he learns from this. So, all in all, not sure either play really deserved a flag although you could have thrown one.

Great thanks to you, DL.

The program DID turn the corner this season. Kill is awakening a sleeping giant. This is football played right! Be proud of our Gophers. I would love to end the season spanking a name SEC team in the Gator Bowl.

If it wasn't for DL65 giving us these summaries, none of us would know a damned thing. Thanks DL, you are the MVGHP.

I appreciate Kill trying to take the blame off the kids for the offense's 10 quarter touchdown shutout streak, but let's be fair to the coaches. The coaches did not miss a wide open Dos Equis on fourth down against Wisconsin, the coaches did not drop easy passes, the coaches did not underthrow receivers who had a step on their man to give the defense a chance to break it up, and the coaches did not drop the football on the 10 yard line. I feel like the coaching has been pretty solid for the offense, and the kids have just made some bad plays on offense. They've made some good plays too, but the way our offense is executing right now is simply not ok.

The other was Abdullah who ran for 123.

He's the best in the conference.

After that, I just might take Cobb, who has gotten better every game.

I couldn't believe it when he came to a full stop before going out of bounds and decided to tango with two Sparty defenders. Me love Cobb. Me loved Cobb after his first two carries this year.

I appreciate Kill trying to take the blame off the kids for the offense's 10 quarter touchdown shutout streak, but let's be fair to the coaches. The coaches did not miss a wide open Dos Equis on fourth down against Wisconsin, the coaches did not drop easy passes, the coaches did not underthrow receivers who had a step on their man to give the defense a chance to break it up, and the coaches did not drop the football on the 10 yard line. I feel like the coaching has been pretty solid for the offense, and the kids have just made some bad plays on offense. They've made some good plays too, but the way our offense is executing right now is simply not ok.

Agree for the most part. They really needed a handful of plays the last two games and both games change completely. Maybe they lose regardless (never know how the other team will respond), but it just felt like so many times they needed a key play it didn't happen. I hope they can get a couple receivers to step up and get Nelson to continue to improve. The running game is obviously very solid. If they can improve the passing game a little it will really make a huge difference.

Of course on the coaching part I'd like to see them work on a quicker (not fast) tempo at times. That nearly 10 minute drive where Leidner fumbled was awesome but I'm not convinced even if they scored a TD that they would have had enough time to get back into field goal range. Heaven forbid if they would have just gotten a field goal and been one TD away from OT. Note, I'm not asking for a run and shoot offense, just not taking every second of the play clock every play (exaggeration)

Top Bottom