Border Battle Cup

Ski U Master

Reaction score
According to my calculations, the Gophers only have to win one more sport to clinch the Border Battle Cup thanks to a split in Madison in softball. There is still Rowing, M Track, W Track, M Golf, and W Golf left to go, Go Gophers!

The Gophers have 415 points, compared to Wisconsin's 265, a difference of 150 points. There are 200 points left at stake, 40 per sport, so the Gophers need to win two of the remaining three. Both track and field teams won the indoor meets, hopefully they can replicate the performance in the outdoor championships.

I don't think so, If we win one of the last five events we win. Here is the result if we win the next matchup and Wisky sweeps the rest:

MINNESOTA: 415+40+00+00+00+00= 455
WISCONSIN: 265+00+40+40+40+40= 425

Border Battle Cup

Thank god the SCONI's dont have a drinking team.

they'd win every competition in that battle!!

in the past when Sconi'land won the cup, did they celebrate buy drinking Leinie's outta it?

The Gophers do only need one win despite the 200 points available. In head to head competition when one team wins you are doing two things. First you are adding points to your own total and secondly you are taking away points that the other team can win. So in reality every 40 point win is an 80 point swing. In the end the magic number to reach for the cup is 445 points which the Gophers will do with one more win. Which shouldn't be much of a problem with both the track teams winning in the outdoor, a good rowing team, and two equally competitive golf teams where anything can happen.

My goal is that they break 530 which is the previous high for either team in total points.

I don't think so, If we win one of the last five events we win. Here is the result if we win the next matchup and Wisky sweeps the rest:

MINNESOTA: 415+40+00+00+00+00= 455
WISCONSIN: 265+00+40+40+40+40= 425

Border Battle Cup

D'oh! Yea, I guess Mass Comm was the right carrier choice for me, I'm terrible at math!

I think that since TDS stopped sponsoring this contest that the U and Madison should pry the slab of bacon football trophy out of the badger's drunken hands and compete for that every year.

Currently it's locked away in a trophy case in Madison, because the Badger's "lost" it when we beat them during WWII, and told them to hang onto it as the country had more important things to worry about than football trophies at the time, and then they just never gave it back. Obviously, Wisconsin wants it because we didn't take it, but it belongs to us as much as it does them.

Trophies like that are made to be fought over, and this athletic border battle would be a great fit. The school with the trophy could have it sitting out during every home game against the rival, and it would give the TV/Radio folks another thing to talk about during breaks in the game. All the athletes could be helping "bring home the bacon" for their school. It could be a great way to boost our two schools' rivalry in the media and around the BigTen/country.

GO GOPHERS!

The Gophers women's golf team is currently one shot back of the Badgers with one day to go in the Big Ten Tournament. If they hadn't had such a terrible first day they would have it in the bag. They did come back strong with two solid days to get back into it. Here's hoping they end the Border Battle tomorrow.

THey're now 10 strokes back of the Badgers, they'd need an amazing effort to pull this off.

At or just short of the turn for most teams on round 3 of the Big Ten Championship, Gophers lead by 3 over Ohio State, 11 strokes better than Wisconsin, who sits in 9th.

Rowing is also today, so we should keep an eye on that.

Badgers took rowing today, and the men's golf team sits four strokes ahead of Wisconsin heading into the final day.

Looks like Gophers clinch it with men's golf. They'll add more when the track teams compete.

Even though we've got it won, wouldn't mind expanding the lead with the Track teams!

Top Bottom